Jump to content
49erurtaza

Panthers sign CJ Anderson

Recommended Posts

This is actually a great signing, especially this late in the process. I’m surprised Carolina didn’t invest in a thundering RB during the draft, put I guess their board fell away from that direction.

They’re lucky someone decently young, who fit their need, was available this late in the offseason. Rare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Good value signing.  

Sad news for those FFB CMac owners who thought CAR was committing to him. Although with CJ’s mileage and style that could still happen.    Could just be getting a talented backup but given how CMac was used last year that’s now iffy to count on. 

Given Fozzy & CAP were the backups to CMac can’t argue the decision IRL.   

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it makes sense but McAffrey should still get like 80% of the snaps and touches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Good value signing.  

Sad news for those FFB CMac owners who thought CAR was committing to him. Although with CJ’s mileage and style that could still happen.   

Given Fozzy & CAP were the backups to CMac can’t argue the decision IRL.   

McCaffrey will still see the bulk of the carries. Its just now he has a competent backup.

Norv Turner will get him involved in the gameplan every week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

McCaffrey will still see the bulk of the carries. Its just now he has a competent backup.

Norv Turner will get him involved in the gameplan every week.

If CAR had let Mike go completely, I'd be more reassured.   It is better than Norv Turner is there - even if he's somewhat of a dinosaur, well, he's still a big upgrade on Shula as OC (I think Turner's actually grooming his son to take over in next 2 years).  Shula stumbled onto a great idea for the O in 2015, but literally did nothing to adjust back the last 2 years after DEN showed how to beat it (pressure on the T's, man-up on the WR's) - and then inexplicably let J-Stew take more carries than CMac last year, even when it was clear he had no juice left.   CJ's threat is that he actually has a little juice left.   That would have been disaster with Shula at the helm.   But yeah, at least there's a different OC.  We'll see.

(I don't own CMac in FFB FWIW - just talking those said owners off the ledge right now lol)

EDIT:  Doh, realized Shula's holding the clipboard for Shurmur in NYG, following Gettleman.  So there's hope.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this might be a hot take, but Carolina has put together the best collection of offensive talent Cam Newton has had on offense in his career.  I don't know about Norv Turner in 2018, but they've got the surrounding skill position players at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Crickett said:

So this might be a hot take, but Carolina has put together the best collection of offensive talent Cam Newton has had on offense in his career.  I don't know about Norv Turner in 2018, but they've got the surrounding skill position players at least. 

Weapons, yes.   OL, unclear.   And we know how important the OL is to QB health nowadays.   Can't argue they've added speed, though.   Especially love what Moore adds to their YAC threat (along with CMac, if they know how to deploy him to maximize his output).

Is Moton ready to help?  That would make a big diff to that OL.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McCaffrey is still the bell cow. I always thought Anderson was an unspectacular RB that should be a backup, not a starter. This seems like a good spot for him, although I hope they don't try to split carries. I want to see McCaffrey get a ton of carries this year and see if he's the real deal or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

McCaffrey is still the bell cow. I always thought Anderson was an unspectacular RB that should be a backup, not a starter. This seems like a good spot for him, although I hope they don't try to split carries. I want to see McCaffrey get a ton of carries this year and see if he's the real deal or not.

Never underestimate the power of a coach/OC to use the wrong guy in the wrong situation.  Hopefully it's exactly as you described.   But Rivera is the guy who let Shula put the ghost of J-Stew out there for 200 touches last year.  200 touches, man.   I know Shula was the OC and is now gone, but Rivera let it happen.

It was basically the same as Riverboat Ron enabling hate crimes on all Panther fans last year.  Until we see CMac be the workhorse, it's hard to say for sure Rivera won't let those same mistakes happen again...especially since unlike J-Stew, Anderson has a little tread on his tires left.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anderson right now, is basically Johnathan Stewart 3-4 years ago. I could see why they signed him here...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×