Just some thoughts...

AFF

Much criticism here about the draft and add me to that list as of now since I don't see where there are improvements NOW being made with that draft unless players shock us. 

The reality is setting in though, and that is this hyped offence needs to finally carry the burden and take the team to the next level. Ben and co have underachieved for years and it's time for them to deliver . Sometimes one side has to win it for the team, in 08 our D won it, even in 05. Now it's the Offense's turn:

HOF QB

top 5 OL

"best" RB

future HOF WR, best WR

JuJU is a rising star

no more excuses, I have had enough of all that. Bens body language in the playoff loss was telling. If he does that again, then forget it.

I think the defense will be much improved from where it was in the playoffs last year. Butler will have an entire offseason to adjust the defense post Shazier. I think we'll see a similar defense built on speed. @3riversis correct, the offense will have to carry us. They did last year too. The defense is built on speed and turnovers and that usually requires playing with the lead. I do think our base defense will improve against the run. I think the addition of Dunbar will help with that. I expect Hargrave will improve against the run and Bostic is a solid addition. The communication and tackling will improve with Burnett and Bostic. I think Vince might be poised for a big year too.    

22 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I expect Hargrave will improve against the run

why would you say this? I expect more of the same from everyone. The new additions should help, which is where the improvement will be.  Don't expect much, especially with the schedule much different than last year. 

2 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

why would you say this? I expect more of the same from everyone. The new additions should help, which is where the improvement will be.  Don't expect much, especially with the schedule much different than last year. 

Why wouldn't you say that? It's not like he's been in the league for 15 years. He's entering his 3rd year. Young, talented players improve. Don't be jaded.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Why wouldn't you say that? It's not like he's been in the league for 15 years. He's entering his 3rd year. Young, talented players improve. Don't be jaded.

ok, don't be jaded, and think a player  will improve despite being in the scheme that doesn't suit them?  I hope they find a way to apply his skillset for the better. It's another reason I was hoping for front 4 with Heyward at LDE as this would allow Hargrave to be a DT and next to tuitt inside it could be quite different. 

2 hours ago, 3rivers said:

ok, don't be jaded, and think a player  will improve despite being in the scheme that doesn't suit them?  I hope they find a way to apply his skillset for the better. It's another reason I was hoping for front 4 with Heyward at LDE as this would allow Hargrave to be a DT and next to tuitt inside it could be quite different. 

We're aware. However, it makes no sense moving 1 player (Hargrave) into a better suited position (DT) and moving 3 or 4 players out of position. There is NO WAY Heyward would be better as a LDE in a 4-3 then a DE in a 3-4. He is one of the best there is as is. A healthy Watt is the only one better and he's rarely healthy these days. Tuitt is already near the top at the positon (imo) and has room to grow. I see nothing that tells me he would be a better DT then a 3-4 DE. While Watt could fair Ok with the switch I do not see him being definitively better (and I think worse). He's doesn't have a great bend nor spectacular explosion. If anything he'd be a better 4-3 OLB but that isn't part of the 4 man front. Ideally they'd add a 4-3 type DE that could be subbed into hybrid fronts (as @warfelg has suggested). Other then that, tell me how the switch improves the Defense and any players' overall effectiveness because I simply cannot see it.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

We're aware. However, it makes no sense moving 1 player (Hargrave) into a better suited position (DT) and moving 3 or 4 players out of position. There is NO WAY Heyward would be better as a LDE in a 4-3 then a DE in a 3-4. He is one of the best there is as is. A healthy Watt is the only one better and he's rarely healthy these days. Tuitt is already near the top at the positon (imo) and has room to grow. I see nothing that tells me he would be a better DT then a 3-4 DE. While Watt could fair Ok with the switch I do not see him being definitively better (and I think worse). He's doesn't have a great bend nor spectacular explosion. If anything he'd be a better 4-3 OLB but that isn't part of the 4 man front. Ideally they'd add a 4-3 type DE that could be subbed into hybrid fronts (as @warfelg has suggested). Other then that, tell me how the switch improves the Defense and any players' overall effectiveness because I simply cannot see it.

good point , but if it comes down to 4 players to line up and play both run and pass, I see my idea as a whole being more effective hence the interest in the idea. As of now dupree hasn't shown to be  effective vs the run and pass rushing and is a liability IMO.  Heyward should be better no problem in both phases IMO, but how Tuitt and Hargrave do inside would be interesting.  Right now Hargrave can't play the NT the way many here expect and Tuitt should play well in this arrangement . My idea won't happen, at least I don't expect it to anyways.  Moving players across the front might make it better overall, thats all I am saying.  Maybe Heyward won't have the stat season he did last year, but we also won't get run over as often that direction either and the pressure will be consistent. They might even have to chip  block or double team Heyward, we know that isn't happening ever with dupree.  Then there are 1 on 1 matchups everywhere else and could allow Hargrave to attack which he does well.  The change could have some potential but no guarantee at all to be better right away. 

This is only if Heyward is healthy, because if he gets hurt then who plays LDE anyways and if you say dupree then we are back to where this all started :o

Honestly, I think this was a solid off season. I certainly don’t see how we got any worst outside of missing Shazier.

we sign two guys that have good football I.Q and can communicate in the two positions where I felt there was a lack of. I strongly feel that’s why we lost to the jaguars in the playoffs. Their also better tacklers then Spence and Mitchell.  Hell, maybe the two rookies could be a better upgrade then Mitchell. What’s the worst that could happen? Blown assignment, miss tackles, bad angels.... sounds like Mitchell to me.  Yes, we can be adding a new wrinkle or two as some have mentioned on this forum, but, I see a young defense that lacks what these two bring to the table. Definitely something Spence and Mitchell lacked. Possibly Williams also. I’m on the optimistic side of it helping bud (in coverage), Davis, and Burns. Not holding my breath on the first two though. 

Toddler and Blake are gone. *insert dimebag Darrell headbang GIF*

the things I’m going to watch the most is bens play and body language. That first half or more of the season was really frustrating to watch. It was a mix of Eli and Cutler. I’m hoping it had more to do with toddles and bens relationship. 

Archived