Nacho Simulation Football League (Season 16 - Taco Bowl XVI POSTED!)

7 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I'm just glad the better QB was taken from South Africa.

Wish I had taken Mahomes 9th round like I almost did. I would’ve been locked and loaded with Mahomes or Goff as a starter.

I didn’t plan on trading Goff but this offer was hard to pass down. James Connor will give me a legit run game and I’m hoping I can find myself a QB somehow. 

8 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Wish I had taken Mahomes 9th round like I almost did. I would’ve been locked and loaded with Mahomes or Goff as a starter.

I didn’t plan on trading Goff but this offer was hard to pass down. James Connor will give me a legit run game and I’m hoping I can find myself a QB somehow. 

I know he just got injured. And I know he wasn’t having another 2017 season. And I know someone is going to view this as me still trying to drum up trade value.

But whoever gets Alex Smith is going to get good value. He is still going to be efficient and he can put up some really good numbers when paired with good weapons.

43 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

You don't trade young franchise QBs. iPwn's cost for Goff is split across 4 seasons, 2 years. It's nothing for him to pay to take his team from a playoff contender without a QB, to a legit championship contender. Those first round picks are nice, but they are almost guaranteed to be near the bottom of the first each of those seasons.

It's one thing if you already have a guy on your roster that you feel is the quarterback. It's another when you are trading away the most valuable asset in the league without a backup plan.

Also: James Conner had 144 total rushing yards his rookie season. No matter how impressive his sophomore campaign has been, he does not qualify as a 'legit run game' next year. Don't believe me, it's fine, you'll find out for yourself.

35 minutes ago, pwny said:

I know he just got injured. And I know he wasn’t having another 2017 season. And I know someone is going to view this as me still trying to drum up trade value.

But whoever gets Alex Smith is going to get good value. He is still going to be efficient and he can put up some really good numbers when paired with good weapons.

I don't disagree with that point. I would, however, say that for 4 tags, he isn't worth it, given his shortened season and the nerf that will come with it.

19 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I don't disagree with that point. I would, however, say that for 4 tags, he isn't worth it, given his shortened season and the nerf that will come with it.

I'm not sure I agree. He's going to miss 6 games, so his nerf is going to be something like 2/3 of one percent. His on pace in 2018 is basically the same as his 2016 season. So while his 2017 campaign will account for less of his grade than it did in S15 and 16, you're still going to get at least what I got in S14 from him, and probably more because I'm still certain his 2017 would have a larger impact than his missed 6 games.

Alex Smith [16 GS]: 309/504 (61.31%, 94.16 Rating) for 3,917 yards, 28 touchdowns, 12 interceptions. 56 carries for 181 yards (3.23 YPC, 11 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 5 fumbles.

And that's with an underperforming Hilton and nobody else really to catch passes.

It's no secret that I was trying to move into a higher tier of QB play. I contacted a lot of people about getting a star. But I would have still paid the 4 tags to make sure I got that type of production if I wasn't able to make the play to get a tier 2 type.

I mean where would you draft that type of QB play? It's gotta go in the top half of the first, right? At that point, you're dealing with draft picks that are worth the equivalent of 4 tags.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

Right before I took over Rhode Island I told Nacho to just pick Mahomes for me since he was on the team last year.  The highest pick from the previous draft was Kiko Alonso so that's who I got instead as the last autopick. When it came to my first pick I decided to go in a different direction but should have stuck to my gut and taken Mahomes.

54 minutes ago, pwny said:

I mean where would you draft that type of QB play? It's gotta go in the top half of the first, right? At that point, you're dealing with draft picks that are worth the equivalent of 4 tags.

I wouldn't necessarily agree that he'd go in the top half of the first.

Taking a look around the league, there can be anywhere from 3-6 teams looking to potentially draft a new QB. While you may want to take one early to ensure you get the one you want... I don't really see Smith being head and shoulders above the other ones that should be hitting the draft. And as we've seen in the previous few drafts, sure, 1-2 teams might reach very early, but otherwise the rest draft better players and get roughly equivalent production from starters selected much later.

If the baseline is "one team would certainly take him in the first", I suppose you have a point. But I think the majority of the owners would just chuckle or LIS and appreciate the fact that the QB position value is pushing actual talent further down the draft.

Sad that Thielen goes from the top WR in the league to this.

I know he is semi-injured, but 22 yards in the last game and a half hurts after going for 100+ in each of the first 8 games.

On the other hand, I think I have to waste 5 tags on QBs for the next two seasons.

Luck is having an excellent season and Lamar has shown too much to risk losing him. He can be a sim gawd if he becomes the starter next year and has a big season.

6 tags if I decide to wait on Jimmy also

5 minutes ago, Tk3 said:

Sad that Thielen goes from the a top WR in the league to this.

3 minutes ago, pwny said:

Wut

Wrong article.

But my point stands - the man had one of the best 8 game stretches of a WR in a long time. I mean.. the man was on pace for 150 receptions and 1800+ yards at the halfway point

edit: I forgot you can't swear here lol

Derek Carr [16 GS]: 353/582 (60.65%, 92.93 Rating) for 4,430 yards, 30 touchdowns, 12 interceptions. 30 carries for 65 yards (2.17 YPC, 14 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 5 fumbles.
Derek Carr [16 GS]: 371/599 (61.94%, 93.70 Rating) for 4,711 yards, 28 touchdowns, 12 interceptions. 25 carries for 65 yards (2.60 YPC, 18 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 3 fumbles.
Derek Carr [16 GS]: 371/591 (62.77%, 99.46 Rating) for 4,572 yards, 34 touchdowns, 9 interceptions. 25 carries for 66 yards (2.64 YPC, 11 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 3 fumbles.
Derek Carr [16 GS]: 366/587 (62.35%, 101.16 Rating) for 4,738 yards, 35 touchdowns, 9 interceptions. 33 carries for 18 yards (0.55 YPC, 8 LNG), 0 touchdowns, 2 fumbles

Current 2018 NFL Season: 247/350 (70.6%, 94.1 Rating) for 2,633 yards, 12 touchdowns, 8 interceptions

Derek Carr is officially on the trading block. Now I understand this season hasn't been the best for him, and hopefully he can add some more touchdowns between now and the end of the year, but he's hitting career highs in yards per game, yards per attempt (or is it completion?), his completion % is 7 points higher than his career best, and his interception rate is right in line with the rest of his career. The relatively low TD numbers and poor team performance from the Raiders (although don't get me wrong, Carr hasn't done them favors at times) have contributed to the current perception of him, but between this season and the prior 2, Carr is a pretty good starting quarterback option in the league.

Early on the gameplan was to potentially flip Mahomes if he showed promise, or potentially groom him for the next two seasons if he really showed huge promise, but between Mahomes playing at an MVP level, and Carr experiencing a bit of a slump, it's got me wondering what Mahomes would look like in the sim. I'm still debating whether I want to fully trust Mahomes after just 1 season or not, but I figure that if Alex Smith is getting thrown out there, might as well see what Carr could fetch.

1 hour ago, SirA1 said:

Right before I took over Rhode Island I told Nacho to just pick Mahomes for me since he was on the team last year.  The highest pick from the previous draft was Kiko Alonso so that's who I got instead as the last autopick. When it came to my first pick I decided to go in a different direction but should have stuck to my gut and taken Mahomes.

I am glad you decided to go a different direction.

Mahomes went from "investing to flip for the future" into "this dude might be the best player in the league".

Archived