burns and dupree still starting by seasons end?

3rivers

14 hours ago, 3rivers said:

What's a better draft pick, Woodley in RD2 or dupree inRD19_9 

Woodley round two all day long.

Agree about Deebo at ILB, he would have been good there as well. Some players are versatile and gifted and others are just athletic and never will be good at the next level. 

Agreed.

No need to remind us about cortez allen O.o what a flop that turned out to be. I thought it was going to be ok, but for some reason he got in trouble with Tomlin and that was it for him. 

I loved the Cortez pick at the time.  He got in trouble with the coach because he didn't perform to the level of expectation. He had the size and speed to be god in our system, but........

Dupree - I'm 50/50 there. When he's on top of his game; he's a gamechanger. When he's not, we might as well play with 10 on the defensive side.

Burns - Really?? He had a good rookie campaign and a very inconsistent 2nd year. He's not even close to being in any sort of jeopardy. Unless one of the 27 injured corners we got finally gets healthy and becomes a major surprise; I doubt Burns has anything to worry about.

2 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Dupree - I'm 50/50 there. When he's on top of his game; he's a gamechanger. When he's not, we might as well play with 10 on the defensive side.

Burns - Really?? He had a good rookie campaign and a very inconsistent 2nd year. He's not even close to being in any sort of jeopardy. Unless one of the 27 injured corners we got finally gets healthy and becomes a major surprise; I doubt Burns has anything to worry about.

really? I have NEVER seen this happen in a steelers game with him playing

5 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

Dupree - I'm 50/50 there. When he's on top of his game; he's a gamechanger.

I am a fan of Bud and I am rooting for him but, I don't see him being my definition of a "game-changer,"  yet.  Bud has made some big hits and done some good things, but he has not played as a "game-changer" like Troy Polamalu or Rod Woodson.  Those were defensive game-changers in my opinion.

When he's not, we might as well play with 10 on the defensive side.

I get what you are saying, but when you have a decent year and then regress the next, the pressure starts to hit you year three.  We certainly saw this in the past with Jarvis Jones and Daniel McCullers. Burns, Davis and Hargraves will all feel the pressure this season because they regressed last year. I am optimistic they will all bounce back and have solid years. 

Is it reasonable to suggest that players have neen trying to do more than their own respobsibilities and this could be a reason for some of the regression?

Specifically in the secondary where we know the safety play was terrible, i feel like Burns was getting himself into bad situations trying to cover the field for himself and the safety (mike mitchell). For dupree, even if he could have progressed last season, when you add in the loss of shazier and struggles against the run in the middle of our defense, could this have had anything to do with the regressions? As for Hargraves, i just dont think he is the guy. 

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Is it reasonable to suggest that players have neen trying to do more than their own respobsibilities and this could be a reason for some of the regression?

Specifically in the secondary where we know the safety play was terrible, i feel like Burns was getting himself into bad situations trying to cover the field for himself and the safety (mike mitchell). For dupree, even if he could have progressed last season, when you add in the loss of shazier and struggles against the run in the middle of our defense, could this have had anything to do with the regressions? As for Hargraves, i just dont think he is the guy. 

the problem I see with he bold was that I don't remember this being a problem before, so as a result I am seeing blame go burns way.  Hargraves is inconsistent and not suitable for any 2 gap scheme. He is more of an attacking DT and I think he would do well in that scheme but looks to be a wasted high RD pick of ours. 

13 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Is it reasonable to suggest that players have been trying to do more than their own responsibilities and this could be a reason for some of the regression?

You very well could be correct. Interesting take, but you also know what they say: Make sure you are doing your job first!  I saw some of that with Cam as well in a few videos posted by various people showing some glitches on defense in the running game.

Specifically in the secondary where we know the safety play was terrible, I feel like Burns was getting himself into bad situations trying to cover the field for himself and the safety (mike mitchell).

He often times was well out of position maybe this is why, but that goes back to coaching! Do your job and trust your teammates to do theirs. The sad thing in this is I would expect Mitchell to have been the one trying to help.

For Dupree, even if he could have progressed last season, when you add in the loss of shazier and struggles against the run in the middle of our defense, could this have had anything to do with the regressions?

I don't think Bud was trying to play OLB and ILB.  Bud was not consistent. Some of that was that they dropped him in coverage more and some was that he just didn't make plays when he was given the opportunity. He was a #1 draft choice.  The bar is set higher for Bud Dupree as it should be.

As for Hargraves, i just don't think he is the guy. 

I think Hargraves gets a raw deal by many fans.  We all know Hargraves is not a NG and he doesn't excel at tying up blockers. Yet we seem disappointed that he didn't excel in this area. He is a penetration type of DT and relies on quickness and not brute force.  Penetration is great on passing downs and even in most every run situation.  However, the problem is that he didn't seem to use that penetration ability well in the running game. Blockers seemed to get to his body and then he had problems getting rid of them.  Lastly,  many times he seemed to get pushed back by them. He was a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.  That is not his fault, but the coaches. This is where Frazier will help in my opinion. He is more of a brute/nasty type of NG.  Let Hargraves excel with what he is good at, being a DT and using his quickness to get after the QB inside. For whatever reason McCullers never excelled as a NG either. He certainly has the size and strength for it. I think we need to rotate our DL's more as well. I think the team attempted to do this last year, but we didn't have the right players for some of the roles. I think Tyson has an even bigger impact in 2018 as well.

Frazier could help  if he gets a chance to play. DMC rarely suited up last year, if only we could make an easy living like that too :o

I don't expect much 0 tech NT anymore. Maybe vs the titans , skins, and jags, teams more inclined to smash mouth , but the rest of the league I doubt. 

On 2018-05-16 at 3:00 PM, Steeler Hitman said:

I am a fan of Bud and I am rooting for him but, I don't see him being my definition of a "game-changer,"  yet.  Bud has made some big hits and done some good things, but he has not played as a "game-changer" like Troy Polamalu or Rod Woodson.  Those were defensive game-changers in my opinion.

ok, lets just make this clear. I agree on your definition of game changer, and for us Harrison has to have the most game changing plays  or right up there. Lets not forget to mention him and Lloyd too.  Dupree only has a few good hits, actually only the one I remember and it was a good one.  Really though, he has caused next to no TO's, another bad sign IMO. 

• 2 weeks later...

nfl.com said it right

Steelers fans and coaches have been waiting for Dupree to break out for years. I'm not sure whether to be more surprised that the Steelers picked up his fifth-year option for 2019 or that he has no real competition after a season where he finished ranked 106th out of 110 edge-rusher qualifiers in Pro Football Focus' grading.

Archived