WCF: Warriors vs Rockets Thread- The Real NBA Finals

Texansfan713

Maybe it's just me feeling this way and the numbers wouldn't back it up, but I feel like the 2016-present Warriors have way more garbage games than other super teams historically. Guess it's just a product of the league today and the reliance on the 3 ball, but it feels like every time they do lose they lose by 10-15+ lol. 

7 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

Maybe it's just me feeling this way and the numbers wouldn't back it up, but I feel like the 2016-present Warriors have way more garbage games than other super teams historically. Guess it's just a product of the league today and the reliance on the 3 ball, but it feels like every time they do lose they lose by 10-15+ lol. 

i remember the 72 win Bulls getting beat by a bottom feeding nuggets team by like 30

11 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

The three ball certainly plays a big part of it, but this team does lose more in blowouts than most other great teams. Lets look at the four playoff losses the last two years:

Game 4 vs Cavs 137-116

Game 4 vs Spurs 103-90

Game 3 vs Pelicans 119-100

Game 2 vs Rockets 127-105

So yeah, when they lose, they lose big lol. Not that surprising when you think of how sloppy they could get with the rock and the power the three ball. If they aren't hitting and the other team is, then blouses. 

13 hours ago, showtime said:

Curry and Thompson shot like butt.  Tucker, Ariza and co. played amazingly.  Don't expect that trend to continue.

12 games into the post season and Tucker is still hitting 48% from 3 on almost 5 attempts. He's been money all post season and hes played at a 1st team all D level since he went into the starting line up. 

Ariza is Ariza. He made Durant work extremely hard, Durant still went off, but in 2 games Durant has 1 assist. I like that. Ariza was not having a great shooting night. He was 1 for 3 from the 3 point line and got a ton of dunks and open lay ups. That trend will continue if he keeps getting wide open lay ups. 

Curry was just off and i suspect he has a big game 3. Thompson is a catch and shoot guy. The rockets limited him by playing tight D on him and not giving him open catch and shoot hits. He was 2 of 4 from 3 yesterday. He was 1 of 7 from 2 because we made him shoot off the dribble. 

Now i dont know if those trends will continue but the Klay game from yesterday was more about the Rockets D than Thompson being bad. Curry was more about Curry being bad. 

The game last night turned when Houston went Death Line up vs Death Line Up. It's the first time i can remember that team matched them in the small ball and actually had an advantage. 

The went with Tucker/Ariza/Gordon/Harden/CP3 and they were able to switch everything and force the warriors into tough shot after tough shot. All 5 of those rockets are better 3 point shooters than Green and Iguodola. Green was trying to help out on D like he does, and he was great at it, but the rockets ball movement was fantastic. During that run Tucker hit back to back 3s in the corner and it forced Green away from help D and out on Tucker. The rockets got dunk after dunk during these lineups. When ever Green would leave Tucker, he made them pay. The rockets generated 12 uncontested 3s last night....12....we only made 6 of them. Normally 50% is an amazing 3 point shooting number, but it also means we missed 6 open 3s. 

The warriors have never had their death line up destroyed like it was last night. I am not saying this will be a pattern or anything like that, But i am saying that it shows the Rockets have built a team with the warriors in mind, that is capable of beating the warriors. I still think the warriors are far and away the better team, but the playoffs are about who plays better on any given night.

The warriors are deadly at home, it could easily be 3-1 going back to Houston. I would love to replace Ariza with Paul George this off season. i think that single change would make the Rockets very capable of beating the warriors 4 times in the playoffs. Its most likely wishful thinking, but the Rockets are proving to be the best chance for a free agent if he wants to beat the warriors, and cap wise it can be made to work if some guys are willing to make it work. I think PG is going to LA for a full 4 year max, but for a 1/1 deal with the Rockets starting at 25 million he can possibly win a championship. we will see what happens. I think PG more so than Lebron gives us our best chance to beat the warriors next year. I honestly dont see CP3 being the guy that takes a super max deal and keeps us from getting a 3rd star. CP3 and PG both taking 25 million allows us to keep Tucker and Capela and fill the rest of the roster with vet mins like Green, Moute and Joe Johnson

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

The game last night turned when Houston went Death Line up vs Death Line Up. It's the first time i can remember that team matched them in the small ball and actually had an advantage. 

The went with Tucker/Ariza/Gordon/Harden/CP3

Before the series started, I said this pretty much word for word and people kept arguing with me about it.  I said that Capela wouldn't have much impact on this series and I gave that exact lineup you listed.  Capela is a beast, but his impact is way less in this series than against any other team in the league.  Obviously nobody is as good as the Warriors death lineup, but the Rockets have the best shot at going at them head up with their own version of the "Hampton 5".

38 minutes ago, showtime said:

Before the series started, I said this pretty much word for word and people kept arguing with me about it.  I said that Capela wouldn't have much impact on this series and I gave that exact lineup you listed.  Capela is a beast, but his impact is way less in this series than against any other team in the league.  Obviously nobody is as good as the Warriors death lineup, but the Rockets have the best shot at going at them head up with their own version of the "Hampton 5".

That lineup only works if they do what they did yesterday. 3 of those players played well above their average. I think Gordon is fairly explosive scorer so he can repeat that, but the other 2 guys played at an insane level that is unlikely to be repeated. All 3 were absolutely dumpster juice in game 1 too.

I'm not trying to say I don't agree that that lineup isn't great, but it has to work at an insane level to keep a good player like Capela (whose D alone has been awesome) off the floor.

One good point D'antoni made about switching everything is it forces the opposing team to play more isolation ball, and even though KD thrives under it, doesn't mean it works as well for others. So you saw Klay try to force it a few times to no avail and same with guys like Swaggy P. Curry actually started going by his guy off switches so it worked for him.....up until he got to the rim and missed at least three or four lay ups. 

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

One good point D'antoni made about switching everything is it forces the opposing team to play more isolation ball, and even though KD thrives under it, doesn't mean it works as well for others. So you saw Klay try to force it a few times to no avail and same with guys like Swaggy P. Curry actually started going by his guy off switches so it worked for him.....up until he got to the rim and missed at least three or four lay ups. 

To be fair, most of those weren't exactly easy layups that he missed. Granted, by his own lofty standards they probably should be, but for anyone else those were still tough shots at the rim.

2 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

To be fair, most of those weren't exactly easy layups that he missed. Granted, by his own lofty standards they probably should be, but for anyone else those were still tough shots at the rim.

Some were, some were just bad misses. And one he tried doing a 180 when it was so unnecessary lol. 

29 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

That lineup only works if they do what they did yesterday. 3 of those players played well above their average. I think Gordon is fairly explosive scorer so he can repeat that, but the other 2 guys played at an insane level that is unlikely to be repeated. All 3 were absolutely dumpster juice in game 1 too.

I'm not trying to say I don't agree that that lineup isn't great, but it has to work at an insane level to keep a good player like Capela (whose D alone has been awesome) off the floor.

It works better than Capela being out there.  Capela isn't some beast big man like Hakeem or Shaq, he doesn't do enough to off-set the massive disadvantage he has when guarding one of Golden State's wing players.  Yea, he'll grab some rebounds and change some shots in the paint, but the Warriors don't depend on getting buckets in the paint like most teams.  Their easiest shots are jumpers because they have arguably the 3 greatest shooters ever and those guys mostly take wide open jumpers.

When you have Tucker and Ariza out there, at least those two can match-up with guys like Draymond and Durant.  You're right, those guys played out of their minds last night and that probably won't happen again, but finally a team tries to match-up with GSW instead of playing a center and letting the Warriors abuse that match-up.  D'Antoni made the right adjustment.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Some were, some were just bad misses. And one he tried doing a 180 when it was so unnecessary lol. 

Lol, yeah I remember I had the exact same thought when he went for that.

If I'm the Warriors though, I'm still not that worried. It was a disappointing game for sure, but I don't think a lot of what the Rockets did is sustainable for a full series, especially against a team as talented as the Dubs.

2 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

Capela has done an amazing job stepping out and guarding guys on switches from what I remember.. He has not been a defensive liability in the series.

yup and give credit to Curry for being able to finish with Capela right on him. it might be the most underrated aspect of his game... maybe other than defense. 

11 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

yup and give credit to Curry for being able to finish with Capela right on him. it might be the most underrated aspect of his game... maybe other than defense. 

curry cant shoot threes anymore, he is washed 

Archived