Which Division Sends 3 Teams to the Playoffs?

footbull3196

Which division sends 3 teams to the playoffs?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which division sends 3 teams to the playoffs?

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

So any team that turns the corner is a one year wonder and should be viewed as a team that will fall off a cliff the following year?

Okay...

2015 Panthers went 15-1 and then went 6-10 

2016 Raiders went 12-4 then 7-9 

2015 Cards went 13-3  then 7-8-1

2012 Falcons went 13-3 then 4-12

What I'm saying is when a team shatters/breaks expectations (I.E Break a long losing streak ,reach/almost reach a superbowl) and has a really good year it's usually going to revert back to the mean unless they have excellent coaching/a top 5 QB. Even a top 5ish QB isn't immune to regression (see Newton,Ryan etc.) 

I fully expect the Rams to fall back to earth as well, it's not impossible for the Jaguars to go 10-6 again but I'd bet against it given how hard success is to replicate in the NFL.

3 minutes ago, DingoLadd said:

2015 Panthers went 15-1 and then went 6-10 

2016 Raiders went 12-4 then 7-9 

2015 Cards went 13-3  then 7-8-1

2012 Falcons went 13-3 then 4-12

What I'm saying is when a team shatters/breaks expectations (I.E Break a long losing streak ,reach/almost reach a superbowl) and has a really good year it's usually going to revert back to the mean unless they have excellent coaching/a top 5 QB. Even a top 5ish QB isn't immune to regression (see Newton,Ryan etc.) 

I fully expect the Rams to fall back to earth as well, it's not impossible for the Jaguars to go 10-6 again but I'd bet against it given how hard success is to replicate in the NFL.

Yes, it happens. But there's plenty of instances where a team turns the corner and doesn't revert back to an under .500 season too.

They very well could as I said. But it seems like you're pegging it due to Bortles and Marrone (Bortles ok, I still don't understand the Marrone hate, he got one of the better seasons out of a Buffalo team and came here and went toe to toe with a Patriots team that has been dominating the AFC for a decade+). Bortles had a very poor supporting cast besides Fournette (the rookies stepped up, but not an ideal situation for a game manager which we used him as), why with better talent and another year in a system (Bortles hasn't had many instances of having this) should we expect regression?

On 5/11/2018 at 8:51 PM, .Buzz said:

Yes, it happens. But there's plenty of instances where a team turns the corner and doesn't revert back to an under .500 season too.

They very well could as I said. But it seems like you're pegging it due to Bortles and Marrone (Bortles ok, I still don't understand the Marrone hate, he got one of the better seasons out of a Buffalo team and came here and went toe to toe with a Patriots team that has been dominating the AFC for a decade+). Bortles had a very poor supporting cast besides Fournette (the rookies stepped up, but not an ideal situation for a game manager which we used him as), why with better talent and another year in a system (Bortles hasn't had many instances of having this) should we expect regression?

Honestly I'm using the Raiders as the main comparison and the main reason (Young team, new coach, young QB finally took the next step and they broke a losing streak etc.)  they regressed is because of their terrible defense, even if the jaguars defense regresses I don't see it falling out of the top 10.

I think Marrone is a fine coach but he's nothing special and in a division with a two potentially good teams (Though to be fair all of them have bigger ?s than the Jaguars) we all know what Blake Bortles is at this point, a below average QB who can be a fine game manager but has clunker seasons from time to time. I'd bet on regression but at the end of the day football is weird and unpredictable. 

On 12/05/2018 at 1:24 AM, JBURGE25 said:

Hard to pick any division in the NFC. The North has 4 teams you could feasibly see making the playoffs, same with the South. The East has 3 (sorry Washington). The West has 3 (sorry Arizona). I just can't see both wild cards coming from the same division this year.

In the AFC the best chance has to be the West or honestly the South. I really have no clue what the Texans, Titans, and Colts are going to look like this year. If Luck is 100% I can;t see them not splitting the division games. I don't love the Titans but don't know what new coaching will do. 

imho if the east has three playoff contending teams it's dallas and not the skins that are the odd men out tbh

17 hours ago, DingoLadd said:

Honestly I'm using the Raiders as the main comparison and the main reason (Young team, new coach, young QB finally took the next step and they broke a losing streak etc.)  they regressed is because of their terrible defense, even if the jaguars defense regresses I don't see it falling out of the top 10.

Coming from a Raider fan, the 2016 Raiders team wasn't a good team and last years Jags is a much better overall team. That Raiders team was like 8-1 in one-score games, which is very unsustainable. Derek Carr and Khalil Mack were both playing at MVP levels, and carried that very average team to 12 wins. Carr, in particular, pulled games out of his rear end. He was magical at the end of games. We very well should've went 8-8 that year but the ball bounced our way a couple more times.

The Jags have a way better roster and coaching. They aren't reliant on any one particular player to be good. They are littered with young ascending players. Now I am not saying it's impossible the Jags will regress, but Its a bad comparison. Two completely different teams.

Archived