2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

I have a feeling it's going to be someone not on this list. A dark-horse candidate that comes from nowhere.  I don't really like any of these QB's right now. I think any of the top 5 QB's from this past year's draft class would have gone #1 in this upcoming one. 

• Like 1

For one Jacob Eason has to sit out this 2018 season so he is not really an option at QB for the 2019 draft.  Should be very fun to watch him on Washington but going to have to wait a year to do that.  It is not that great of QB class and honestly might be a little refreshing to not talk about QBs constantly which is what most did this past draft with all the high ranked QBs in it.

The QB group cannot really say one is ahead of the rest because they are all kind of in the same boat.  Talented but still have a ways to go to be considered a top QB prospect.  I would say two maybe three outside of Eason has 1st round ability on this list.  Will see how they all play this year but many will have to greatly improve off of what they have done to be considered a top QB prospect.  

14 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

For one Jacob Eason has to sit out this 2018 season so he is not really an option at QB for the 2019 draft.  Should be very fun to watch him on Washington but going to have to wait a year to do that.  It is not that great of QB class and honestly might be a little refreshing to not talk about QBs constantly which is what most did this past draft with all the high ranked QBs in it.

The QB group cannot really say one is ahead of the rest because they are all kind of in the same boat.  Talented but still have a ways to go to be considered a top QB prospect.  I would say two maybe three outside of Eason has 1st round ability on this list.  Will see how they all play this year but many will have to greatly improve off of what they have done to be considered a top QB prospect.  

How come Eason has to sit out but Patterson doesn't? That doesn't seem fair. 

As for 2019, I'm on the Stidham/Grier bandwagon. 

29 minutes ago, Classic said:

How come Eason has to sit out but Patterson doesn't? That doesn't seem fair. 

As for 2019, I'm on the Stidham/Grier bandwagon. 

Patterson allowed to transfer because of the Ole Miss situation with Freeze and his case they didn’t disclose to him the severity of that situation.  Ole Miss is objecting but seems like he’s going to be eligible.  

Eason is transferring to get a chance to play in a better situation for him since he lost the job.  You have to sit out a year in those cases.  

None of these guys stood out in their second last year like Darnold/Rosen.   Top-end wise I’m not ever going to be as high on this year’s class because prolonged success means a lot in projecting floor.   Grier and Thorson are the 2 I’ll track (latter esp since he could fall to bargain territory if he misses a fair amount of the 2018 recovering from his New Year’s ACL injury and January 2018 surgery).  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Elusive_Tiger said:

All in on Justin Herbert.

I don't see it at all with him from what I've seen. I think he'll be next year's "Mason Rudolph/Davis Webb 1st round talk but really a 3rd rounder" guy.

I haven't really watched any of these guys, but my favorite to emerge as the top of the class is Deondre Francois.

24 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Patterson allowed to transfer because of the Ole Miss situation with Freeze and his case they didn’t disclose to him the severity of that situation.  Ole Miss is objecting but seems like he’s going to be eligible.  

Eason is transferring to get a chance to play in a better situation for him since he lost the job.  You have to sit out a year in those cases.  

None of these guys stood out in their second last year like Darnold/Rosen.   Top-end wise I’m not ever going to be as high this year because prolonged success means a lot in projecting floor.   Grier and Thorson are the 2 I’ll track (latter esp since he could fall to bargain territory if he misses a fair amount of the 2018 recovering from his New Year’s ACL injury and January 2018 surgery).  

Stidham wasn't impressive to you last season? His games against Georgia(1st one) and Alabama were impressive.

7 minutes ago, Classic said:

Stidham wasn't impressive to you last season? His games against Georgia(1st one) and Alabama were impressive.

He played really well in those big games.   He’s efficient.  He will be a NFL starting QB.   But I don’t see a lot of gunslinger in him.   Kinda get the Alex Smith vibe (esp the athleticism).   I like Alex Smith but it also fails to excite me draft-wise.    

Edited by Broncofan

32 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I really like Thorson.  Good size, arm, and build.  Doesn't have the best stats, but he might be surrounded by a worse team than Josh Allen had at Wyoming.

Unlike Allen, I'd imagine he will fall out of the top half of Rd1, given the limited film (plus fact that his athleticism won't be at 100 percent until 18 months after the surgery, which means he shouldn't stand out at the Combine either, which as we saw with Allen, did wonders for his stock - doubt we see the same here).   I'd like to see better read progression and anticipation, though.   Those are the skills that best predict NFL success, and Darnold/Rosen had those in spades (why I really liked them the most).   He does show the ability to throw in tight windows and throw people open, which is the physical skill needed for NFL level success (along with accuracy), and the hardest to fix if it's not there.   IF he only plays half a season on a bad NW team, well, that could even push him out of Rd1, which would interest me even more, given the lowered price and thus lowered price. 

But much like the others, the possible top-end guys have warts similar to, or even worse than guys like Rosen/Darnold, at this stage of their career.  And without the same ceiling demonstrated by this time.  So while the depth might not be so bad, top-of-the-draft talent that belongs typically has both a high ceiling and reasonably safe floor (realizing there's always risk if it's not a Luck-type prospect).      If we thought 2018's top end had warts, man, don't see 2019's top ed as the same, only worse in that regard (and without the extended success/same ceiling).

Edited by Broncofan

The guy I watched the most was Jared Stidham. I love his skill set, but I wouldn't love taking him in the 1st round. He's got size, height, athleticism, and a great arm. But he's coming from an extremely quirky system and has questionable accuracy even on the easy throws. He's not quite as talented or as wild mechanically as Josh Allen, but he's the same type of toolsy QB prospect. Allen is more physically talented and played in a pro style, which helped him go pretty darn high. Stidham is more of a projection.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

He played really well in those big games.   He’s efficient.  He will be a NFL starting QB.   But I don’t see a lot of gunslinger in him.   Kinda get the Alex Smith vibe (esp the athleticism).   I like Alex Smith but it also fails to excite me draft-wise.    

I dunno. He has quick enough feet to buy second chances and run for 1sts. Reads decent and stays cool under pressure for the most part. Biggest thing he has going for him is his arm though. Not talking about velocity, he has a very quick release. The kind you covet because it's nearly impossible for a defender to get the jump on it. Only way would be for him to stare down receivers or give his passes away some how. Coaches will love his skill set for a modified version of the spread. 

Edited by Calvert28