Saints Watch- Additional First Round Pick (0-1)

pacman5252

26 minutes ago, hsfolk said:

if the season ended today the Saints pick would be #30

Oh well. Wasnt an off year for them. We got Jaire as a result of the trade.
#30 still has value - over some later pick - and if we're sharp with our talent evaluations - or use it to move into a different (better) slot - all the better.

It always (IMO) comes down to recognizing talent properly and going and getting what we need. Areas I think we were slipping at.
Plus - it looks like Gute is applying a different template to those talent evals than TT was - and I think I'm liking Gutes more.

28 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Maybe we can trade that Saints pick to a team wanting to jump back into the late first

Plenty of merit to that suggestion, because the first round picks carry the 5th year option and so for some teams, that's very appealing.
Ravens/Ozzie did it with Lamar Jackson because they knew it was gonna take time to develop him and grabbing him at 32 is better than at 33

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

Maybe we can trade that Saints pick to a team wanting to jump back into the late first for someone and get a better first round pick in 2020?

2020?  Why not 2019? 

I honestly think that is a strategy that should be used more often.  I would keep trading first round picks for future first round picks.  Even with teams like the Saints/Patriots/Chiefs. 

I feel like it's a good investment because if you keep doing it, sooner or later you're going to end up with a top 5 pick due to one of those teams falling completely apart. 

21 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

2020?  Why not 2019? 

I honestly think that is a strategy that should be used more often.  I would keep trading first round picks for future first round picks.  Even with teams like the Saints/Patriots/Chiefs. 

I feel like it's a good investment because if you keep doing it, sooner or later you're going to end up with a top 5 pick due to one of those teams falling completely apart. 

There is usually a GM on the hotseat willing to trade a future pick next year for a lower one this year. Why not take advantage of that. I like the old New England idea of buying and selling this and next years draft picks to get into the position you want to draft.  It's biggest downside is that you lose out in year one of the strategy, when you are losing pick(s) with nothing gained. After that, you are well positioned. If you are following the boom/bust 2 year draft cycle as well (get all the FAs you need in year one, then very few FAs in next year to accumulate comp picks for your losses) you can use the 'boom' year to minimise the impact of lost picks.

Was it Bobby Beathard that liked to trade next years first rounder for a second this year. His argument was that by next year his guy would be better than a rookie first rounder. A stupid argument in my mind, but then I thought Beathard was laughably bad (though I admit I only knew him from his latter years).

49 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Because it takes two to tango.  Teams aren't giving up future 1sts like they used to.

15 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

There is usually a GM on the hotseat willing to trade a future pick next year for a lower one this year. Why not take advantage of that. I like the old New England idea of buying and selling this and next years draft picks to get into the position you want to draft.  It's biggest downside is that you lose out in year one of the strategy, when you are losing pick(s) with nothing gained. After that, you are well positioned. If you are following the boom/bust 2 year draft cycle as well (get all the FAs you need in year one, then very few FAs in next year to accumulate comp picks for your losses) you can use the 'boom' year to minimise the impact of lost picks.

Was it Bobby Beathard that liked to trade next years first rounder for a second this year. His argument was that by next year his guy would be better than a rookie first rounder. A stupid argument in my mind, but then I thought Beathard was laughably bad (though I admit I only knew him from his latter years).

It really doesn't happen when it doesn't involve QBs.  The last time a team traded a future 1st round pick for a non-QB was back in 2014 when the Bills traded their '15 1st to move up to select Sammy Watkins.  Going back even further, you've got Julio Jones back in 2011.  I believe the last time that time a team traded their 1st round pick for a future 1st, you'd have to go back to 2007 when the Patriots dealt their 1st round pick (28th overall) for a 2007 4th round pick and a 2008 1st round pick.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It really doesn't happen when it doesn't involve QBs.  The last time a team traded a future 1st round pick for a non-QB was back in 2014 when the Bills traded their '15 1st to move up to select Sammy Watkins.  Going back even further, you've got Julio Jones back in 2011.  I believe the last time that time a team traded their 1st round pick for a future 1st, you'd have to go back to 2007 when the Patriots dealt their 1st round pick (28th overall) for a 2007 4th round pick and a 2008 1st round pick.

actually the last time a team traded a future 1st round pick for a non-QB was when NO traded y'all the pick so they could get Marcus Davenport 

20 hours ago, hsfolk said:

actually the last time a team traded a future 1st round pick for a non-QB was when NO traded y'all the pick so they could get Marcus Davenport 

I was talking about prior to last year...even if you want to include that it was 4 years when teams traded a future 1st round pick for a non-QB.  The last time a team traded out of the first round all together was over a decade ago.  There are very few teams that are willing to give up future 1sts for a non-QB, and there's even fewer who have the job security that they'd punt a first round pick into the future.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I was talking about prior to last year...even if you want to include that it was 4 years when teams traded a future 1st round pick for a non-QB.  The last time a team traded out of the first round all together was over a decade ago.  There are very few teams that are willing to give up future 1sts for a non-QB, and there's even fewer who have the job security that they'd punt a first round pick into the future.

GB traded out of the first to take Kevin King.

Archived