Just some thoughts...

AFF

1) I agree that the Steelers didn’t do enough in this draft to improve the team FOR THIS UPCOMING SEASON 

2) This draft(especially day 2) basically filled a lot of 2019 needs...QB of the future...Long term OT prospect(Gilbert 30 and 2 high $$$ years left...Villy already 30 too)...Bryant replaced by Washington 1 year earlier than expected.

3) They really thought that S play was terrible....addition by subtraction in Mitchell Golden Gay and improved tackling and communication with Burnett.

4) They’re counting on improved efficiency by the offense..especially in the red zone.

5) They might try to add another ILB after teams start making cuts...can cut Bey-Sensabaugh-Landry Jones and get another $4 mill in cap room.

6) 2019 draft needs....Top needs ILB-OLB-RB...2nd Tier needs...DL depth....maybe TE...maybe CB depending on all the young guys.

7)Get off the ledge...the sky isn’t falling...settle down Francis.

Fire away.

I agree with what  you've said, but on the 2nd tier needs for next season, I wanna add OG.  I want to point out that Ramon Foster is currently the oldest member of our Offensive line. I feel like that's an area that they're going to have to address at some point.  I do agree that the 3rd round OT pick (which I'm still not a fan of) is a hopeful future RT to replace the 30 year old Marcus Gilbert.  I definitely feel TE is on the list, possibly even in front of DL, because I don't think McDonald will be retained beyond the 2018 season (could certainly be wrong).  DE depth in my mind in regards to DL needs to be on the radar almost as much as NT next season imo but I absolutely agree that our top 3 needs are ILB, OLB, and RB and at this point, I'm not sure which order to put those 3 in.

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'd also suggest that the 2018 season will tell us how big of a need CB may or may not be.

2018 season is make or break for 2 starters on D in burns and dupree. This is their chance and if they don't become what they were supposed to be, then I expect the 2019 draft and UFA to address CB and edge. 

They should keep Gilbert as long as he doesn't get suspended, as he is playing pro bowl calibre. If he was 35 years old and had knee injuries, I could understand possibly considering  moving on, but for now he stays with the team. Do you forget what it was like when the OL was bad? Lets not go back in that direction.  I would rather have a D that has weakness than an OL that gets the QB on IR or near IR. 

14 hours ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

1) I agree that the Steelers didn’t do enough in this draft to improve the team FOR THIS UPCOMING SEASON 

But did the FO do enough ( Burrnett and Bosic)?  I would argue that the Steeler ( and most teams) do not count on Rookies doing much of all.  We want to see that leap now in their 2nd year.  Watt and Sutton need to step up.  JuJu needs to show even more.  If a team is looking for immediate help from the draft they are either without talent or delusional.

2) This draft(especially day 2) basically filled a lot of 2019 needs...QB of the future...Long term OT prospect(Gilbert 30 and 2 high $$$ years left...Villy already 30 too)...Bryant replaced by Washington 1 year earlier than expected.

Agreed but that is what drafts are for.

3) They really thought that S play was terrible....addition by subtraction in Mitchell Golden Gay and improved tackling and communication with Burnett.

Agreed.  Safety was terrible last season.

4) They’re counting on improved efficiency by the offense..especially in the red zone.

Addition by subtraction (Haley).  We shall see.

5) They might try to add another ILB after teams start making cuts...can cut Bey-Sensabaugh-Landry Jones and get another $4 mill in cap room.

I do not think they have the cap room.  either more cuts or another big extension is needed.

6) 2019 draft needs....Top needs ILB-OLB-RB...2nd Tier needs...DL depth....maybe TE...maybe CB depending on all the young guys.

I think higher CB might be on the list if Burns does not show improvement under Bradley.   Another WR and OG possibly.

Yes.

Fire away.

Both the Steelers top 2 picks played a ton of snaps last year...this year they will again but unless injuries occur, to not the same extent as last year...most team DO need high picks to contribute year 1 thanks to salary cap.

Why you think WR may be a need again next year?

Im assuming they’ll give Finney a decent contract to become new LG next year.

Was there anyone on the bench better than Watt last year?  Chick?  Moats?  That is why Watt played. 

JuJu was a revelation.  It is hard for rookie Wr to break out.   For Washington, they will give him all the snaps he can handle.  WR is a steep learning curve from College to the NFL.  Especially with Washington  as he is coming from a fairly simple offense ( compared to JuJu who came from a pro style).  The #4 and #5 Wr are up in the air right now.  Do you have any confidence in Trey Griffin, Quadree Henderson, DHB, Justin Hunter, Tevin Jones, or Justin Thomas?  Those are the WR on the roster not names Brown, Smith-Schuster or Washington.

I think Edmunds will play some snaps but I will be surprised if he replaces Davis at the start of the season.  Crazier things have happened.  But they have Bennett and Davis.  Golden and Wilcox had 339 snaps combined.  The Steelers do not play 3 safeties often.

Sutton got snaps at the end of the year.  113 to be exact.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Was there anyone on the bench better than Watt last year?  Chick?  Moats?  That is why Watt played. 

JuJu was a revelation.  It is hard for rookie Wr to break out.   For Washington, they will give him all the snaps he can handle.  WR is a steep learning curve from College to the NFL.  Especially with Washington  as he is coming from a fairly simple offense ( compared to JuJu who came from a pro style).  The #4 and #5 Wr are up in the air right now.  Do you have any confidence in Trey Griffin, Quadree Henderson, DHB, Justin Hunter, Tevin Jones, or Justin Thomas?  Those are the WR on the roster not names Brown, Smith-Schuster or Washington.

I think Edmunds will play some snaps but I will be surprised if he replaces Davis at the start of the season.  Crazier things have happened.  But they have Bennett and Davis.  Golden and Wilcox had 339 snaps combined.  The Steelers do not play 3 safeties often.

Sutton got snaps at the end of the year.  113 to be exact.

Yes...WASHIngton will get plenty of snaps...especially with no one else on roster as of now worth of them. 

Next tear Im assuming it’ll be a vet type...kinda like Terrance Mathis...can’t afford another high WR choice with all other WRs at least having 2 years on deals.

Thought I saw star Steelers had 6 DBs on field like 1/4 of defensive snaps last year...doubt he beats out Davis to start year...think he’s starting over him by end of year though.

On 5/6/2018 at 4:51 PM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Agreed.  Not addressing ILB and OLB is inexcusable.

Hey if Chuks ends up being our next swing and possibly RT and if Rudolph is our next franchise QB in 3 years, I guess I won't complain.  BIG IFs.

I really like the commitment to upgrading the safety position and the dime package, in general.

Adding Washington and Samuels should make the offense better.  Like Buddy Ryan said of Chris Carter "All he does is catch touchdowns."

I doubt it.  Only if they think Matthew Thomas is a bust do I see them adding another.  I think they roll with VW, Bostic, Red, Fort and Thomas.

Yes, yes!

lighten-up-francis-22862786.png

Well played, sir. 

Fire away.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:51 PM, AlanFanecaFan said:

Let me try this again, I lost my entire post except the "Lighten up Francis!"  >:(

I was quite perplexed by the Steelers draft moves and the value that they placed on some players. I think they could have still drafted these players and added a pick or two by dropping down after failing to land the ILB of their choice. I thought we were in a win now mode, but at the same time, did not want to mortgage the future. I love Edmunds and had him in my final mock, but I sincerely believe that they could have moved down, added a pick and still got him and added an ILB or OLB like Fred Warner or Sam Hubbard.

As much as I disliked some of the picks, I do understand getting Mason Rudolph, especially if they had a first round grade on him.  Great value in round three, but what does that say about the Josh Dobbs pick the year before? Ben was threatening to retire and go year to year.  Message sent.  As far as the OT. maybe they see him replacing Hubbard, but I liked the development of Friend and Feiler last year. Just my two cents.

The new coach is a huge help and I think a lot of the problems were with communication.  There were several games that they gave up a long pass opening second half drive for a TD. Burnett will help Davis get into the right position and the new coach will help him understand what the defense is trying to do.  Edmonds and Allen will provide depth and help on special teams.  I think Edmonds play some three safety sets and will get some time as the LB in the nickel and dime.

A lot was execution and the rest was a combination of poor play calls by Big Ben or Coach Haley.  Many times the ball was inside of three yard line on first and goal and we were passing instead of pounding inside with Bell.  The debacle at the end of the Patriots game and Jaguar game fourth down calls probably sealed Coach Haley's fate.  He did some good things with developing Ben, but like some relationships, it went as far as it could go.

If the right name is out there, maybe they sign them.  There will be post June and training camp surprise cuts that may produce someone who can help. I think Dirty Red may steal some reps or time from Williams this season.  Cody is probably gone.  Landry is there at least another year and Mason or Dobbs probably get a season ending Hamstring injury. 

What happens with DHB could be interesting.  The cupboard is somewhat bare with AB, Ju Ju and rookie Washington.  That leaves Hunter as a deep threat, which I actually think he can handle and DHB as a ST, veteran leader and occasional long ball guy.  The question is can Washington take over the slot a la Ju Ju last year?  I think Q. Henderson may make it on his return ability alone. He could be a surprise slot as well as Marcus Tucker or Tevan Jones.  Most likely, they sign a late cut veteran.  

Too early for me to think about. I want some success in 2018!

Fire away.

018dda427983a2b3fa2cae974e4fff1b.jpg

Duh. 

B|

Are you assuming Ben retires after 2018?

Are you assuming Gilbert and/or AV wont be here next year?  (30 isnt THAT old for a tackle)

WR was a need....but did we really need to use a 2nd round pick on a 3rd WR?   I sure dont.

Dont really have a major issue with how they addressed safety.....even though Edmunds is extremely raw and IMO, not the type of safety this team needs.  

Wish in one hand, poo in the other....

They're counting on it.....not sure whats been done to facilitate it.

Highly unlikely to be any better than the Bostic signing.

RB...I still think they will try to resign Bell....likely wont happen.    

Sky isnt falling....but the window IS closing....and they were more focused on filling future needs than winning with Ben.

Ive never been more disgusted about a Steelers draft.     All they did was reach on players and draft lesser needs, while ignoring our most urgent needs.       I may not be an "expert", but I know you dont draft like that when you are in win-now mode....you draft to fill your more pressing needs and try to find players that can (hopefully) help you immediately.      Edmunds needs alot of work, Washington could very well be our 4th WR this year and the other 2 will only see the field if we have injuries.

Our feet are getting closer and closer to that ledge.....whether we want to be there or not.

43...very condensed answer...

IMO...After the signings of Bostic and Burnett...where was a 1st round pick actually going to start save for ILB...which they tried trading up for Evans?...not being a jerk, just honest question.

I think in their minds, if they can just improve the defense a tad, that making sure the offense is well stacked is easier than trying to rebuild the defense to its former glory.

Kinda like making sure the offense can maintain scoring 40+ every game...while making sure the defense only gives up 35 kinda deal if you catch my drift.

Gilbert has 2 very high $$$ years left and is 1 dirty piss test from a 16 game suspension I think...very good RT but it’s a possibility and plus they wanted to replace Hubbard.

The Washington pick kinda coincides with my above offense vs defense statement.

An ILB signing for depth.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:55 AM, FourThreeMafia said:

Duh. 

B| I'm with you there Dogg!

Snoop-Dogg_01-11-2017-599x449.jpg

Are you assuming Ben retires after 2018?

I know you weren't asking my opinion, but just wanted to weigh in. I haven't chatted with you in a while. No, but while I don't like the move, I understand it. They are protecting themselves in case Ben decides to pull another, "I may retire!"  As much as I disliked the third round picks alone, there was great value in taking him here. They got a player that they had a first round grade on in the third and someone they see as a potential franchise QB.  I understand their thinking drafting Rudolph.

Are you assuming Gilbert and/or AV wont be here next year?  (30 isn't THAT old for a tackle)

I completely agree with you here.  There are a lot of other players that I would have selected over the OT. 

th?id=OIP.6PPm1dvrdotGdNLuGz09KQHaD9&pid

WR was a need....but did we really need to use a 2nd round pick on a 3rd WR?   I sure don't.

I honestly believe that they were after Christian Kirk here, but after he was drafted, they took the next WR on their board. Not sure that I would have taken him this high.  Again, I think they should have dropped down a time or two and they still could have drafted these guys and added a pick or two.  I liked the ILB from BYU here.  Again if they had dropped once, they have two #2's and if they drop twice they pick up another #3. I don't hate the picks, but I don't like how they played/handled the draft. 

Don't really have a major issue with how they addressed safety.....even though Edmunds is extremely raw and IMO, not the type of safety this team needs.  

I like Edmonds, but I didn't like the draft value. I think with his size he can do some things similar to Burnett and offer some Shazier like qualities in the Nickel and Dime as a ILB.  His speed and quickness will help pursuing and he can tackle, unlike what many think.  High character and intelligent kid that will pair very well with Davis for years to come.

Wish in one hand, poo in the other....

th?id=OIP.bo_YslvQW0luWbQQB97LBgHaEN&pid

They're counting on it.....not sure whats been done to facilitate it.

Highly unlikely to be any better than the Bostic signing.

I was extremely high on Bostic coming out of school and think he was a great fit for our defense. I see him as a bigger version of Larry Foote.  I think our defense needs some disipline in the middle and while he won't make the wow play that Shazier did, he will almost always be in the right position, make the correct read and tackle downhill.  We could use a lot more of that.  We like the Ferrari type of players, but sometimes you just need a good car, SUV or pick-up to do the job.

RB...I still think they will try to resign Bell....likely wont happen.    

I am on the fence. I am holding hope for the eleventh hour signing. Deep down, I believe Bell really wants to be here.

Sky isn't falling....but the window IS closing....and they were more focused on filling future needs than winning with Ben.

Great point! My fear as well.

Ive never been more disgusted about a Steelers draft.     All they did was reach on players and draft lesser needs, while ignoring our most urgent needs.      

Agreed!

I may not be an "expert", but I know you don't draft like that when you are in win-now mode....you draft to fill your more pressing needs and try to find players that can (hopefully) help you immediately.     

Not sure that picking 28th that you can do that. We were unfortunate that our ILB's were gone. No doubt there is a drop-off after the top three, but I tink they could have gotton a good role player for this year and future starter in Fred Ward. There was no rookie who would replace Bryant in this draft (IMO).  I din't like the Ju Ju pick last year, but wow am I glad they did. He is an incredible young man and a much better pro than I thought he would be. Maybe the same holds true of Washington.

Edmunds needs alot of work, Washington could very well be our 4th WR this year and the other 2 will only see the field if we have injuries.

Edmonds can play as a role while he learns and at least offers depth and something we didn't have.  I think Washington ends up #3.  DHB and Hunter will try to fill the Bryant role. I think Washington ends up with more catches than both, but DHB and Hunter could both average over 20 ypc. Big if's there though.

Our feet are getting closer and closer to that ledge.....whether we want to be there or not.

Agreed. we lost an excellent opportunity last year and other teams are getting better NOW! We better wake up!  I am most impressed with the new coaches on staff in Dunbar and Bradley.  I wish they could have added a solid teacher and technician like DeShea Townsand with the CB's as well.  I hope we are wrong 43mafia because we have had the talent and skill to have won another SB or two. Hopefully everything comes together and we have some players who pleasantly surprise us.

Archived