So,,, It Begins .. AGAIN. We Are Cursed .

RSkinGM

13 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Chris Thompson scores his 2nd touchdown of the day vs. LA Rams

https://youtu.be/DxPEt8Jj8g0 via @YouTube

Remember when Lauvao was healthy and he blocked two Rams on one play as Chris Thompson ran for a TD. 

I’m not trying to say Lauvao is a great guard here, but he’s certainly a serviceable player and we could do worse than him.

1. If you're going to show the value of a guy, perhaps using a video of where another player is highlighted isn't the best choice?
  2. He didn't block two Rams, he blocked Donald into Robert Quinn's helmet. Quinn was running to track down Thompson and Lauvao just pushed Donald into Quinn and snapped his head back.
  3. Looking at that play, I don't think Lauvao knew that Thompson cut back inside. That play looks like it is designed to go outside of Scherff's right shoulder, but #31 (Maurice Alexander?) crashes down to cut off that lane so Thompson bounces back inside. If Lauvao did know Thompson was coming back inside, why did he push Donald towards where Thompson was? That "spring block" was more lucky than good.

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

But the reality is it will probably be Lauvao. With Nsekhe getting plenty of LG reps in case when Lauvao flops/gets injured. Not ideal, for sure. 

FTFY

4 hours ago, e16bball said:

On a related note, I just realized that when I think of Shaun Lauvao, in my head I picture Winnie the Pooh. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFaF0BT3CEISNLmsYMy8O

519Qab4V3wL._SY355_.jpg

Okay ... that's kind of scary.

Let me take a bit of a contrarian position. Everyone who is objective or has an IQ above Forrest Gump know Lauvao sucks. It’s not reasonably debatebly. If Ty starts at Guard I think we are much better and the guy should have started three years ago. Why didn’t he? Dumbo Gruden. 

I don’t have a problem signing the guy Lauvao for chump change after no one else wanted him because Arie K is even stinkier garbage. Both Arie and Lauvao should be cut well before our final roster. If they aren’t, Blame the retard coach 

15 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Let me take a bit of a contrarian position. Everyone who is objective or has an IQ above Forrest Gump know Lauvao sucks. It’s not reasonably debatebly. If Ty starts at Guard I think we are much better and the guy should have started three years ago. Why didn’t he? Dumbo Gruden. 

I don’t have a problem signing the guy Lauvao for chump change after no one else wanted him because Arie K is even stinkier garbage. Both Arie and Lauvao should be cut well before our final roster. If they aren’t, Blame the retard coach 

I’d say Ty has to improve in some areas such as pulling and getting low while run blocking. 

Other than that, of course Ty is better. Ty is certainly a better pass blocker.

Hopefully Ty gets good in those areas and beats out Lauvao but I don’t think Ty is as good as most guards at pulling or getting low/good leverage in run blocking against shorter DTs at the moment because he’s not used to having to do it. If Ty is going to play guard, he’s going to have to improve getting low, pulling and his run blocking.

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I’d say Ty has to improve in some areas such as pulling and getting low while run blocking. 

Other than that, of course Ty is better. Ty is certainly a better pass blocker.

Hopefully Ty gets good in those areas and beats out Lauvao but I don’t think Ty is as good as most guards at pulling or getting low/good leverage in run blocking against shorter DTs at the moment because he’s not used to having to do it. If Ty is going to play guard, he’s going to have to improve getting low, pulling and his run blocking.

Ty is in his 30's how much better is he going to get. He signed his deal and is going to ride this thing out. 

Seriously. There needed to be a younger guy to come in and mold. Timon Parris could be that guy. Otherwise, they need to grab someone off the wire. 

8 hours ago, mike23md said:

Ty is in his 30's how much better is he going to get. He signed his deal and is going to ride this thing out. 

Seriously. There needed to be a younger guy to come in and mold. Timon Parris could be that guy. Otherwise, they need to grab someone off the wire. 

They signed Casey Dunn, a center who had started for Auburn last year. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Seeing as the Auburn running game was good last year and Dunn started 9 games, I’d say he must be decent and has a shot at making the team.

The running game for Auburn was good because of Braden Smith and Kerryon Johnson. 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:33 AM, mike23md said:

My point wasn’t that Ty was going to have to improve if he’s going to stay at OT, but if he’s going to play guard he’s going to have to improve at the things that guards do that are different than OTs. If Ty is going to be the starting LG, he’s going to have to learn and improve on a few things that guards do which he’s never had to do before such as pulling and getting low in run blocking to block short DTs who are used to playing low and with leverage. Ty plays high, if he’s going to play guard full time he’s going to have to play with his pad level lower. If he doesn’t, he’s going to he bowled over often by DTs. 

17 hours ago, mike23md said:

The running game for Auburn was good because of Braden Smith and Kerryon Johnson. 

Well he was the center, so he had something to do with that. I’m sure he called out the protections and the mike/set the blocking scheme up if he was Auburn’s center.

Also, I’m not saying the guy is going to come in here and be anything special but if you ask me if it’s between him and a guy like Timon Paris who’s an OT, I’d go with the back up center making the team over a 5th OT who’s trying to transition to guard.

It’s really most likely that Bergstrom makes it as our back up center/guard or Rhaney. Another one to watch other than how Catalina and Kalis improve from last year is TJ Clemmings. I’m interested to see if he improves with having a full offseason with the team and with Callahan.

Archived