Random Observations about the Roster

KC_Guy

• Chiefs have only 5 players of 30+ years left on the roster: Colquitt, Henne, Zombo, Devey, and Jenkins. Talk about getting younger.
  • Chiefs have 3 RB named Williams on the roster. Reminds me of the 4 Johnsons at LB back in 2014 (I think).
  • If your last name starts with "W" you may have a shot as a Chiefs RB: West, Ware, Williams, Williams, Williams

On a more serious note: Checked where UDFAs may have a chance to crack the roster:

• QB: Litton and McGloin may compete for the #3 job. McGloin has hardly any guaranteed Money on his contract.
  • OL: Seven slots taken, if they bring in an eighth everything is possible. McKenzie may need a year on the PS to complete his transition.
  • TE: Pretty thin there after the Telfer/Nicholas deal didn't get through. However, reports from Rookie Camp indicate they view Mack more as a WR.
  • CB: Any job behind Fuller, Nelson and Amerson should be up for grabs. Redmond may have the draft pedigree, but he's coming back from injury. I firmly believe they'll bring in another Veteran after June 2.

Outside guys I'll watch closely:

• QB Chase Litton. Groomed as #3 or even #2 QB in a Tyler Bray role? Read really good things about him as a long term prospect prior to the draft.
  • WR Gehrig Dieter. Had some good reviews in camp last year, obviously impressed at Rookie camp again.
  • S Jordan Sterns. Injured last year, but also received good reviews.

10 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Are any of the UDFA and carry over players likely to see regular time, this year or ever?

I doubt we will be able to put McKenzie on PS. Someone would claim him.

J

The last big hit the Chiefs had on an UDFA was Wilson. Some others they kept for a year or so, they made their money elsewhere (McDougald is one name I think to remember. A few of the "Magnificent Seven" Dorsey claimed on the first draft in). 

The thing about claiming someone off waivers during final cuts is you have to keep him on the ACTIVE roster for three weeks thereafter, then you can release him .. but he'll have to pass waivers again. So, there is a risk, but as all the other teams have stacked up on unproven prospects as well ... they'd have to cut an ACTIVE roster guy they didn't cut for their PRACTICE SQUAD guys to claim him. That's why "passing on to reserve squad" usually works.

1 minute ago, onejayhawk said:

The key point is usually because the players on PS are usually niche fillers and deep depth. That is not how they view McKenzie.

J

So what is McKenzie then not being drafted before the 6th round?

1 minute ago, KC_Guy said:

This I answered in the middle of the original post.

No, you didn't. Cracking the roster is one thing. Being in a unit rotation is another. 

Reading between the lines, you seem to think Dieter might be another Wilson and Sterns might be Sorenson, but you don't actually say it..

J

3 minutes ago, KC_Guy said:

So what is McKenzie then not being drafted before the 6th round?

A project. Round six is a clue. They had two round seven picks they might have used, but there was other interest. Given a full training camp we will know a lot more, but they are talking him up--a lot. 

J

Dieter may compete with Thomas, Chesson, and Robinson. I only see three guys set at WR in Watkins, Hill, and Conley.

DB has been an area of discussion all the time. I see O'Daniel challenging the Sorensen LB/S role, making room for another DB ... that's where Sterns comes into play. A guy I haven't seen play a snap, but receiving good reviews at camp for a second year.

Archived