2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

12 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

Just saw Kyler Murray's Dan Patrick interview. Ouch. He looked like a socially awkward teenager on camera for the first time. There have been successful NFL QBs that are quieter than usual but I've never seen something like that.

Yeah it was an odd interview but was also like some comedy bit, Dan Patrick is in that vein though more comedy than real sports talk.  It could be an issue him being that soft spoken for sure, compare that to freaking dude Baker Mayfield last year, yeah it is not even close.  Baker is a better leader in every sense of the word vocally and is a dudes QB where Kyler is calm which is good but not sure he would inspire his teammates vocally, but if he makes plays that inspires people as well and he did that many times this past year for OU.  So ultimately it might not be a big deal if he can ball out, but yeah if vocally speaking is all that matters he could struggle.  

He is likable though, chill dude where Josh Rosen last year, damn that guy was greatly unlikable or at least I thought so.  I think Kyler would not be hard to get along with so that is a positive on his side and be a teammate, now will that make him a great leader will see.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

If you are going to take a flyer on a quarterback from mid-rounds on, who is your guy? I think mine is Jordan Taa'amu. I would not spend a high pick, but he's sound, accurate and has room to develop. 

Agreed. If he is there in the 4th round there is good value.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

Gardner Minshew

He along with Tyree Jackson are my late round sleepers.  Minshew bears an  uncanny resemblance with B. Mayfield. Plays with great confidence as opposed Blough who has great over confidence.

Jackson seems to be a hybrid of Brady and Newton. OTOH I see a little too much Pax Lynch.  Needs lots of work on decision making and mechanics. Basically needs to built from the ground up but has a very high ceiling.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

If you are going to take a flyer on a quarterback from mid-rounds on, who is your guy? I think mine is Jordan Taa'amu. I would not spend a high pick, but he's sound, accurate and has room to develop. 

Assuming you mean Day 3, it's Brett Rypien for me. I like Ta'amu's natural velocity, quick release, accuracy, and mobility. But I am troubled by how he sees the field and his tendency to scramble instead of hang in the pocket. I understand why somebody would take a chance on him. He doesn't have a lot of experience, so if you can develop the mental side of his game, he could be a quality starting QB. Still, I think Rypien could be a Kirk Cousins or Andy Dalton level QB if things go well. He sees the field well, he throws with anticipation, he is adequate in terms of all the physical tools, and he has quality accuracy. The big issues with him are his decision-making under pressure, his lack of ball security (I saw him fumble four or five times in one game), and him not feeling pressure well in the pocket.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Assuming you mean Day 3, it's Brett Rypien for me. I like Ta'amu's natural velocity, quick release, accuracy, and mobility. But I am troubled by how he sees the field and his tendency to scramble instead of hang in the pocket. I understand why somebody would take a chance on him. He doesn't have a lot of experience, so if you can develop the mental side of his game, he could be a quality starting QB. Still, I think Rypien could be a Kirk Cousins or Andy Dalton level QB if things go well. He sees the field well, he throws with anticipation, he is adequate in terms of all the physical tools, and he has quality accuracy. The big issues with him are his decision-making under pressure, his lack of ball security (I saw him fumble four or five times in one game), and him not feeling pressure well in the pocket.

Man, I keep forgetting Rypien. Yeah, he'd my other choice for sure. Only guys in that range that aren't 'career backup' ceiling type talents for me. 

• Like 1

Agree with the previous mentions of Rypien.  Seems to be pretty consistently overlooked for some reason.  His physical tools are pretty underwhelming - smallish, not a very athletic scrambler, isn't going to be threatening deep on a rope at the next level.  But he's got some of the most impressive anticipation and touch in the class.  He's got a pretty mature handle on where to put the ball, and the accuracy to get it there.  Combined with that anticipation, looks like plenty of zip on the short to intermediate range.  It's really just pushing it deep where he becomes very much a high arc "spot thrower" that i think limits his "upside".  But he's got some really pretty passes in that mold anyway.  That combo can still take a guy pretty far..

I kinda like Stidham at the other end of that scale though too.  If we're calling him a mid-rounder - though it sounds like he'll probably be more of a Day2 guy.  He's got more of the physical tools as a mobile guy and with more of an arm, but really inconsistent with the anticipation and placement parts where Rypien excels.

Ta'amu's got moments where he looks really intriguing, but there are way too many moments where you just wonder what on earth he's even looking at.  He's a bigtime project.  There are serious natural traits and plenty of "good moments" there to justify it at some point i guess.

I'm a bit interested in Nick Fitzgerald as a late-round flyer.  I don't really see him as a full time QB, even as a backup...but his running ability makes him intriguing if you wanted to try something with him a la Taysom Hill or whatever.  Hard to assign much value to him as a potential "gimmick player" though, and there doesn't look like much future as a true passer.

9 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Agree with the previous mentions of Rypien.  Seems to be pretty consistently overlooked for some reason.  His physical tools are pretty underwhelming - smallish, not a very athletic scrambler, isn't going to be threatening deep on a rope at the next level.

I don't think his physical traits are all that bad. They're not excellent, but they're more around the NFL average than they are below it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don't think his physical traits are all that bad. They're not excellent, but they're more around the NFL average than they are below it.

I wouldn't say the physical traits are really "bad".  He's not really fatally deficient in anything.  They're just underwhelming.  A lot of "good enough", and nothing that really stands out.  Not the sort of thing that's going to generate a lot of buzz in gym shorts season that we're into now.  If the hype is this flat coming off the real football, it's hard to see his physical tools doing much for him now.

11 hours ago, Danger said:

100% gut feeling.

Something tells me Haskins is going to be a serious bust, but 1 or more of the "tier 2" QBs in this draft will exceed expectations.

not sure if he will be a serious bust but it would surprise me if he becomes a franchise player. 

15 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

Murray and Haskins are both boom or bust types.  Either they'll be starters, or be out of the league in 3 years.

nah Haskins is going to be a player in this league you can't bust with that type of accuracy, decision making, and arm strength 

he's going to be good flat out 100%

On 2/15/2019 at 9:56 AM, jrry32 said:

Just got a chance to watch Easton Stick, and I'm changing my pick lol. I really like that kid in the Rams' scheme.

• Like 1

I think all of the 1st Round QBs bust in this draft. Haskins and Lock might be ok but never Top 15. Jones will bust, Murray will bust after maybe an RG3 year and everyone figures him out. 

The value here is absolutely the mid rounds. Will Grier and Ryan Finley are my top QBs in this draft. If either fall to the 3rd, that’s amazing value. Grier reminds me of a better version of Derek Carr while Ryan Finley just plays so much like Tom Brady. Not athletically gifted in any way what so ever and plays very similar. 

I would not be shocked to see none of these QBs ever become a Top 15 QB though. Pretty bad QB class overall. However it’s a good class to gamble with a Mid 2nd-Mid 3rd Rounder, lot of value there.