Predict the Final 53-man Roster

sp6488

58 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

No Brown actually means that you're only at 23 on offense (rather than 24, which you have listed):

3 + 3 + 5 + 4 + 8 = 23

Good find.

This makes it even more difficult. Now I have to decide between adding:

• Tim White
  • Greg Senat
  • Bradley Bozeman
  • Deshone Elliot

?

Elliot’s the best player. But since we have space for a return man, that might be the ideal spot. On the other hand, could Greg Senat be our best option as a backup LT, not sure if I just Brown or Hurst to play that role. Senat would mean no OL musical chairs. Plus he might not make it to our practice squad.

QB: Joe Flacco / Lamar Jackson

RB: Alex Collins / Javorius Allen / Kenneth Dixon

FB: Patrick Ricard

WR: Michael Crabtree / John Brown / Willie Snead / Chris Moore / Jaleel Scott / Jordan Lasley / Tim White

TE: Nick Boyle / Hayden Hurst / Mark Andrews

OT: Ronnie Stanley / James Hurst / Orlando Brown

OG: Marshal Yanda / Alex Lewis / Jermaine Eluemunor

C: Matt Skura / Bradley Bozeman

DL: Brandon Williams / Michael Pierce / Willie Henry / Brent Urban / Chris Wormley / Bronson Kaufusi

OLB: Terrell Suggs / Matt Judon / Za'Darius Smith / Tyus Bowser / Tim Williams

ILB: C.J. Mosley / Patrick Onwuasor / Kamalei Correa / Kenny Young

CB: Jimmy Smith / Brandon Carr / Marlon Humphrey / Tavon Young / Maurice Canady / Anthony Averett

S: Eric Weddle / Tony Jefferson / Chuck Clark / Deshon Elliot / Kai Nacua

K: Justin Tucker

P: Sam Koch

LS: Morgan Cox

IR or PUP: Nico Siragusa / Maxx Williams / Carl Davis / Jaylen Hill

PS: Josh Woodrum / De'Lance Turner / Janarion Grant / Nick Keizer / Greg Senat / Alex Thompson / Zach Seiler / Myles Humphrey / Alvin Jones / Darious Williams

Notable Cuts: Robert Griffin III / Breshad Perriman / Vince Mayle / Albert McClellan / Anthony Levine

I think our 3rd running back isn't on the roster right now.

DeMarco Murray would be an upgrade as a 3rd down back over Buck Allen. He'd be a significant upgrade as a blocker and no I don't think Buck Allen has more upside than 30 year old Murray. I don't know of many young RBs with upside that would be available. Perhaps Ameer Abdullah will be with the Lions adding Blount and a high draft pick to go with Riddick. He's been a major disappointment from the player he was in college, though.

9 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I think our 3rd running back isn't on the roster right now.

DeMarco Murray would be an upgrade as a 3rd down back over Buck Allen. He'd be a significant upgrade as a blocker and no I don't think Buck Allen has more upside than 30 year old Murray. I don't know of many young RBs with upside that would be available. Perhaps Ameer Abdullah will be with the Lions adding Blount and a high draft pick to go with Riddick. He's been a major disappointment from the player he was in college, though.

Your disgust for Allen is impressive. You would think he's the Hayden Hurst of running backs or something.

I don’t openly disagree with the idea that one of our running backs can be replaced though. To be honest, none of them is anything special. They are all JAGs until proven otherwise.

Not saying Murray would be the solution, but none of our running backs should feel particularly safe. If Collins goes into the preseason and plays horribly while Dixon and Allen thrive, he’s no longer the starter.

Our running back situation is cool, but it reminds me of that year when we had both Matt Stover and Steven Hauschka at kicker. We weren’t confident enough in Stover to kick anything past 45 yards, but he was automatic inside that... that sounds like Buck Allen. Then with Steven Hauschka he could drill the deep kick, but you didn’t feel confident enough in him as a kicker to actually let go of Matt Stover because you’re afraid Hauschka might drop the ball... that sounds like Alex Collins. Then you have Kenneth Dixon, someone that was suspended TWICE for violating the substance abuse policy. How does one rely on that guy to be their starter when another suspension could mean you’re without your starter for a season?

Ultimately, I’d rather have Buck Allen then all the other guys, at least he’s reliable. He’s not going to turn the ball over, he can catch some passes, he’s going to get the yards you block for, and he’s not a threat to be suspended at this point.

On 5/12/2018 at 8:31 PM, coordinator0 said:

Your disgust for Allen is impressive. You would think he's the Hayden Hurst of running backs or something.

I don't know why I am on an island here. Not that I have a problem with holding a minority opinion, but I'm a little surprised that others saw anything to like with Buck Allen. Even more surprised that people would group him as similarly or even more valuable than Alex Collins and Dixon. We're going to replace Alex Collins instead of Buck if he doesn't look good in preseason? Really? Did we watch the same 2017 season?

Buck Allen is reliable for being bad, inefficient offense. Check the game logs, he was heavily involved (carries and targets) in the first half of the season when our offense was at the very bottom of the league in terms of efficiency and his usage was sharply cut back when we recovered. It wasn't the only or biggest factor (Flacco's health) but it was definitely a part of it. He can catch the ball. But I'd prefer to do almost anything else on offense than chase those 4.17 yards per target.

Give me guys who are unreliably or even potentially good over a guy that's reliably bad any day.

3 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

I don't know why I am on an island here. Not that I have a problem with holding a minority opinion, but I'm a little surprised that others saw anything to like with Buck Allen. Even more surprised that people would group him as similarly or even more valuable than Alex Collins and Dixon. We're going to replace Alex Collins instead of Buck if he doesn't look good in preseason? Really? Did we watch the same 2017 season?

Buck Allen is reliable for being bad, inefficient offense. Check the game logs, he was heavily involved (carries and targets) in the first half of the season when our offense was at the very bottom of the league in terms of efficiency and his usage was sharply cut back when we recovered. It wasn't the only or biggest factor (Flacco's health) but it was definitely a part of it. He can catch the ball. But I'd prefer to do almost anything else on offense than chase those 4.17 yards per target.

Give me guys who are unreliably or even potentially good over a guy that's reliably bad any day.

Buck Allen’s 3.9 ypc average was just as high as Melvin Gordon and Leonard Fournette. Granted they had much higher volume, but to act like 3.9 ypc is terrible and “reliably bad” while ignoring that it’s higher than the 3.6 ypc from an older Murray on similar volume seems disingenuous to Allen’s talents.

Further, it’s a matter of preference. Allen for sure isn’t someone special, but he gets the yards the line blocks for him. What’s more he’s had 393 career touches and fumbled 2x. He fumbles 1/197 touches. Which means we could easily make it through an entire post season of HEAVY usage, without him having a significant game changing fumble to ruin our chances in a tight game. He has reliable hands and will get you 6.6 yards per catch, not good, but something for a QB to rely on when he needs his back as an outlet.

Collins on the other hand has had 277 total touches in his NFL career and has fumbled 6x. He fumbles 1/46 touches. Which tells me if we ever rely on him enough in a big game or playoff game, he has great potential for a game swinging negative play. There is no way, statistically speaking, that we make it through an extended post season with normal usage without him fumbling. He’s fumbled as recently as week 14 in a one point loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers and week 16 in a one score victory over the Colts. 

So Collins is not someone you want to rely on to be your “franchise back.” Factor in the fact that his catch% is 14 points lower than Allen’s as well and he’s equally not going to be my choice as the “third down” back either.

Thus if we find someone that can be similarly dynamic as Collins, but more statistically reliable than he’s the weak link between Collins and Allen.

Murray can pass block I don't think he's a good runner at this stage either; that's why I suggested he might be an upgrade as a 3rd down back. Allen's talents you listed are not doing bad things. He doesn't fumble and he catches his short passes. But, you are sinking offensive plays by using him. His talents don't involve productive plays.

I'd much rather give Collins those touches even with the propensity to fumble. The Ravens agreed, and I think we all saw the improvement with the shift. Even as a receiver, with that catch % difference, Collins is getting about a full yard more per target (career or just last season).

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Murray can pass block I don't think he's a good runner at this stage either; that's why I suggested he might be an upgrade as a 3rd down back. Allen's talents you listed are not doing bad things. He doesn't fumble and he catches his short passes. But, you are sinking offensive plays by using him. His talents don't involve productive plays.

I'd much rather give Collins those touches even with the propensity to fumble. The Ravens agreed, and I think we all saw the improvement with the shift. Even as a receiver, with that catch % difference, Collins is getting about a full yard more per target (career or just last season).

You are confusing the difference between me stating a proficient talent making Collins more expendable vs me saying I don’t want Collins starting.

You are also seem to be concluding that I like Buck Allen. Like I said in the beginning, I’m not impressed with any of our RBs... which is why I was probably the earliest voices banging the table for a RB from this special class of talents. I mean, if our RBs were a part of a superhero group they would individually be known as:

Buck Allen = Average Man

Alex Collins = The Walking Fumble

Kenneth Dixon = The Human Suspension

None of that is appealing to me. Collins has big play potential, sure. But he also has big loss potential. That’s enticing only as long as their are no superior options available. Given someone that does his explosive play job more reliably than Collins, I’m saying I would PREFER to keep the reliably average option to him. Because I don’t have to worry about the guy losing the game for me. He won’t win it, but that’s what other guys will be present for.

For my part, I hope someone outperforms our three backs, but I doubt it will happen at this point. We’ll likely have to wait to draft a back high in 2019 to get a reliably dynamic option.

Points of Interest

- Carl Davis

- Bronson Kaufusi

- Maxx Williams

- Tim White vs Breshad Perriman / for the expected 7th receiver spot

Possible 4th carried HB, De'Lance Turner vs Gus Edwards vs Mark Thompson

- Zach Sieler

- Kamalei Correa

- Chuck Clark vs Anthony Levine

-3rd QB?

I view the above as the biggest questions surrounding the roster. Some hard cuts are coming this year, and those players will be scooped up by another team in a second.

If everybody stay healthy, there are certainly going to be some difficult decisions - especially whether we go with veterans to win now or the younger guys.

On the dline, I could see both Michael Pierce and Carl Davis on the trading block. With how Kaufusi imploded last year when he had every chance to go and solidify himself on the defense, I actually don't count on him to be a strong 53 roster candidate.

Safety seems interesting, as Jefferson, Weddle, Levine, Clark and Elliot are all locks.

7 minutes ago, Danand said:

On the dline, I could see both Michael Pierce and Carl Davis on the trading block. With how Kaufusi imploded last year when he had every chance to go and solidify himself on the defense, I actually don't count on him to be a strong 53 roster candidate.

A tough decision might have to be made on Pierce and Williams. If Pierce continues to grow as a player and becomes more disruptive against the pass, we could justify him but we'll see. You can't pay two high end run stuffers, but you also can't trade away great players for nickels.

11 minutes ago, Danand said:

Safety seems interesting, as Jefferson, Weddle, Levine, Clark and Elliot are all locks.

Levine-Clark-Elliot-Jefferson are a lot of the same though, it worries me. It would suck to see Levine or Clark get nabbed by another team, and I can't believe that they'd risk Elliot. Drafting Young and Elliot might have jeopardized a great player in Levine. He is 31 though, I don't think many fans know that.

Offense

QB: Flacco / Griffin / Jackson

RB: Collins / Dixon / Allen

WR: Crabtree / Scott

WR: Brown / Lasley

SL: Snead / White vs. Moore

TE: Hurst / Andrews / Boyle vs. Williams

LT: Stanley / Lewis

LG: Hurst / Siragusa

C: Skura / Bozeman

RG: Yanda / Eluemunor

RT: Brown

Defense

DT: Williams / Davis / Wormley

NT: Pierce / Ricard

DE: Urban / Henry

RUSH: Suggs / Smith / Williams

WILL: Young /  Onwuasor vs. McClellan

MIKE: Mosley / Correa vs. Bradley

SAM: Bowser / Judon

RCB: Smith / Averett

FS: Weddle / Elliot

SS: Jefferson / Clark

NCB: Young / Canady

LCB: Carr / Humphrey

Special Teams

K: Tucker

P: Koch

LS: Cox

PUP: Hill

PS: Senat / Sieler

The bolded is who I think wins the position battle but they're close and I could see it go either way.

On 5/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, diamondbull424 said:

Offense (25)

• QB: Flacco, Griffin, Jackson (3)
  • RB: Dixon, Collins, Allen (3)
  • FB: Ricard (1)
  • XWR: Crabtree, Lasley (2)
  • ZWR: Moore, Perriman (2)
  • YWR: Snead, White (2)
  • TE: Hurst, Williams, Andrews, Mayle (4)
  • LT: Stanley (1)
  • LG: Hurst, Siragusa (2)
  • C: Lewis, Skura (2)
  • RG: Yanda, Eluemenor (2)
  • RT: Brown (1)

Quick Notes:

* Changed my mind, with Flacco healthy this season and my assumption of Brown going down with injury, Perriman becomes our best deep threat WR option. Moore gets the start due to more trustworthy hands and route tree.

* Why Dixon? He’s overall the most talented back we have. Collins is the starter at the moment, but I’m predicting an injury in training camp has him (Collins) out of a few preseason games, where Dixon shines big. When Collins returns for the regular season, the coaches stick with Dixon because he’s more game ready. Collins doesn’t have enough foothold on the job to sustain an injury and still return as the starter. The coaches will go with however has the hot hand.

Defense (25)

• DT: Williams, Wormley (2)
  • NT: Pierce, Davis (2)
  • DE: Henry, Urban (2)
  • Rush: Suggs, Bowser, Smith (3)
  • SLB: Judon, Williams (2)
  • WLB: Onwuasor, Levine (2)
  • MLB: Mosley, Young (2)
  • RCB: J. Smith, Canady (2)
  • LCB: Humphrey, Carr (2)
  • NCB: Young, Averett (2)
  • FS: Weddle, Elliot (2)
  • SS: Jefferson, Clark (2)

Quick notes:

* Levine is a coach’s favorite and very versatile player. Cutting him would ruin our versatility in the event that key defenders go down. We also would lose the leader of our special teams unit.

* Onwuasor will likely get another chance, mostly because his competition is a rookie LB trying to digest a complex defensive system (for a coach that is cautious with starting rookies), a 2nd round bust LB, a LB coming off a torn ACL that is missing OTAs.

Special Teams (3)

• K: Tucker
  • P: Koch
  • LS: Cox

Injured Reserve

• Nick Boyle
  • John Brown, WR
  • *Jaleel Scott, WR*
  • *Zach Sieler, DL*

“redshirt IR” designations- 

* Sieler takes a year to develop his body for the NFL and replaces Urban the following season as a big 5-tech pass rushing threat.

* Jaleel Scott spends the offseason developing his route running so that he can compete for a WR position in 2019. The position is too deep and WR is one of the biggest positions to adjust to. He has minimal college experience at the position (starting off on defense) and could use the extra year to catch up.

Practice Squad (11)

• Bam Bradley, ILB
  • Greg Senat, OL
  • Bradley Bozeman, C
  • Ricky Ortiz, FB
  • Darious Williams, CB
  • Alvin Jones, ILB
  • De'Lance Turner, RB
  • Jaylen Hill, CB
  • Janarion Grant, WR/RS
  • Christian LaCouture, DL
  • Chris Ezelea, FB (Germany)

Notable Cuts/Trades

Kamalei Correa- Other players will likely prove to be better and more versatile. To this point we’ve heard a lot of excuses out of Correa’s camp as to why he isn’t excelling. The Ravens have cut high profile picks on the defense before, it’ll be easier for them to do and not regret.

Updated and completed. Biggest changes, Perriman makes the team. Scott gets the fake IR. Bam Bradley goes to practice squad. If a defensive injury occurs, I expect him to have the greatest chance of being moved to the active roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived