Problem Liking Posts

JBURGE

• 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, MathMan said:

Could you bump it up to 20 likes per day?

I promise, the forum wont explode.

Its fun to give props to other community members, especially during gameday threads.

And its disappointing when you run out.

I do have to agree with this. On Sunday I ran out of likes by midday at some point. Was frustrating with all the posts that were made that I couldn't give more credit to members that I thought had intelligent/meaningful posts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Quick question from a new poster. I have read that you need to click a football to be able to like a post, but I do not see a football at all on here. Just wondering why that might be! Thanks

Welcome to the forum.  

I'm a new member. Why can't I like posts? Why can't I post anymore today?

To prevent spammers and trolls new members can only make 20 posts per day.  They also can't like posts and have a few other restrictions on their accounts.   New members will become regular members after a week or two of regular contributions, if they don't spam or cause any problems.  

• 2 months later...

Weird - I just browsed the Main Page, saw jrry32 posted 21 hours here on this topic, but when I clicked, I come here...and only see Webby's Dec 2017 post.

Just a Q - is there any thought to increasing like #'s per day?   On gameday, 20 is easy to hit - on Draft Weekend, or the Combine, also very easy.   Just a thought.  I get the limit is there for new members, totally understood.  Does the software enable a higher # likes if you're past a certain post threshold?  That would prevent the issue with spambots...which I also get.  If not, no worries.

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Just a Q - is there any thought to increasing like #'s per day?   On gameday, 20 is easy to hit - on Draft Weekend, or the Combine, also very easy.   Just a thought.  I get the limit is there for new members, totally understood.  Does the software enable a higher # likes if you're past a certain post threshold?  That would prevent the issue with spambots...which I also get.  If not, no worries.

The like feature is very new for us and I'm still trying to figure out it's role for our community.   My hope was that it would encourage members to increase the quality of their posts.  Instead, it's just a way for members to say 'I agree' or 'this is funny'.     The most liked posts are basically one liners.  I fear that it is encouraging more jokes and memes at the expense of quality in-depth replies.    Why spend a long time on a quality reply when you can post a silly one liner and get double the likes?   Even worse is when I see blatant rule violations receive 'likes', as that just encourages more rule violations.

I'm not going to remove the feature, but limiting the likes to a reasonable number is needed.   On top of the issues already mentioned, members have been trying to game the reputation system since it started.  A couple have registered 2nd usernames to like their own posts.  I've seen a couple discussions on the forum basically saying  "We can't let a (insert rival) fan be first on the leader board.  Everyone like (member)  to pass them."   Friends have gone back and forth liking every post each other makes.    Without a reasonable limit, I'm afraid it would just lead to a lot more silly childish games.  

Right now we have a tiered system that rewards the vet members with more likes.  New members have 0 likes, Members 10 likes and Vet members 20 likes per day.    Maybe this is something we can bump up or add more tiers to in the future, but I want to wait a little longer to see to see how this feature matures.  

The most liked posts are basically one liners.

Brevity is the soul of wit.

A couple have registered 2nd usernames to like their own posts.

I had a feeling something was suspicious about new poster tytyty.

My hope was that it would encourage members to increase the quality of their posts. 

Quality members will continue to be quality members, before and after, regardless of likes. I think there's still really good content here, and those people get likes too. Or people who do sigs for people. But things in life are funny, so if things make you laugh, the natural response is to like it.

I think having likes is "good for business" though, because of the "slot machine factor".  I agree that there should be a cap, because you know there will be one guy who wants to see what happens when he stays up late to like every single post in the forum

Archived