Saints cut Coby Fleener

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Yeah.  Pretty much.  It wouldn't surprise me to see the Jaguars sign Fleener to a cheap "prove it" deal with zero dead money and let him compete for a spot out of camp.  They were pretty open about how missing on those 4th round TEs in the draft threw a bit of a wrench in their plans, and we're not exactly super deep at TE with Marcedes cut, ASJ promising but with limited track record of success...and all those mostly nobodies behind him.

Koyack and O'Shaughnessy weren't terrible depth last year though, for what the Jaguars offense actually does with their TEs.  And who knows if Fleener is going to want to take a bargain bin "camp battle" type deal to come in and try to win a job.  He's got money, and it's hard to say he's a guy who is going to be super stoked to spend 50%+ of his snaps blocking.

Fleener's only role is as a move TE - and when he's there, you know he won't block effectively..if at all.  Wasn't kidding when I said he was a 0 in the blocking game.   Putting him in gives away a pass play, or a run away from his side.   Those players are murder on a team's production except when it's catch-up time.   And as a move TE, he doesn't separate one-on-one, doesn't run great routes, and isn't a great ballfighter.  He's a reliable catcher.  And if you use zone, he'll find a spot (but so will most move TE's).  For a team like JAX, the minuses far outweigh what little difference-making ability he brings.  

If it's a vet-min deal...sure, why not.  But he's better going to a team that could use a move TE.  But realize he's a really limited one.    In a perfect world, he doesn't get on the field.   And all of that is before we bring up the concussion risk.  Yuck.

50 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Oh man...I’d prefer the Falcons but I could certainly live with him going to the Cowboys. 

That would speak volumes on how Rico Gathers is doing.   Missing an entire year and DAL not using their IR return option when he was eligible is a major concern there.   

57 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Oh man...I’d prefer the Falcons but I could certainly live with him going to the Cowboys. 

Plz no. I can't see the FO signing Fleener. Hooper might be due for a breakout year and Saubert at least deserves some time with his development.

The Texans need a TE - but after underperforming with a healthy Andrew Luck and Drew Brees, I simply think he's not an NFL caliber player. Rather roll the dice on the two rookies.

13 hours ago, the lone star said:

I'd take him on the Cowboys.

Imo, the Cowboys are better off with someone like Marcedes Lewis, who can at least block well.  If there is a team that should take a look at Coby Fleener..... that team is probably located in Canada. 

38 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Imo, the Cowboys are better off with someone like Marcedes Lewis, who can at least block well.  If there is a team that should take a look at Coby Fleener..... that team is probably located in Canada. 

He plays hockey? 

Archived