Are the playoffs really out of the question?

19 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Every year the schedule is “brutal”

Its really just because we are a bad team.

Nah the 2017 schedule had the Bears, Giants, Dolphins and Jets. All of which were winable games by teams that finished in the bottom 3rd of the NFL. 

The 2018 schedule has the Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Cheifs and Texans as our out of division games.

The Browns are a bad team but its even harder to win games when 80% of the teams you play are perennial playoff teams or teams looking to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

18 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Nah the 2017 schedule had the Bears, Giants, Dolphins and Jets. All of which were winable games by teams that finished in the bottom 3rd of the NFL. 

The 2018 schedule has the Falcons, Saints, Panthers, Raiders, Broncos, Chargers, Cheifs and Texans as our out of division games.

The Browns are a bad team but its even harder to win games when 80% of the teams you play are perennial playoff teams or teams looking to be in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Going into last years schedule the Giants were projected super bowl contenders.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Schedules are impossible or predict.

Underperfromers, overperformers, injuries, etc all make these reviews of the schedule in the spring a complete waste of time imo.

I agree, a part from the 2016 Browns talent wise we have been within reach of most teams. All rosters have strengths and weaknesses. Last year our worst player was our QB, seemingly irregardless of who was playing.
Last year we lost because of coaching and QB mostly. 

Playoffs feel like a stretch, but 6-8 wins seems very reasonable.

I think if Ogbah can't bring his fair share of pass rush the defense as a whole will suffer. Garrett will draw constant attention and it'll become imperative the others produce pressure for the rest of the D to hold up.

On Offense, it will really stunt the passing game if Flash is absent for any extended period of time. I hope this season is quite similar to Pat Mahomes's rookie season for Baker.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:48 PM, AkronsWitness said:

No just because of how brutal the schedule is. The only game that I feel like I can expect a win against is NY Jets week 3. If the Browns can get 6-7 wins with that schedule I will count the season as a success.

However, how in the hell do the Browns add. Tyrod Taylor, Carlos Hyde, Josh Gordon, Jarvis Landry, Nick Chubb, Baker Mayfield, Denzel Ward, Demarious Randall and EJ Gaines and they only get moved up one spot to #31 still below teams like the Bills, Colts, Jets and Dolphins.

How can anybody who writes a column put the Miami Dolphins above the Cleveland Browns after all of the off season additions is beyond me.

Its because NFL writers and NFL analysts have no creativity.  If you look at the rankings, its almost identical to what the ranking was at the end of last season.  This just doesn't happen year after year in the NFL.  No one has the forethought to understand the off season does make a difference.

We absolutely must get there soon. I have been tracking playoffs of the 4 major sports in america the last 4-5 years and our drought has grown into an epic level of bad. A few days ago I looked into what is happening in the NBA and the NHL playoffs and two more teams have gone to and won playoff series since the Browns have last even played in a playoff contest. Winnipeg Jets and Vegas Golden Knights(Seriously how does and expansion team in any sport dominate in  year 1?

31/31 NFL teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
30/30 NBA teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
31/31 NHL teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
29/30 MLB teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns(Seattle)

121/122 Pro Franchises have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns

27/31 NFL teams have been to and WON playoff game since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Lions(1990), Bengals(1991), Dolphins(2000), Bills(1995)
29/30 NBA teams have been to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Bucks(2001)
29/31 NHL teams have been to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
Panthers(1995), Blue Jackets(Never)
25/30 MLB teams hav ebeen to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Seattle(2001), Atlanta(2001), Washington(Never), Cincinnati(1995), San Diego(1998)

110/122 Pro Franchises have been to and WON playoff series since the last time Cleveland Browns were even IN the playoffs.

126/130 NCAA FBS Programs have been to Bowl since Browns were IN playoffs(The only 4 who haven't won yet haven't been bowl eligible for 5 years) 
114/130 NCAA FBS Programs have been to and WON Bowl games since Browns were IN playoffs

29/31 NFL Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
30/30 NBA Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
28/30 MLB Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
30/31 NHL Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance

117/122 Pro Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
-Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, Miami Marlins, Seattle Mariners, Vegas Golden Knights

Currently tied for 10th longest post season drought in NFL history with 15

Currently have 29th longest post season drought in sport history and most of those longer are Baseball droughts from years and years ago that will never be touched(Top 11 all baseball)

If they don't make the playoffs in the next 3 seasons we may be in danger of losing the team again and this time forever.

5 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

We absolutely must get there soon. I have been tracking playoffs of the 4 major sports in america the last 4-5 years and our drought has grown into an epic level of bad. A few days ago I looked into what is happening in the NBA and the NHL playoffs and two more teams have gone to and won playoff series since the Browns have last even played in a playoff contest. Winnipeg Jets and Vegas Golden Knights(Seriously how does and expansion team in any sport dominate in  year 1?

31/31 NFL teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
30/30 NBA teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
31/31 NHL teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns
29/30 MLB teams have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns(Seattle)

121/122 Pro Franchises have been to playoffs since Cleveland Browns

27/31 NFL teams have been to and WON playoff game since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Lions(1990), Bengals(1991), Dolphins(2000), Bills(1995)
29/30 NBA teams have been to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Bucks(2001)
29/31 NHL teams have been to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
Panthers(1995), Blue Jackets(Never)
25/30 MLB teams hav ebeen to and WON playoff series since Cleveland Browns were IN
-Seattle(2001), Atlanta(2001), Washington(Never), Cincinnati(1995), San Diego(1998)

110/122 Pro Franchises have been to and WON playoff series since the last time Cleveland Browns were even IN the playoffs.

126/130 NCAA FBS Programs have been to Bowl since Browns were IN playoffs(The only 4 who haven't won yet haven't been bowl eligible for 5 years) 
114/130 NCAA FBS Programs have been to and WON Bowl games since Browns were IN playoffs

29/31 NFL Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
30/30 NBA Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
28/30 MLB Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
30/31 NHL Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance

117/122 Pro Teams have been to playoffs TWICE since Browns last appearance
-Buffalo Bills, Oakland Raiders, Miami Marlins, Seattle Mariners, Vegas Golden Knights

Currently tied for 10th longest post season drought in NFL history with 15

Currently have 29th longest post season drought in sport history and most of those longer are Baseball droughts from years and years ago that will never be touched(Top 11 all baseball)

If they don't make the playoffs in the next 3 seasons we may be in danger of losing the team again and this time forever.

So you're saying we are due?

Franchises don't relocate because they lose, location, especially in the NFL, has very very little to do with that. We beat the Patriots in the playoffs in '94 and the relocation was announced during the following season. I don't trust our owner but his failings as an owner can't be traced back to the city or fans, only his hires and their hires and etc... What should be able to happen is that the city can relocate the owner if he is failing to show competence.

4 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

So you're saying we are due?

Franchises don't relocate because they lose, location, especially in the NFL, has very very little to do with that. We beat the Patriots in the playoffs in '94 and the relocation was announced during the following season. I don't trust our owner but his failings as an owner can't be traced back to the city or fans, only his hires and their hires and etc... What should be able to happen is that the city can relocate the owner if he is failing to show competence.

I understand that and I should have been more expansive on my opinion. I am not a Clevelander and I don't do the city thing very often. I don't think I have even been in the city in a half decade maybe more, so I cannot vouch for Cleveland itself but in my area of the waning interest in the Cleveland Browns is very real. It cannot be blamed on the declining interest in the NFL or Tom Brady's excuse that people are getting their entertainment through different means now. I see it with my eyes everyday. The people who do sport Browns gear are typically a lot older. Under 25 in Browns gear? Hardly ever. I try to talk about the Sunday game with my staff or players and less than 3 ever watched the game. It is trending downward badly and another 3 years of losing is going to lead to less and less sale and less and less tickets for games, and Jimmy Haslam got into this because he is a business man. Jimmy did not get into this because he is a Browns fan. If he comes down to him losing money he will try to re-brand and re-market his franchise in a heartbeat. The only way he can do anything so that it is not "the same old Browns" is to move and change everything. 

If losing caused teams to move the Kansas City Royals would have never won a World Series in 2015 it would have been the Nashville Bears.

I don't trust Jimmy to keep the team in Cleveland if he is losing money. He has tried changing regimes too many times now. The are going to chance the uniforms for a second time already. Guys like him with that kind of money and ego won't admit failure and sell the team either. He will change everything including team name or even the City.

12 hours ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I understand that and I should have been more expansive on my opinion. I am not a Clevelander and I don't do the city thing very often. I don't think I have even been in the city in a half decade maybe more, so I cannot vouch for Cleveland itself but in my area of the waning interest in the Cleveland Browns is very real. It cannot be blamed on the declining interest in the NFL or Tom Brady's excuse that people are getting their entertainment through different means now. I see it with my eyes everyday. The people who do sport Browns gear are typically a lot older. Under 25 in Browns gear? Hardly ever. I try to talk about the Sunday game with my staff or players and less than 3 ever watched the game. It is trending downward badly and another 3 years of losing is going to lead to less and less sale and less and less tickets for games, and Jimmy Haslam got into this because he is a business man. Jimmy did not get into this because he is a Browns fan. If he comes down to him losing money he will try to re-brand and re-market his franchise in a heartbeat. The only way he can do anything so that it is not "the same old Browns" is to move and change everything. 

If losing caused teams to move the Kansas City Royals would have never won a World Series in 2015 it would have been the Nashville Bears.

I don't trust Jimmy to keep the team in Cleveland if he is losing money. He has tried changing regimes too many times now. The are going to chance the uniforms for a second time already. Guys like him with that kind of money and ego won't admit failure and sell the team either. He will change everything including team name or even the City.

I think with the new legislation on sports betting all sports are gonna see an up tick for at least a couple years but especially the NFL and NCAA football until it plays itself out imo. Never under estimate peoples desire to risk their entire paycheck on whether or not Josh Gordon has 100 yards receiving or not lol. 

@TheeRealDeal, I agree with most of your post, but I don't think Jimmy will move the Browns.  You could argue that he's made every bad move imaginable, and he's STILL making money and has a passionate fanbase.  It won't last forever, obviously, but if he's making money now, he'll be making boatloads of it when we get to mediocre and beyond.

Archived