Lions Patricia Indicted for Sexual Assault in '96

MightyMouse07

11 minutes ago, Buc Ball said:

I agree with that - the Winston example (or any current player for that matter - isn’t a good comparison, but is indicative that the league takes a hard line on these things.

Whether that means they could retrospectively apply to someone who wasn’t in the league at the time, I guess that depends on the agreement between the NFL and the coaches association. That could be, for example, if he didn’t disclose the indictment if he was required to on entering the league.

Coaches are held to the same conduct policy as the players. 

It is a privilege to be part of the National Football League. Everyone who is part of the league must refrain from “conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in” the NFL. This includes owners, coaches, players, other team employees, game officials, and employees of the league office, NFL Films, NFL Network, or any other NFL business.

I can’t think of an example of an NFL employee being disciplined for something they did prior to being employed by the league.

Punishing a current employee for an accusation of a transgression that occured before the employee was hired has to be against some labor law, correct? I mean, there's just no way that is legal. The United States has laws protecting workers for this exact reason. 

I'm going to say it's fine to have a thread about this but only if people stick to how this could affect Matt Patricia and the Lions. I will be keeping a very close eye on this thread, and any conversation swaying in the direction of rape, politics, attacks of other members, or any other discussion topic outside of forum rules will likely get this locked. Thanks

2 hours ago, Jaegybomb said:

Didn't the whole Zeke thing happen before he played in the NFL?

Played, yes, signed and drafted, no. The events in question either did or didn't occur in July 2016. He was drafted in April 2016 and signed in May 2016. So he was in the NFL, under contract, and subject to the CBA and all the NFL's rules by that point.

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Punishing a current employee for an accusation of a transgression that occured before the employee was hired has to be against some labor law, correct? I mean, there's just no way that is legal. The United States has laws protecting workers for this exact reason. 

One of the many lawyers on the site would probably be able to answer about the labor laws, but i would say there probably isnt anything on the books bc it goes against common sense.  As far as whether the nfl knew, or it was disclosed, more than likely both the nfl knew through their background check, and Patricia was never required to disclose it bc he wasnt convicted.  An indictment is only an accusation its not a conviction.  The case was dismissed.  Due process was met and the evidence was found wanting.  Mostly this is a nothing burger, but when the league os trying to look progressive, its bad optics.

4 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I can’t think of an example of an NFL employee being disciplined for something they did prior to being employed by the league.

Terrelle Pryor maybe? 

50 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

22 years ago? Isn't there a statute of limitations? No disrespect but things like this always seem weird to me

I cant imagine the Lions knew anything about it right? Its not exactly something you ask in interviews

Apparently it was very easy to find the indictment using publicly available information, so it’s possibly a blind spot in their hiring process.

Either that, or they merely ask whether you have any reportable criminal convictions, verify your answer against your background check and leave it there. 

I would expect that we’ll see some kind of action from the NFL given the pr storm that this could cause, however they may not have power to do anything substantial.

It may result in a change in the process/ code of conduct going forward. Anything that comes of this for Patricia seems to be down to a business decision by the Lions.

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I wasn’t sure about whether coaches were bound by the same policy, but that clears that up.

1 minute ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Wasn't something like this discovered about Vance Joseph when he was hired last year

I don’t think Joesph was ever charged, but Elway said at the time that the alleged incidents were discussed during the hiring process.

1 hour ago, Buc Ball said:

Apparently it was very easy to find the indictment using publicly available information, so it’s possibly a blind spot in their hiring process.

Either that, or they merely ask whether you have any reportable criminal convictions, verify your answer against your background check and leave it there. 

I would expect that we’ll see some kind of action from the NFL given the pr storm that this could cause, however they may not have power to do anything substantial.

It may result in a change in the process/ code of conduct going forward. Anything that comes of this for Patricia seems to be down to a business decision by the Lions.

Well the Lions said they were aware of it in their statement, didnt they? So it's not like they didn't know; they merely didn't think it was grounds not to hire him.

Archived