Lions Patricia Indicted for Sexual Assault in '96

MightyMouse07

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Wasn't something like this discovered about Vance Joseph when he was hired last year

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

I don’t think Joesph was ever charged, but Elway said at the time that the alleged incidents were discussed during the hiring process.

Correct.  Given Patricia was investigated and no charges laid I’d expect this goes away, especially given the time frame involved to try and re-investigate for the NFL; and the Lions’ statement they were aware (like DEN was aware with Joseph).

9 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Dismissed? Then shouldn't be a story. There also ought to be a statute of limitations on this sort of thing. 22 years ago?! Investigated and Dismissed? Sigh.

He was indicted by a grand jury and the only reason it was dismissed, according to police records, was that the victim "didn't want to go through with the stress of a trial".

So it's not as simple as there wasn't enough evidence to bring it to trial, per say. They wanted to bring it to trial, and probably thought they had enough evidence for a conviction, but they needed the victim's testimony.

No doubt that he doesn't face any legal problems now - there probably is a statute of limitations in place. But the statute of limitations applies to law - not the NFL or the court of public opinion. The NFL has shown to hand out discipline to those who tarnish its public image - regardless of their legal standing. One could argue this applies to Patricia here. Although I'm inclined to hope not - considering it was before he involved in the NFL at all.

Robert Snell the Detroit reporter who dug this up was probably just looking for click bait and is a D-Bag for doing so. The man hasn't coached a game yet for the team Snell is covering and you dig this up for what reason? It's down time in the NFL and nothing else to write about? The man was never found guilty and remains innocent to this day. No journalistic integrity at all.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So it's not as simple as there wasn't enough evidence to bring it to trial, per say. They wanted to bring it to trial, and probably thought they had enough evidence for a conviction, but they needed the victim's testimony.

Where are you getting this info from? Seems like conjecture to me.

56 minutes ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Impressive the Patriots were able to keep this under wraps for 22 years. Just shows you how duplicitous that franchise really is 

Look I'll hate on the Pats as quick as anybody, this should have been a non-story from the get go.

"The charge was dismissed by the prosecutor at the request of the complaining individual prior to trial," Lions owner Martha Firestone Ford, general manager Bob Quinn and president Rod Wood said in a joint statement. "As a result, Coach Patricia never had the opportunity to present his case or clear his name publicly in a court of law. He has denied that there was any factual basis for the charge. There was no settlement agreement with the complaining individual, no money exchanged hands and there was no confidentiality agreement.

This wasn't Matt Patricia the millionaire NFL coach. This was a 21 year old Patricia who wouldn't have been able to buy his way out of an accusation. The charge was dismissed at the female's request.

I don't think this has any effect on Patricia's employment, nor will there be a suspension.

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

He was indicted by a grand jury and the only reason it was dismissed, according to police records, was that the victim "didn't want to go through with the stress of a trial".

That's a pretty big "probably," guy. Maybe the testimony was the only thing they had, and without it they had nothing at all.

I'm not bending over backward to say I know he's innocent, just saying none of us know anything.

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Impressive the Patriots were able to keep this under wraps for 22 years. Just shows you how duplicitous that franchise really is 

9 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Look I'll hate on the Pats as quick as anybody, this should have been a non-story from the get go.

This wasn't Matt Patricia the millionaire NFL coach. This was a 21 year old Patricia who wouldn't have been able to buy his way out of an accusation. The charge was dismissed at the female's request.

Just now, lancerman said:

So paranoid 

There are a lot of past events that the Pats org has to own when new stuff comes to light - this really isn't one of them.   It was before he even started playing, let alone coaching.  And because it was dismissed, it's not like Patricia had to disclose.  It wouldn't be the standard if it was a dismissed case AFAIK.

Now, on the other hand, if Brady was somehow generally aware, then clearly he'll need to be suspended 10 games, and the Pats forfeiting 2, if not 3 first-round picks. 

39 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

That's a pretty big "probably," guy. Maybe the testimony was the only thing they had, and without it they had nothing at all.

I'm not bending over backward to say I know he's innocent, just saying none of us know anything.

If the prosecution wants to take it to trial, you can be sure that they believe they have enough evidence to get a conviction, whether or not they actually would have. State prosecutors rarely try to act on a case they don't think they can win; to do so would be a waste of resources. That's all I said, perhaps you misunderstood me.

33 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Where are you getting this info from? Seems like conjecture to me.

" The case never went to trial after, according to authorities, the victim decided not to testify due to feeling she could not “face the pressures or stress of a trial.” - Deadspin https://deadspin.com/we-found-matt-patricia-s-sexual-assault-indictment-in-3-1825909467

I am guilty of some conjecture, sure, but tbh its the natural consequence of this statement in combination with the grand jury inditement.

Of course now you are guilty of some conjecture here. All we know for sure is she didn't want to testify.

We're probably getting a little OT, no?   I'll own my part, in making the Pats reply, too.   But this is probably going to a bad place...unless we're talking about how Brady clearly will get the blame for this.

(Oops, I did it again. Sorry).

Back to Patricia - given what happened with Vance Joseph, I really don't see how this goes anywhere.   Only correction I'll make to my earlier statement on Joseph is DET being unaware of this (where DEN was about Joseph) - but man, that's as much on them, given this was publicly available info, too. 

Archived