Worst places for visiting teams in the NFL

NeptunePenguins

Well since we are still in the off season I guess this kind of conversation can be held. People are always talking about the worst places to visit in the NFL, but which places are really the worst? Well I am unsure, but I will talk about a few.

Seattle: Known for being LOUD, and when they are good then their fans can be ready to dish out the noise. Stadium is outdoors too, however the climate isn't too horrible as it mostly stays above freezing, albeit having slightly above freezing rain can feel quite cold I guess. 

Kansas City: Another loud place, and this time the climate is a tad worse. It is more prone to cold than Seattle in the winter but the daytime temperatures still average above freezing in January, albeit only slightly, so some days will be below the mark and there could be snow.

Green Bay: Playing against Aaron Rodgers is a nightmare, no question about that. However, in December and January be prepared to play in the coldest temperatures the NFL has to offer for an outdoor stadium. Every single winter month has average highs below freezing. In fact January averages 24.3F/-4.3C as a high and a chilly 9.1F/-12.8C as a low during the month. Ouch, that is pretty cold, in fact a close comparison to this city is actually Montreal(Yes in Canada) which averages 22.3F/-5.4C as a high and 9.7F/-12.4C as a low during January as well, although Montreal has quite a bit more snow at about 89 inches a year compared to drier Green Bay at 51.4 inches a year. Playing in a city with their closest climate comparison being a Canadian city, while having to go against Rodgers? Yuck, not the best thing for players.

Buffalo: Not quite as cold as Green Bay, but it receives that nasty lake-effect snow, being one of the snowiest cities in the United States. It averages a massive 94.7 inches of snow a year! Hey, at least it is not as cold as Green Bay, and you don't have to face Rodgers. 

New England: Facing the all-time great Brady and Belichick makes this visit a treat. Furthermore, the climate is also on the cold side as well. Average winter temperatures are between Buffalo and Kansas City. The snowfall amount is about the same as Green Bay, even without the colder temperatures(prone to nor' easters).

Philly: Passionate fans that can make it tough for visiting teams. The climate is not horrible, as it is not exactly extremely cold nor is it extremely snowy. 

Seattle is garbage now. 

I am a life long Seahawks fan and been going to games since the Kingdome days, that stadium used to be loud. Now its full of people willing to pay triple face value for tickets so they can tag themselves at the game. Noise is not an issue at all anymore. Best part of missing the playoffs last year is the hope that ticket prices for games drop and fans that actually want to yell start showing up again. 

The myth is its loud when they are good, it was louder BEFORE they were good. 

52 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

As of late, I would say, without a doubt, Philly and Boston are the worst places to visit for opposing teams. 

Eagles have had a legit home field advantage the past two seasons. Whether that continues moving forward post SB remains to be seen?

I'm not suggesting they will get complacent in any way but with the Bulls Eyes firmly on their backs, things could change? There are worse atmosphere's out there in general for players and fans to deal with but the Linc does have it's advantages.

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Eagles have had a legit home field advantage the past two seasons. Whether that continues moving forward post SB remains to be seen?

I'm not suggesting they will get complacent in any way but with the Bulls Eyes firmly on their backs, things could change? There are worse atmosphere's out there in general for players and fans to deal with but the Linc does have it's advantages.

I hear ya. I'm only looking at from a players point of view and not from a fan standpoint though. Based on how Eagles fans were with the Vikings and the Patriot fans setting of alarms in hotels.......

As a fan, I have been almost every stadium in the league and I would say that the Bills games' were my personal best experience but I'm biased in that. Back in 2000 or so, a group of friends of mine used to make it a point to travel to each one of favorite teams' home games every year. Well we had trouble one year with booking because it was last minute and other hotel factors -- a complete disaster and misunderstanding. Anyways, we got settled. Again, this was last minute(coming from Tennessee), so we had no idea where anything was or where anything was at. During the game we were talking about what we were going to do after the game; where to go, how to get there, etc.....and few Bill's fans that we talked to a little here and there overheard us and offered to show us around to some places. Long story short, that turned out to be the best night that I can remember when traveling to any game. Not only that night, but the next 2 days. Those Bill's fans were awesome.       

Denver have the best home record since 1975. It's also the place I'd least like to play, if I were going for an AFC title, say....>:(

More recently though, obvserve the best home win % since 2003

1. New England 85.2%

2. Baltimore 73.4%

3. Seattle 73.3%

4. Pittsburgh 71.5%

5. Indie 70.2%

Finally found something the AFC can be proud of in 2018. 

2 minutes ago, DutchFalcon said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Mile high yet. It might be because I live in a pretty flat country but going from near sea level too a place that is that high would take some getting used too. 

Above :)

4 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

Surprised nobody has mentioned Mile high yet. It might be because I live in a pretty flat country but going from near sea level too a place that is that high would take some getting used too. 

It’s not threatening right now because of the team. Huge disadvantage if they are competive

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

It’s not threatening right now because of the team. Huge disadvantage if they are competive

I thought we were discussing it in a more general way, regardless of the competativeness of the teams in question. If Keenum keeps up his play from last year they will still be competative at home.

Archived