2019 NFL Draft - Quarterbacks

AlNFL19

4 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

NY Giants
New Orleans Saints
Denver Broncos
Pittsburgh Steelers

Giants, Saints, and Steelers could all be looking for a QB to take over in a season after they draft the QB, but all should start thinking about looking. Same could possibly be said for the Patriots.

As much as I'm not a believer in Keenum, DEN signed him to 2 years probably with 2019's QB class being so meh as a factor.   If DEN was unwilling to take a Rosen or Allen, I don't think they'll reach for a QB unless the value is there.  Which given the lack of top-end talent, I don't see happening.  1-2 guys will create buzz, and their value to obtain will be through the roof.   If DEN ends up with a top 5 pick, I could see it, but then the insane trench talent becomes really tempting to Elway.   

Like @BroncosFan2010 mentioned in GFW's draft thread and our Broncos forum, I think we'd have been much better served to get Rosen 1.5.  And I like Chubb a lot (certainly more than Allen).   Oh well.

5 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as I'm not a believer in Keenum, DEN signed him to 2 years probably with 2019's QB class being so meh as a factor.   If DEN was unwilling to take a Rosen or Allen, I don't think they'll reach for a QB unless the value is there.  Which given the lack of top-end talent, I don't see happening. 

Yeah, I can definitely see why it wouldn't happen. However, they will likely be a team linked to a top guy or two and depending on how QB's perform, they might consider someone. It also might depend a bit on how Keenum does. If my math is correct, they could save themselves 11 mil next year by cutting him if he sucks it up.

23 hours ago, Forge said:

It's not as good as the 2018 class in my opinion. 

As for Lock, after seeing the pushback that Josh Allen got for his accuracy issues this year, he should have plenty of hate going into next years draft if he throws up another 55% completion rate. If he doesn't, then the draft community as a whole is massively hypocritical. 

I'd say it's even worse with Drew Lock.  He's putting up those Allen-esque Comp% figures in a much "easier" offense, making less difficult throws to better talent.  If he doesn't take a significant step forward in that regard, i don't know how you can look at that with anything but significant concern.  In a lot of ways, i think Drew Lock is kind of the guy the Allen-haters made him out to be.  Unless he does take take some big steps forward as a QB this year, it'll be interesting to see if the amateur draft community hate ends up as strong.

As a whole, it looks more like the 2017 QB class to me.  Maybe even weaker, unless we get some big steps from somebody.  Though like Trubisky in 2017...we've seen how the right "tools" and one good year can shoot a guy up as a QB these days.  Teams are compelled to gamble on it...especially in a year where it doesn't look like there's going to be anything close to a "sure thing" bluechip QB at the top.

And there are guys who could take a big step forward this year and put themselves in the conversation...it's just a question of whether they actually will take that big step.  You can find upside sprinkled through this class, but it's hinged heavily on guys being a lot better than they have been.  Which is far from a slam dunk.  I think Clayton Thorson looks the most intriguing of the bunch to me early, but still not a real bluechipper.  Especially coming off that injury.  Not sure what we're going to get with him...or really a lot of this QB class in general.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

Yeah, I can definitely see why it wouldn't happen. However, they will likely be a team linked to a top guy or two and depending on how QB's perform, they might consider someone. It also might depend a bit on how Keenum does. If my math is correct, they could save themselves 11 mil next year by cutting him if he sucks it up.

They can only save 8M with a cut next year.  10M is guaranteed (3M bonus & 7M of the 15M salary).  A trade saves 15M though.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Only a single mention of Stanley in this entire thread, and that was in the middle of a list of other players. His stats were fairly mediocre (low Y/A, 55% completion), but he shows a ton of good traits -- the ability to throw with timing, touch, and anticipation, experience under center, a fairly quick release, nice ball placement, knows where to find his checkdowns, etc. I think he'll have a big year and declare early.

1 hour ago, SmittyBacall said:

Easton Stick?

Winner and tough kid but slight build and sub-par arm talent. Much closer to Brock Jensen than he is to Carson Wentz, and it's certainly arguably he isn't even as good of a prospect as Jensen.

I am much more intrigued to see how Taryn Christion of South Dakota State and Sean McGuire from Western Illinois do out of that conference this year. People talk about Stick because of NDSU, but he was tied for second to last in the conference in pass attempts. Christion and McGuire both flash more intriguing talent in my book. 

On 5/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, Chrissooner49er said:

Kyler Murray of Oklahoma...yes, I am kidding! :P  I think the Austin kid behind Kyler is more accurate.

I do think some of these guys could develop into decent back-ups but I see no franchise talent at all for 2019.

Are the actually going to start Kyler Murray at QB? Can he throw the ball or is he just a runner?

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Are the actually going to start Kyler Murray at QB? Can he throw the ball or is he just a runner?

That does seem to be the plan. They say he can throw well, so I will take their word for it. There will be some bumps in the road this season for Oklahoma, for sure. I really got used to having Mayfield. Not often a college QB starts for 3 years.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2018 at 5:33 PM, BleedTheClock said:

I have a feeling it's going to be someone not on this list. A dark-horse candidate that comes from nowhere.  I don't really like any of these QB's right now. I think any of the top 5 QB's from this past year's draft class would have gone #1 in this upcoming one. 

Clayton Thorson

An update since some people mentioned Kyler Murray; don't anticipate him playing football this year.

• A month ago he was rated the 37th overall prospect for the MLB Draft on MLB.com and is also 38th in ESPN's rankings
  • He has had a great season for OU baseball, showing huge improvement from a year ago. Garnered first team All-Big 12 honors and despite being a rangy center fielder who weighs under 200 lbs., he has cracked 10 homers this year and also provides a boost on the base paths. He is an exciting prospect in baseball and is a toolsy kid in that regard
  • He reportedly has a "price" for leaving school, but the kid has played so well this year that I imagine a team will take a chance in the 2nd round on him and meet whatever he is asking for. It's interesting to note that he maybe would have never gone to college in the first place if an injury during football season as a senior relegated him to DH only duties in baseball in the spring and hindered his draft stock, that both his dad and uncle played pro baseball, and that he played in the Cape Cod League (the top collegiate summer league) last year after his season with the Sooners baseball team ended instead of either resting for football or diving into football-specific training before camp.

Just seems like it all adds up to him being a pro baseball player soon. Murray actually got hurt yesterday as Oklahoma beat top-seeded Texas in the Big 12 tournament but the injury is supposedly minor. If Murray is able to come back and have a strong showing in the NCAA Tournament, he might even crack the late 1st round. All-in-all, don't bet on him playing for Lincoln Riley this year.

7 hours ago, Da_Ducktator said:

An update since some people mentioned Kyler Murray; don't anticipate him playing football this year.

• A month ago he was rated the 37th overall prospect for the MLB Draft on MLB.com and is also 38th in ESPN's rankings
  • He has had a great season for OU baseball, showing huge improvement from a year ago. Garnered first team All-Big 12 honors and despite being a rangy center fielder who weighs under 200 lbs., he has cracked 10 homers this year and also provides a boost on the base paths. He is an exciting prospect in baseball and is a toolsy kid in that regard
  • He reportedly has a "price" for leaving school, but the kid has played so well this year that I imagine a team will take a chance in the 2nd round on him and meet whatever he is asking for. It's interesting to note that he maybe would have never gone to college in the first place if an injury during football season as a senior relegated him to DH only duties in baseball in the spring and hindered his draft stock, that both his dad and uncle played pro baseball, and that he played in the Cape Cod League (the top collegiate summer league) last year after his season with the Sooners baseball team ended instead of either resting for football or diving into football-specific training before camp.

Just seems like it all adds up to him being a pro baseball player soon. Murray actually got hurt yesterday as Oklahoma beat top-seeded Texas in the Big 12 tournament but the injury is supposedly minor. If Murray is able to come back and have a strong showing in the NCAA Tournament, he might even crack the late 1st round. All-in-all, don't bet on him playing for Lincoln Riley this year.

Really, well I do not follow college baseball so I have no clue how good he is.  Surprised someone actually pays attention to college baseball.  Anyway Russell Wilson what played for the Colorado Rockies minor league system for two years.  I know at NC State many thought he would instantly pick baseball because of his size as a QB and many thought he had a better future as a baseball player.  Obviously things turned out differently, Murray however can not throw like Russell Wilson could in college so if he does pick baseball over football it is because he really does not have much of a future in football especially at QB.  I honestly view Murray as a position change prospect to possibly a WR or RB.  He has yet to show NFL arm potential but was interested to see how he did this up coming year.  He has great quickness and ability to make players miss in the open field, fine athlete but as a thrower he is nothing great at all.

I would be surprised if he did not play football this season, especially after waiting so long for his chance.  If he did not want to play football then why transfer to Oklahoma like he did and wait behind Mayfield.  Why not just finish out your college career in baseball and go play pro baseball and start that process.

Mike Vick was what the 30th pick in the 2000 MLB draft and he did not play baseball since the 8th grade.  So clearly the baseball draft is not like the football draft in terms of rankings and who gets drafted where.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Murray.

42 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Really, well I do not follow college baseball so I have no clue how good he is.  Surprised someone actually pays attention to college baseball.  Anyway Russell Wilson what played for the Colorado Rockies minor league system for two years.  I know at NC State many thought he would instantly pick baseball because of his size as a QB and many thought he had a better future as a baseball player.  Obviously things turned out differently, Murray however can not throw like Russell Wilson could in college so if he does pick baseball over football it is because he really does not have much of a future in football especially at QB.  I honestly view Murray as a position change prospect to possibly a WR or RB.  He has yet to show NFL arm potential but was interested to see how he did this up coming year.  He has great quickness and ability to make players miss in the open field, fine athlete but as a thrower he is nothing great at all.

I would be surprised if he did not play football this season, especially after waiting so long for his chance.  If he did not want to play football then why transfer to Oklahoma like he did and wait behind Mayfield.  Why not just finish out your college career in baseball and go play pro baseball and start that process.

Mike Vick was what the 30th pick in the 2000 MLB draft and he did not play baseball since the 8th grade.  So clearly the baseball draft is not like the football draft in terms of rankings and who gets drafted where.  Will be interesting to see what happens with Murray.

Vick was a 30th round pick lol

Murray blows Wilson out of the water as a baseball prospect.

Edited by JammerHammer21
  • Like 1