LD696

Patriots releasing Tony Garcia

Wynn better proves to be a good LT.

Hope he gets an opportunity with another team.  Sucks to never get the chance to prove yourself on the field

Sucks, i was hoping he’d be able to contribute this season - at least as a backup. Hope he gets his medical issues cleared up. 

I still like the Pats’ tackle positions.

This is only surprising if he really is healthy and ready to work OTA's. Its totally expected if he wont be in shape by the time OTAs starts. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Sucks, i was hoping he’d be able to contribute this season - at least as a backup. Hope he gets his medical issues cleared up. 

I still like the Pats’ tackle positions.

I do too. A lot hinges on how the Trent Brown left tackle experiment works. I think if it bombs, then once Thuney is healthy from his foot surgery, Wynn will kick over to tackle and Waddle will go back to being a backup while Brown learns technique, studies film, and tries to earn a spot back on tbe field. Dante Scarnecchia apparently said in his press conference today that Marcus Cannon is not expected to move from right tackle. I think Trent Brown is more likely to be the starter at left tackle early on. The only other positions Brown can conceivably play beside tackle are right guard and maybe left guard. Left guard would seem to be a slightly steeper learning curve for him given he is used to right tackle. The thought of a 6'8 LG and 6'2 LT side by side is unusual but I suppose that could be the best combination if Wynn has to play left tackle or is just so much better than everybody else.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

This is only surprising if he really is healthy and ready to work OTA's. Its totally expected if he wont be in shape by the time OTAs starts. 

Cut a guy this early into his NFL career because there are questions surrounding his conditioning heading into minicamp? If he is healthy, then the conditioning shouldn't be something to cut a guy for in his second year after trading up to the 85th pick to get him.

On a side note, what a bad year for trades in 2017.

•Move up to get Anthony Garcia who misses all season and is cut now

•Brandin Cooks (with Ryan Ramczyk at that pick for the Saints) while also swapping their third for the Saints fourth

•Jimmy G for a second after reportedly being offered at least a first prior to the 2017 draft

•Brisett for Dorsett

•Cassius Marsh who they cut weeks later... giving up a fifth round pick and a seventh rounder

I guess Dwayne Allen could block okay but what a disappointment he was as a viable receiving threat like at Clemson. What was the other trade they made? Oh, right. Just looked it up.

•Move down out of the second round to get Kony Ealy who they cut in training camp and goes on to be a sixteen game player for the division rival Jets

•Move out of the fifth round to get James O’Shaunessy who they cut week 1 of the regular season

•Trade away a valuable corner to the Seahawks in Justin Coleman for only a 7th round pick

•Then trade for a special team only player and poor tackler in Jonathan Bademosi when there was already a surplus of special team talent. They give up a sixth round pick which is less than what you got for trading away a superior all around player in Coleman

Just pitiful. They completely mismanaged and possibly overthought last off season. They treated the Malcolm Butler situation poorly and it came back to really bite them in the end. They don’t use Mike Gilislee at all after a promising start. Tom Brady and Rob Gronkowski get alienated by their head coach at some point. Their left side of the offensive line regresses, (Solder and Tunney), along with first rounder Malcolm Brown. Stephon Gilmore gets a top five cornerback contract and can’t even play well enough to not hurt the team in the first month or so. Their linebacker depth is atrocious and reserve safety Jordan Richard can’t get on the field who they spent a second on a season prior. Sebastian Vollmer had to retire early with a back injury and he leaves somewhat disgruntled. After blowing the Super Bowl, in my opinion by not preparing great for Nick Foles, they sabotage their good will with the Colts organization by deciding last minute to bring McDaniels back, (probably to appease the offensive guys, namely Brady).

Now, Robert Kraft is hanging out with Atlanta rappers that have been irrelevant in pop music for years. In the recent draft, the Pats seem lackadaisical in their pursuit of prospects until later in the second round. I don’t know what is going on since they beat the Falcons. Maybe it is the hangover from “Deflatgate”. Screw Roger Goodell. /rant

Edited by DoleINGout

16 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

•Move up to get Anthony Garcia who misses all season and is cut now

Your missing that they used extra picks they got in a trade down to make this move. If you go by the pick value chart, they made out like bandits. Sure, they took a guy who didnt ultimately work out, but thats the nature of the draft. 

•Brandin Cooks (with Ryan Ramczyk at that pick for the Saints) while also swapping their third for the Saints fourth

Cooks was a 1000 yard receiver with 7 TDs. He had one of the better statistical years for any WR. Then we traded him for a 1st and a sixth, which again, if you use the draft value sheet is more draft compensation than we originally traded him for. I wouldnt call these trades bad at all. 

•Jimmy G for a second after reportedly being offered at least a first prior to the 2017 draft

If you truly believe that there was  better offer on the table, fine. However, "reportedly" isnt enough for me to goff at this trade. 

•Brisett for Dorsett

Brisett doesnt look like he will ever put it together. Dorsett was also more or less useless. Teams giving each other their trash. If you want to argue that Jacoby will become something more, then I will argue you can't judge this trade until he does. 

17 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

•Cassius Marsh who they cut weeks later... giving up a fifth round pick and a seventh rounder

This one did not match the value they gave up. Still though, not like a 5th and 7th are all that valuable. Still, net loss. 

Move down out of the second round to get Kony Ealy who they cut in training camp and goes on to be a sixteen game player for the division rival Jets

We moved down eight spots to try out Kony Ealy. Its hard to argue why you wouldnt do that despite the fact it didnt work out. 

Move out of the fifth round to get James O’Shaunessy who they cut week 1 of the regular season

They also picked up a sixth round pick here. With the low value, it hard to admonish them for taking a flier while also moving back in the draft when they had no intention of picking anyone. 

Trade away a valuable corner to the Seahawks in Justin Coleman for only a 7th round pick

Coleman was trash for this team, not sure why you lament letting him leave. The fact they got any compensation is impressive. This was a 2018 7th btw

Then trade for a special team only player and poor tackler in Jonathan Bademosi when there was already a surplus of special team talent. They give up a sixth round pick which is less than what you got for trading away a superior all around player in Coleman

Are you purposely making this one look worse than it is? They gave up a 2019 sixth (denoting the year is important) in 2017 to get him. Coleman was a 2018 7th in 2017. Based on the year these picks were traded, the 7th round pick in 2018 actually has more value than the 2019 sixth. You can not think that, and thats fine, but it doesnt make it less true. Besides, Bademosi was far more valuable to this team than Coleman was. He played ST on top of doing a decent to very good job on defensive snaps. 

So does anyone agree with me that our OL is still a concern?

3 hours ago, TomRalph said:

So does anyone agree with me that our OL is still a concern?

LT/RB/WR are all worse than they were at this time last season 

19 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

and CB

Well he was the furthest thing from a sure thing. I know a lot Pats fans had him pinciled in as the started before the draft and I never figured out where all this confidence came from. Hoped he could at least remain as a rotational guy but I guess he is not even good enough for that, real shame.

Edited by The Third Rider

On 13.5.2018 at 12:26 PM, CP3MVP said:

How was RB better?

Lewis had 2 career TDs for NE at this time.