NFL to hire 24 full time officials

theJ

Seems like a PR move to me. 24 guys who can sit around all day numbing their minds "watching film". I'm curious who will be hired - will these be current NFL refs or will any of them want to give up a really good paying part time job for a 40 hr per week boredom fest? 

Most of all - will this even help? I suspect not. But we'll see. 

26 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

Eh....It's a nice move considering the league really should make all NFL officials full time.

Worth remembering that moving to full time officials was something opposed by the NFL refs themselves. 

4 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Worth remembering that moving to full time officials was something opposed by the NFL refs themselves. 

I did not know that, well they'd know best then wouldn't they.

Just now, OleXmad said:

They prefer it part-time because it allows them to make more money.(they get to work their day job in addition to pulling the NFL ref salary)

1 hour ago, OleXmad said:

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

They prefer it part-time because it allows them to make more money.(they get to work their day job in addition to pulling the NFL ref salary)

As @jrry32 mentioned, it has a lot to do with guys like Eddie Gunz who are able to have jobs like being partners at a law firm while also being NFL officials as a side hustle. 

2 hours ago, sp6488 said:

As @jrry32 mentioned, it has a lot to do with guys like Eddie Gunz who are able to have jobs like being partners at a law firm while also being NFL officials as a side hustle. 

Yes, and being full time employees also opens them up to more potential discipline for screwing up. It was a major sticking point in the last negotiations with the officials union and the NFL and led to the replacement official debacle that ultimately reached it's zenith with the Fail Mary; causing the NFL to blink and give up on full time officials and more accountability at the time. 

We know a few things from academic research and practical experience:

• Practice for the sake of practice doesn't make you better at a thing. You have to target your practice toward a weakness, on purpose. In other words, don't go through the motions. 
  • People who aren't motivated to do a task are often not as good at it. 
  • People who aren't intrinsically motivated by a job often don't work that job for long. Employee satisfaction is directly related to turnover and job performance. 

I predict that when the year is out, we'll find that the full time refs don't grade higher than the part time refs. 

On 8/11/2017 at 6:37 AM, theJ said:

We know a few things from academic research and practical experience:

• Practice for the sake of practice doesn't make you better at a thing. You have to target your practice toward a weakness, on purpose. In other words, don't go through the motions. 
  • People who aren't motivated to do a task are often not as good at it. 
  • People who aren't intrinsically motivated by a job often don't work that job for long. Employee satisfaction is directly related to turnover and job performance. 

I predict that when the year is out, we'll find that the full time refs don't grade higher than the part time refs. 

I predict that when the year is out, we'll find that the full time refs grade higher than the part time refs in the study conducted by the NFL. Depending on how the union is feeling about this development, they may also get lower grades by the union. 

None of these grades will actually reflect the job done on the field.

54 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I predict that when the year is out, we'll find that the full time refs grade higher than the part time refs in the study conducted by the NFL. Depending on how the union is feeling about this development, they may also get lower grades by the union. 

None of these grades will actually reflect the job done on the field.

Haha fair enough. 

Archived