The Bears Offensive Depth Chart Discussion

WindyCity

QB: Trubisky, Daniel, Bray [IR]

The top 2 are obvious. I think the Bears will keep Bray through camp and to mop up pre-season 4 and then conveniently he will get injured in that 4th pre-season game before being placed on IR at his full salary and sticking around at Halas Hall to help out the down roster players on offense. Bray's knowledge of the system has enough value that paying him 795k is a steal at twice the price. The down roster RBs, WRs, and TEs will be working with a QB that knows the system all through camp and then after camp when he is put on IR they will continue to have him around, although not on the field. If an emergency comes up and you need a QB then you simply bring him off IR and he is the backup.

RB: Howard, Cohen, Cunningham, Nall

My guess is that they will keep 4 RBs considering Cunningham and Nall should be core special teamers. Howard, Cohen and Cunningham are locks in my world. Cunningham can run the ball and is the 2nd best receiver in the group, which makes him an ideal backup for Howard and Cohen. The final spot seems to be a battle between Mizzel and Nall. Not getting to see much of Mizzel makes this difficult, but strictly from a size/athletic position Nall seems better equipped to step in if Howard is injured in short yardage or between the tackle situations. Add in the increased special teams value for Nall at 6'2" 232lbs, and the fact that he can possibly play FB and I think he offers more bottom of the roster versatility.

WR: Robinson, Miller, Gabriel, Fowler, Wims, White

I think that with the total gong show that the WR position has been under Ryan Pace that the Bears need to keep 6 on the roster and ensure the maximum number of options and depth possible. The top 3 are obvious locks and arguably the best WR core we have seen 1-3 in a decade. After that there are some interesting decisions. White's money is guaranteed and he will be on the team until he goes on IR. That leaves 2 spots. Fowler is a bigger player, has flashed as a WR, and he is at least the equal to Bellamy on special teams. I think he makes it as the WR designated for special teams. I think Wims was a very nice value in the 7th round and offers a downfield threat that can win contested catches. I do not see them letting him go and exposing him to waivers. Based on the improved depth this should be the last season that we need to endure Josh Bellamy.

TE: Burton, Shaheen, Sims, Brown

This is a position where I have had the most debate about whether I see them carrying 3-4 players. There is a decent amount of young talent at this position and guys that can contribute so I think they find a way to keep Brown. I wish they had let Sims option pass and cut him, but alas he will be on the team. Brown to me has flashed enough as a receiving threat that can be split out that he should be kept. He can fill the Burton role if he is injured, a role that Shaheen and Sims are not really physically capable of filling. Sims provides depth at the inline position behind Shaheen.

LT: Leno, Sowell
LG: Daniels, Morgan
C: Whitehair, Kush
RG: Long
RT: Massie, Watford

Normally the Bears have carried 8 OLmen, I think this is a year where we could see them carry 9 to ensure that they do not run out of players and that they are covered for Long not coming back to full speed. Sowell got almost 1 million guaranteed, which tells me he is likely the swing OT. I do not think he is very good, but he has multiple starts in the league at LT and that experience is very valuable. Watford has starts at RT and RG and is a veteran that can be leaned on if younger players are not ready, so I think that he will make the team or at least have an inside track. Kush can play all over the interior line and looked good 2 years ago when he started. Morgan is a bit of a wildcard, we didn't see much last season, but he is a 5th round pick who we should see what Hiestand can do with. I think that Kush and Sowell will be the active backups on game day and that Watford/Kush would compete at RG if Kyle Long is not prepared to play. Watford was running with the 1s at mini camp, which tells me that Grasu is not in the plans.

25 Offensive Players

QB...Trubisky...Daniel...Bray

Trubisky is obviously the franchises future and I like the fact we have brought in an experienced backup who has been in this scheme but also around some top QBs over the years in Daniel...Bray will have a fight on his hands against Murray who brings more mobility but I think his year in Nagy's scheme when he was calling plays really helps.

RB...Howard...Cohen...Cunningham

We roll with what we had last year...Howard will continue to be our lead dog and I expect Nagy to build his scheme and play calling around him...Cohen will line up all over the formation as a joker...Cunningham is the perfect #3 back...does nothing great but everything well...excels on teams...highly doubt we carry a FB.

WR...Robinson...Gabriel...Miller...White...Fowler...Roland

Robinson will be our most targeted receiver if everyone stays healthy...I expect to see Gabriel much like Cohen line up at multiple positions...Miller will line up in the slot to give us a diverse group of starting receivers...the depth looks so much better at this point...White if healthy will be a direct backup to Robinson...Fowler has experience inside and out and is an excellent special teams addition...Shaq Roland is a leap of faith but I think his after the catch ability puts him over Wims...also expect him to contribute more on special teams.

TE...Burton...Shaheen...Sims...Brown

Burton is going to be key in our passing attack...he needs to do a lot of the same things Kelce did in KC when it comes to the "U" position...Shaheen will also be big in this scheme...he will be the inline TE but given teams are going to expect Burton to be targeted so often and use their best coverage LB or S on him Shaheen should get plenty of good matchups to show what he can do in the passing game...Sims is the direct backup as an inline for Burton...Brown backs up Burton and is key on special teams.

OT...Leno...Massie...Watford...Allen

Leno has been an excellent find for a 7th round pick and as much as I would love to upgrade him with an elite LT he has been really good for us...Massie could be upgraded but again I think this scheme which will call for highly athletic linemen will suit him better with the ball coming out quickly...Watford is experienced and versatile enough to cover both RT and G...Dejon Allen is another leap of faith...4 year starter at Hawaii...2 years at guard...2 years at LT...in his time at LT never allowed a sack...last season according to PFF graded out at 92.8% which is one of the highest in the country...excellent athlete as well...his size and length are well below what you are looking for but as a backup and potentially to shift inside he could be solid.

OG...Long...Daniels...Morgan

Long will line up at RG and we need to hope he can stay healthy for another season before moving on...Daniels will start out at LG but could change with Whitehair...Morgan I still really like the upside and believe he could be a starter at some point...if he could be a 2019 starter to replace Long out OL would be young, athletic and very talented.

C...Whitehair...Grasu

Whitehair will start out at center but as I said before could swap with Daniels which personally I would like to see...Grasu vs Kush is the hardest roster decision...I like Kush but I think the added athletic upside and the connection between Grasu and Helfrich will make the difference

13 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Grasu is terrible. He could be Helfrich’s son and they should cut him.

Kush looked very solid in 2016.

Kush did look solid in that scheme but I think Nagy is going full on zone...even more so that KC did.

5 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Barring injury, what do you all see the team needs for next year? OLB, OT, CB, DL, QB for me, with all but the top two bring lower priorities. 

I think we badly need a pass rusher...either a true OLB or looking at the class better yet a 5 tech...Rashan Gary would be out of this world in Fangio's scheme...OL would be next up for me...OT first and foremost...still love the idea of taking a true LT like David Edwards then pushing everyone one spot to the right...Leno at LG...Daniels at C...Whitehair at RG...that gives you and extremely young and athletic front...

After those two I think we are looking at CB for the long term behind Prince and some more pass rush help...

If everyone develops like they should and we stay healthy this team really are primed to be good.

6 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Barring injury, what do you all see the team needs for next year? OLB, OT, CB, DL, QB for me, with all but the top two bring lower priorities. 

I am assuming we re-sign Goldman and Amos as both are FAs next year. And assuming White doesn't sudenly play like we all hoped and stay healthy he is gone too. Sims can be cut for pennies, freeing up money too.

We will be free of Massie's deal and if Callahan is gone we have an immediate need at NB (which I consider a starter due to reps anyway).

EDGE - Lynch is a FA and that was already a need

Special teams - O'Donnell is a FA and Bellamy is a terrible WR but solid STer, so there will be a need there, but rookies and min contract FAs often do well in that role.

OL - Massie is a starting RT, unless Morgan really goes off then we need a starter there, Kush is a solid IOL but nearing 30, Watford is younger but a meh player. Losing Grasu may be addition by subtraction.

DBs - Amos shouldn't be let go, he at minimum needs to be franchised if the team isn't sure he is going to be a game changer. You don't want to go into an offseason with2 glaring holes from the previous season PLUS needing to replace 3-4 starters. Callahan did pretty well at nickel, but if he has any dropoff this year maybe he isn't worth investing in. Better to get a replacement for Amukamara groomed and let them start at NB while they get developed.

QB - I really ant a QB to develop behind Tru, in case of injury or as potential tradebait. I really liked McGough as that player this draft but maybe we can get Stidham, Fitzgerald, Browning or Bryant in the 4th or 5th next year. McSorley is in interesting person who might be a solid game-manager as well in time.

RB - We have Howard and Cohen, no need there but I would like to add one more power back to let Cohen be used like Sproles. Still we will have to see how he is used. Michael Burton sucked, so seeing him go is a plus.

So my list goes EDGE, RT, CB, EDGE #2, QB, OL, DL

I'm sure this will change a dozen times or so over the course of the season though. I'd love for us to have a few guys really take off. Bullard, RRH, Morgan, Wims, etc. Any one to jump up and take over a role.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived