Who is your "Surprise" cut and why?

vegas492

The biggest surprise cut for me would be Jake Ryan.

The NFL is trending heavily towards defences stopping the pass. Our base defence is now essentially 2-4-5, which is why you're seeing alot of Burnett/Jones looks at linebacker.

Ryan is now entering his 3rd season and he is yet to make an interception, force a fumble or make a sack. His game is based on stopping the run.

It appears that Joe Thomas has taken over as no.1 linebacker. Martinez had green dot duties in his rookie season and is expected to make a second season jump. Sprinkle in a bit of Burnett and Jones taking snaps away and Ryan's roster spot could be under threat. If Talley or Heiman shows any sign of talent then Ryan better watch out.

I'm pretty shocked at some of the people being brought up.

Burnett- Look at all the positions we're putting him in, and all the responsibilities he has.

Bulaga- Sure 12 would love getting rid of one of the top RTs in the league.

Clay- I've been underwhelmed with Clay as much as the next guy, but we don't have too much depth that I'm confident in. Fackrell and Elliott may take the next step, but it's too much of a risk.

I don't think it would happen but I wouldn't be too shocked if Cobb was cut. Lack of production in recent years, Lot of depth and upside at WR, big contract. I could see it. 

1 hour ago, Chili said:

The NFL is trending heavily towards defences stopping the pass. Our base defence is now essentially 2-4-5, which is why you're seeing alot of Burnett/Jones looks at linebacker.

Ryan is now entering his 3rd season and he is yet to make an interception, force a fumble or make a sack. His game is based on stopping the run.

It appears that Joe Thomas has taken over as no.1 linebacker. Martinez had green dot duties in his rookie season and is expected to make a second season jump. Sprinkle in a bit of Burnett and Jones taking snaps away and Ryan's roster spot could be under threat. If Talley or Heiman shows any sign of talent then Ryan better watch out.

You still need 2LBs though. I think your reason for cutting Ryan is the reason he wouldn't be cut. Josh Jones is far more Joe Thomas than he is Jake Ryan. They play two completely different games. You will always need a run stuffing LB, especially when you're running with lighter fronts which we do. 

22 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'd say that yes, Allison would be a surprise cut.  Just because he'll be on the suspended list and not count against the 53 initially.

I'd say that a drafted running back getting cut would be a surprise.  Albeit a small one.

Gunter?  I'd call that a surprise as well, given his playing time last year.

I don't think that cutting a drafted RB would be a surprise at all.  They did draft 3 of them, and this staff has gone with 2 RBs active quite a few times.  I think it is more likely that they cut 2 of the drafted RBs than all 3 draftees make the roster.

As for the folks picking Burnett, I cannot disagree more.  That would truly be a shocker, more so than Sitton.  Burnett has a huge role in the defense.  I do think that he is a very strong candidate for a FA that won't be brought back, the team really is loaded at S.  

I think one of the ILBs is an interesting thought.  The team so far has practiced a lot with Morgan Burnett and Josh Jones at the "ILB" spot.  So it seems that this group is taken off the field quite a bit, and even last season they only kept 3 on the roster.  A factor in favor of the ILB group is that all of them are on rookie contracts, so releasing them has little cap benefit (not that we need cap room).

11 hours ago, Chili said:

I would be pretty annoyed if we cut a starting caliber ILB who costs peanuts for some D2 UDFA. 

I think I said this but I don't think Aaron Jones makes this team. Not earth shattering though.

As of now we're probably keeping just 3 ILBs, I don't see us cutting Jake Ryan. He's a consistent player on a rookie deal, I don't see the point.

Burnett is not going anywhere either, they're putting him all over the field in different packages, it makes no sense to cut him now. If Brice/Evans/Jones take another step this year I could see us letting him go next year, even though I'd love to retain him for a 3rd contract on a reasonable deal.

Cobb is the only starter / high profile player I could fathom being cut, but it's still very far fetched imo. Just today he was being discussed on reddit and someone said that he was the only 40+ reception guy with no drops last year (numbers might be off, I'm citing from memory). He's overpaid but he's reliable and has a good rapport with Aaron - as much as we'd love to think we have 9-10 extraordinary WRs I'm sure we want to keep the top 3 intact, the rest have practically no experience in the NFL.

14 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Contributors on their rookie contracts would be extremely surprising cuts since they won't be cut. That just doesn't make sense on any level IMO. So I'm torn.

This.  There's no reason to ever cut a player on a rookie contract unless they're on the outside looking in when we're speaking in terms of numbers.

I think we could trade Cobb pretty easily. He's a poor man's Brandon Cooks, and the saints got a 1st rounder for him. I'd be shocked if we couldn't get anything for Cobb.

He's also the only real slot-type WR we have with Monty moving to RB. 

11 hours ago, PackMan22 said:

I think we could trade Cobb pretty easily. He's a poor man's Brandon Cooks, and the saints got a 1st rounder for him. I'd be shocked if we couldn't get anything for Cobb.

He's also the only real slot-type WR we have with Monty moving to RB. 

Jody is excellent in the slot.  I dare say he's better in there than Cobb is....

We haven't seen it yet, but I think that Adams would thrive in there with his short area quickness.

McCaffrey appears to have a good feel for the slot.

I get that Cobb fits the profile of a slot receiver.  Small and quick.  But, be honest with yourself.  Is he still quick?  He was never fast and that is getting more evident as he gets more miles on those tires.  If that quickness has left...well...there isn't much left to his game beyond the trust he has with Rodgers.

On 8/14/2017 at 8:51 AM, vegas492 said:

Jody is excellent in the slot.  I dare say he's better in there than Cobb is....

We haven't seen it yet, but I think that Adams would thrive in there with his short area quickness.

McCaffrey appears to have a good feel for the slot.

I get that Cobb fits the profile of a slot receiver.  Small and quick.  But, be honest with yourself.  Is he still quick?  He was never fast and that is getting more evident as he gets more miles on those tires.  If that quickness has left...well...there isn't much left to his game beyond the trust he has with Rodgers.

Definitely better last year there.

20 hours ago, jleisher said:

Total surprise cut, Clay Matthews Jr.  Why?  His production doesn't match his pay.  My 2nd pick, TE R. Rodgers, if Sandland comes back and plays well could push Rodgers out, trade or cut.

This is just my opinion. 

He is also 61 years old and his age is starting to show.

Archived