First preseason game (vs. Redskins)

sp6488

Notes:

Ryan Mallet is irredeemably awful

Brent Urban is disruptive

Harbs is biased towards Reynolds and he did have the best return, but Tim White got most of the early opportunities as a returner FWIW

Good luck to anyone trying to run up the middle against Williams and Pierce

Levine at ILB a lot early, he's a good blitzer so I like it on passing downs. Correa wasn't on the field a ton which is weird given how used we are to the 2 ILB locked in

Bowser strong in coverage 

Campanaro getting open and didn't get hurt yet

I don't really like the vet backs, even though West had a good run... losing Dixon was the biggest hit we've taken this offseason, and that says a lot because I really like Tavon Young

Jaylen Hill showing up, also got beat once or twice, but a good game for him

Tim Williams couldn't make a big play, and set a poor edge a couple times... not slowing the hype yet though

I am looking forward to seeing the game this weekend. Just from the highlights I noticed Urban, Levine, #43, White and Reynolds, which from the comments in this thread makes me think Hill wears number 43?

If Correa doesn't stand our as the second inside linebacker, and we don't have enough trust in Onwuasor, then maybe Pees will play more nickel defense?

9 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Notes:

Harbs is biased towards Reynolds and he did have the best return, but Tim White got most of the early opportunities as a returner FWIW

White getting all of the first half opportunities (IIRC) contradicts your first claim a bit, no?

7 hours ago, Danand said:

I am looking forward to seeing the game this weekend. Just from the highlights I noticed Urban, Levine, #43, White and Reynolds, which from the comments in this thread makes me think Hill wears number 43?

If Correa doesn't stand our as the second inside linebacker, and we don't have enough trust in Onwuasor, then maybe Pees will play more nickel defense?

Yep, good inference :)

not a ton of tape on onwuasor or correa, but both looked good. Hard to really come up with too many negative defensive performances on this one. 

For what it's worth Pees has used less LB-heavy looks in preseason before. Yet when the regular season comes it's straight back to his vanilla base/nickel packages. Maybe that's his way of fooling opposing teams early in the year... :D :(

Anyways, I'm not reading anything into that at all. We've already been burned too many times.

Archived