Saints Watch- Additional First Round Pick (0-1)

pacman5252

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23443719/mark-ingram-new-orleans-saints-suspended-four-games

Mark Ingram suspended 4 games for PED use. This isn't huge, but it should have an impact. It wouldn't surprise me if Kamara loses effectiveness with more touches and has a soph slump. They do have a pretty light schedule to open the year (Cle, TB, @ ATL, @NYG). 

I'll always have a soft spot for the Saints for ruining Brent Farve's last chance at a ring with the Queens, but for selfish reasons they must stink this year so GB gets a great draft pick. Hoping for something in the teens and anything better than that would be a bonus

20 minutes ago, ugLymayNe said:

I like how people are acting like a 4 game suspension really helps the Packers extra pick last year.

it. is. only. four. *******. games.

If they lose one game because they don't have their short yardage back that can sway draft pick order immensely. For instance if the Packers don't come back to beat the Browns last year they could've moved up 5 draft spots. That is a huge difference. 

Also, with how stacked the NFC appears that one game is huge in the playoff race. Every game matters. 

Just now, ugLymayNe said:

I like how people are acting like a 4 game suspension really helps the Packers extra pick last year.

It's.  Not.  Only.  Four.  ********.  games. 

Ingram 2017 first four games - Averaged 42 yards rushing.
Ingram 2017 final 12 games - averaged 79.5 yards rushing a game,
Ingram 2016 first four games - Averaged 55 yards rushing per game. 
Ingram 2016 final 12 games - averaged 68.5 yards rushing per game.
2015-2013 he was injured frequently.
Ingram 2012 first four games - averaged 22.5 yards rushing per game.
Ingram 2012 final 12 games - averaged 39.5 yards rushing per game.

Ingram takes time to get going.  I'd be willing to bet that's true for other running backs in an NFL season.  It's certainly true for Kamara.  If Ingram misses the easiest four game stretch on the Saint's schedule, it means he is going to be rusty against the Redskins, Ravens, Vikings and Rams.  Yep, his first four games will be against the Redskins, Ravens, Vikings and Rams.  Then they've got the Bengals, Eagles, Falcons, Cowboys, Buccaneers, Panthers, Steelers and Panthers. 

Yes, it's four games.  It's also four games against their easiest four game stretch on the season.  Then you also have to add in the change of pace and how it effects a team.  Don't have to look any further than our own team for a good example.  Aaron Jones had a 4 game stretch of 49 yards, 125 yards, 41 yards and 131 yards.  We had a bye week, other running backs got healthy (Williams)...

You also have to account for the fact that the Saints had one of the best draft class performances in recent memory.  This year, they had the 15th overall pick, and the 91st overall pick.  Last year they had the 11th overall pick, the 32nd overall pick, the 42nd overall pick, the 67th overall pick, the 76th overall pick, the 103rd overall pick.

So if you're keeping track, they hit on every single pick last year.  Here's a comparison:

2017 - 2 first round picks, 1 second round pick, 3 third round picks.
2018 - 1 first round pick, 1 3rd round pick. 

Brees had a single 300 yard game in their final 8 games of last season.  Everybody thinks he got them back to the playoffs.  That's not true.  Drew Brees is getting old.  He knows it, the Saints know it.  Brees just had his lowest passing yardage total since 2005 (he was a Charger).  He just had his lowest TD total since 2003 (his third year as a pro, in which he played in only 11 games).  It is the first time as a Saint in which he threw for under 26 touchdown passes.  He is not capable of being the Drew Brees from three or even two years ago anymore, and the team knows it.  He's not just a SERIOUS injury away from being ineffective, he's getting banged up away from being less effective. 

Then you also have to factor in the fact that 6 of Drew's 12 seasons there, the Saints won less than 9 games. 

I don't know what makes everyone so convinced it's more likely the Saints do well. 

1 hour ago, ugLymayNe said:

That isn't the right attitude!  The Saints are going 3-13 this season and will have a top 3 pick.  This is just the first of many dominoes to fall.  

2 hours ago, ugLymayNe said:

I absolutely agree with this bro. That 4 game suspension in no way shape or form helps the Packs extra pick last year,  out of curiosity though do you think it could help our pick NEXT year? Asking for a friend.

23 hours ago, pacman5252 said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/23443719/mark-ingram-new-orleans-saints-suspended-four-games

Mark Ingram suspended 4 games for PED use. This isn't huge, but it should have an impact. It wouldn't surprise me if Kamara loses effectiveness with more touches and has a soph slump. They do have a pretty light schedule to open the year (Cle, TB, @ ATL, @NYG). 

I think they lose two of those games. 

19 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I think they lose two of those games.  (Cle, TB, @ ATL, @NYG).

I think they can survive a bump in the road w/o Ingram but an interesting aspect is that its early season - so I highly doubt Brees can come out chucking it 50 times to compensate - given (what I presume....) would be a quiet preseason.

Sophomore slump by Latimore and Kamara. A Peyton Manningesque drop off by Breese and we are in the top 5. 

What struck me as funny, is the Saints grabbed Davenport with the pick. I really like Davenport and would not have minded the Packers taking him. However, he is by all accounts, on the raw side. He isn't the guy who puts you over the top - this year. Not the player you give up a first next year, which should be much deeper at DE and Edge.

18 minutes ago, VegasDan said:

Sophomore slump by Latimore and Kamara. A Peyton Manningesque drop off by Breese and we are in the top 5. 

What struck me as funny, is the Saints grabbed Davenport with the pick. I really like Davenport and would not have minded the Packers taking him. However, he is by all accounts, on the raw side. He isn't the guy who puts you over the top - this year. Not the player you give up a first next year, which should be much deeper at DE and Edge.

I don't even think they need a sophomore slump by Lattimore/Kamara.  If Drew Brees is injured for the year, the Saints are screwed.  Tom Savage is their backup and Taysom Hill, so unless they pull magic out of their arse than they're going to be bad.

Archived