2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

19 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Can someone please tell me why Ryan Finley is a projected 4th Round Pick?

Pros:

- Smartest QB in College Football

- Fooball IQ is top notch as well as overall IQ. I expect a solid wonderlic score.

- Pro Style Offense

- Amazing accuracy on all three phases, short, medium, and deep.

- Makes all his progressions and does it at the speed of an NFL QB

- Great release, his release reminds me so much of Tom Brady.

- Throws guys open

- Only throws where his guys can catch it

- Absolutely amazing pocket presence

- Average mobility

- Can read defenses quick, both pre snap, and at the start of a play.

- Makes accurate adjustments at LoS.

- Amazing touch on his passes

Cons:

- Too skinny

- Very average arm strength and can tend to under throw deep balls slightly (but this is greatly over exaggerated. I'd say his arm is stronger than Alex Smith. And I'd at least put his arm on par with Deshaun Watson)

Can't think of anymore cons....

I think you're exaggerating your "Pros" list a bit. From what I saw, there were times he locked on to his first read a ton, didn't really throw with a ton of placement, etc. I didn't see "amazing accuracy" or "absolutely amazing pocket presence", I saw pretty good accuracy that regressed quite a bit downfield and a player with pretty good pocket presence but who sometimes preferred to sink backwards 10 yards under pressure rather than stepping up. He is also, as others have said, 25. To me, that means there isn't as much time for a team to develop him once he reaches the NFL, so he has to be more polished, and I, for one, didn't see all the stuff you said above.

19 hours ago, Forge said:

I honestly want to say nobody...but just about every quarterback who gets taken in the first is done so through a trade up or #1 overall pick. But I'm going to stick with the same team that would draft him if it didn't take a trade up and say it's the giants. I think they really like Haskins (or will like him). 

Would the Jets make a deal with the Giants?  Or would their demands be too high?

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Would the Jets make a deal with the Giants?  Or would their demands be too high?

That's actually with whom I see the Giants trading. Rare, but I think the Giants would want ahead of the raiders (just in case), and it's known the Jets are open for business and would like to get that second rounder back they no longer have. 

Problem of course is that the Giants lack a  pick from the supplemental I think, so they are already dealing from a short deck

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's actually with whom I see the Giants trading. Rare, but I think the Giants would want ahead of the raiders (just in case), and it's known the Jets are open for business and would like to get that second rounder back they no longer have. 

Problem of course is that the Giants lack a  pick from the supplemental I think, so they are already dealing from a short deck

I mean, it's the most obvious trading partner, but there's going to be the stigma of trading a potential franchise QB to a team in the same city.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I mean, it's the most obvious trading partner, but there's going to be the stigma of trading a potential franchise QB to a team in the same city.

I wonder if they've ever completed a trade. Hmmm. I mean, if the rangers / devils can do it in hockey, and the dodgers and Giants in baseball, surely these two can find common ground

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Problem of course is that the Giants lack a couple pick from the supplemental I think, so they are already dealing from a short deck

I don't think I've ever heard of them making a trade, but then again I'm not digging into decades of history to find it out.  I'd assume it'd involve a '20 FRP if they're getting a deal done.  Something like first and 4th this year, and a first and 5th next year or something along those lines.

8 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Saw the throw velocity numbers from the combine and was surprised by them, a few didn't align at all with what I would have guessed from watching them. Grier #1 at 59 mph, and Tyree Jackson only threw 54 mph (I would have guessed around 60 for him)

Yeah, there were some oddities in Raps report.  Grier and Rypien are two guys where i think you can see some arm strength limitations downfield.  I'm a big fan of Rypien, but it's something that still concerns me with him...and i thought the combine showed that too.  He had some deep balls die the way they do on tape.

But there was also some of the other stuff where Rypien was ripping balls at targets in some of the other drills and it made me really think he's got more than enough arm for the NFL.

I want to know if anyone fell below the threshold on ball velocity, more than anything else.  Especially with Daniel Jones...who probably hit his "fastest throw" with a kinda ridiculous non-football windup crowhop.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:24 PM, CWood21 said:

I don't think I've ever heard of them making a trade, but then again I'm not digging into decades of history to find it out.  I'd assume it'd involve a '20 FRP if they're getting a deal done.  Something like first and 4th this year, and a first and 5th next year or something along those lines.

I don’t think the Giants have to trade up at all to get Haskins.  There really isn’t another serious threat to get him if the Jaguars sign Foles.  I suppose the dolphins could trade way up.  But it seems like 90% of mock drafts have Haskins at #6.  I’d stay put and take my chances rather than giving up next years first round pick. If Haskins isn’t there, a top notch pass rusher will be

3 hours ago, Gmen said:

I don’t think the Giants have to trade up at all to get Haskins.  There really isn’t another serious threat to get him if the Jaguars sign Foles.  I suppose the dolphins could trade way up.  But it seems like 90% of mock drafts have Haskins at #6.  I’d stay put and take my chances rather than giving up next years first round pick. If Haskins isn’t there, a top notch pass rusher will be

I disagree. If the Giants have zeroed in on Haskins, you have to ensure you get him. There are no fallback plans when it comes to a franchise quarterback. Trading up to 3 pretty much ensures you get him. I don't see the Niners trading out of 2 for anything if Bosa is there. 

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

I disagree. If the Giants have zeroed in on Haskins, you have to ensure you get him. There are no fallback plans when it comes to a franchise quarterback. Trading up to 3 pretty much ensures you get him. I don't see the Niners trading out of 2 for anything if Bosa is there. 

You don't give up your 1st round pick next year unless you absolutely have to.  I'm sure the Giants have a better sense for how hot the market is for Haskins, so if they feel they have to, go for it.  But a 1st seems steep to move up 3 draft slots.

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

You don't give up your 1st round pick next year unless you absolutely have to.  I'm sure the Giants have a better sense for how hot the market is for Haskins, so if they feel they have to, go for it.  But a 1st seems steep to move up 3 draft slots.

The price was three seconds just last year. That's certainly first round value, though obviously didn't include a first