Jump to content
MightyMouse07

Lions Patricia Indicted for Sexual Assault in '96

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://deadspin.com/report-lions-coach-matt-patricia-was-indicted-for-sexu-1825907950

I think the scarier thing is that this hadn't come up before. The Lions didn't even know about it until someone asked them about the incident. It is also alarming that Rod Wood would make a statement that is false.

Quote

Wood also said the woman recanted the sexual assault allegations multiple times — a claim not substantiated by existing records or lawyers for Patricia and his fraternity brother.

I don't think anything will come from this but you'd think a team would do more homework on a big time hire like a head coaching job. Also surprised this didn't come up during his time with the Patriots. 

Edited by MightyMouse07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In all fairness, Cooter has a rather checkered past with this kind of thing. DET hired him, now they are together though, just bizarre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That being said, let's see what rulings happen before damning the guy. Certainly is fishy that this comes up so suddenly AFTER he gets a monster promotion...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a long post typed up but deleted it instead. All I’ll say is that I bet this thread gets locked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious if Goddell decides to have the NFL investigate this and how they would handle it. I don't think they would since there was no trial and the case was dismissed 22 years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't news worthy since it's the case is so old and while this probably should be talked about to some degree because I doubt this is something more than .1% of lions fans know,  we all know how well discussions about stuff like this end on the internet. 

Still Matt Patricia and the lions got painted in a newer light for me now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to be a tough one either way. Serious allegation but even if true at this point you are so many years removed from a he said vs she said that's it's going to be impossible to figure out what happened. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Timing of this being revealed is interesting, both from the perspective of the position the man was hired for, as well as the culture in society today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

https://deadspin.com/report-lions-coach-matt-patricia-was-indicted-for-sexu-1825907950

I think the scarier thing is that this hadn't come up before. The Lions didn't even know about it until someone asked them about the incident. It is also alarming that Rod Wood would make a statement that is false.

I don't think anything will come from this but you'd think a team would do more homework on a big time hire like a head coaching job. Also surprised this didn't come up during his time with the Patriots. 

I'm not sure why the Lions would care. No trial, case was dismissed, happened 20+ years ago. That's not really relevant to any hiring process, honestly. And I can't imagine a question they would ask where Patricia would have to reveal it. You're probably not going to get overly intense into the background check of a guy who has worked in the NFL for 15 years either. If anything happened recently enough to matter, it'd be public knowledge anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly thought this was a total joke thread before I clicked on it.  Jesus, this "Me Too" movement is getting out of hand.  Should have handled it 22 years ago, even if the allegations weren't false

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, lancerman said:

This is going to be a tough one either way. Serious allegation but even if true at this point you are so many years removed from a he said vs she said that's it's going to be impossible to figure out what happened. 

He didn’t get indicted recently. He was indicted years ago and the case was dismissed. Nobody’s trying to find out what happened at this point.

This is only news because of the click bait way-of-things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

He didn’t get indicted recently. He was indicted years ago and the case was dismissed. Nobody’s trying to find out what happened at this point.

This is only news because of the click bait way-of-things.

The case was apparently dismissed because the alleged victim couldn’t face the trial. 

This is a serious situation and, despite the fact it was years ago, I’d expect the NFL to investigate if it wasn’t already aware of it.

Patricia might be looking at action from the league when all’s said and done.

To give a comparison, there are rumours in Tampa (one sports writer, but he seems connected) that Winston will catch a one game suspension for failing to notify the league of the Uber situation (ie that he was banned). That’s before the allegations of the driver are even fully investigated, or any indictments are handed out.

The NFL can’t be seen to let an allegation as serious as this go without investigating.  That May already have happened years ago, but we’ll see I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

Patricia might be looking at action from the league when all’s said and done.

Are there any examples at all of a coach or player being disciplined for something that they were accused of, prior to being employed by the NFL? 

Jameis as an example doesn’t fly. Neither does Zeke or Hardy. All were current NFL employees that broke a conduct policy. Patricia in this case wasn’t employed by the NFL, and thus was not subject to any policy. And while I understand that due process means little to the NFL in terms of dishing out suspensions or fines, this is a bit of a stretch considering this happened before he was hired.

This would be like Baker Mayfield, Antonio Callaway, or Joe Mixon being disciplined for their actions prior to being drafted.

 

Edited by Yin-Yang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Yin-Yang said:

Are there any examples at all of a coach or player being disciplined for something that they were accused of, prior to being employed by the NFL? 

Jameis as an example doesn’t fly. Neither does Zeke or Hardy. All were current NFL employees that broke a conduct policy. Patricia in this case wasn’t employed by the NFL, and thus was not subject to any policy. 

This would be like Baker Mayfield, Antonio Callaway, or Joe Mixon being disciplined for their actions prior to being drafted.

 

I agree with that - the Winston example (or any current player for that matter - isn’t a good comparison, but is indicative that the league takes a hard line on these things.

Whether that means they could retrospectively apply to someone who wasn’t in the league at the time, I guess that depends on the agreement between the NFL and the coaches association. That could be, for example, if he didn’t disclose the indictment if he was required to on entering the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×