Patriots cut 2017 3rd round pick Tony Garcia (Jets claim him on waivers)

49erurtaza

Considering they lost Solder and the OL has more question marks than proven players (particularly those capable of playing LT), the fact the Patriots are willing to move on after one year on a promising lineman they spent a 3rd round pick on should speak volumes about this guy's health.

Just retire, tbh.

10 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Blood clots in his lungs. Lost over 40 pounds.

He gained most of it back. 

But yeah, pretty clear his medical bill of health must be awful if NE got rid of him. 

Trent Brown, Marcus Cannon, Isaiah Wynn, and La’Adrian Waddle as NE’s tackles now.

oof. hope this guy will be able to enjoy a long life after football. doesn't sound like something you'd consider a 20-something guy would have to deal with.

Wynn will be a good tackle for them but that line sure looks spotty right now. not good if you start a 40 yo QB

31 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Blood clots in his lungs. Lost over 40 pounds.

31 minutes ago, IheartMyV8 said:

Was blood clots in the lungs his rookie season, not sure if it's the same thing now or something else 

19 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

But yeah, pretty clear his medical bill of health must be awful if NE got rid of him. 

Trent Brown, Marcus Cannon, Isaiah Wynn, and La’Adrian Waddle as NE’s tackles now.

Ouch, rough. Glad he's on the up and up. Is it career threatening like Chris Bosch? Or might it be another season before he makes his comeback?

1 hour ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Considering they lost Solder and the OL has more question marks than proven players (particularly those capable of playing LT), the fact the Patriots are willing to move on after one year on a promising lineman they spent a 3rd round pick on should speak volumes about this guy's health.

Just retire, tbh.

They're pretty set at OT to be honest.  The Brown acquisition sealed that.  None of those guys have much experience playing LT, but Wynn, Brown and Waddle each have the ability to play LT.  If I had to guess, they end up with Brown at the LT spot and Wynn getting an OG spot, with Cannon staying on the right side.  They're pretty deep at OT even with both losses.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think in addition to those guys, someone else currently on the roster will be there as a fourth or fifth reserve.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

oof. hope this guy will be able to enjoy a long life after football. doesn't sound like something you'd consider a 20-something guy would have to deal with.

Wynn will be a good tackle for them but that line sure looks spotty right now. not good if you start a 40 yo QB

Although there is not as much depth as initially planned or hoped for at least, the Pats have a solid line.

44 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Wow. That sucks.

19 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Sucks for Tony but honestly I dont think NE is going to have nearly as bad a year at tackle as most. They have a group of really good pass blocking OT's. 

The run game is where they should struggle at OT.

Wynn, if/when used at times to play left tackle, should do well as a run blocker as he did in college.

16 minutes ago, Duffman57 said:

They're pretty set at OT to be honest.  The Brown acquisition sealed that.  None of those guys have much experience playing LT, but Wynn, Brown and Waddle each have the ability to play LT.  If I had to guess, they end up with Brown at the LT spot and Wynn getting an OG spot, with Cannon staying on the right side.  They're pretty deep at OT even with both losses.

What @Duffman57 said. OLine coach Scarnechia said in a presser today that Wynn would be tested at both tackle and guard. I maintain that he is likely a reserve option at left tackle to start the regular season. He is a fantadtic run blocker and has great technique in pass protection. Still, I see Wynn's spot being left guard because Joe Thuney struggled in 2017 and is out until training camp witth foot surgery pending. Thuney will likely start off on either PUP or the Injured Reserve with a designation to return. I think Waddle will battle it out with Trent Brown for left tackle but my guess is Brown gets the nod. Giving up a third rounder this year to acquire Brown and now releasing last years third rounder, (Tony Garcia), indicates to me that he will find a way to earn the job at some point soon.

Archived