Your Personal Draft

FGK

@shoffma1999's post about his personal draft made me think.

If you could go back and re-pick our draft this year, assuming we make every pre-draft trade the same, and the ones during the draft, who would you pick at each spot? For me I think I would go...

1. Baker Mayfield, QB Oklahoma

4. Denzel Ward, CB, OSU

33. Harold Landry, DE, BC

35. Courtland Sutton/Anthony Miller, WR

67. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State

105. Antonio Callaway, WR, FLA (just made too much sense, he's Dorsey's "character gamble" for this draft)

150. Tyrell Crosby, OT Oregon, Genard Avery, DE/ILB, Memphis, or Dane Cruikshank, FS, AZ

175. John Kelly, RB, TENN (Gimme Kelly in the 6th over Chubb in the 2nd, allllllll day)

188. Cedrick Wilson, WR, BSU, Richie James, WR, MTS, Auden Tate, WR, FSU

#188 would have went with Ade Aruna or Jullian Taylor over Simeon Thomas. I know nothing about Thomas and never seen a single clip of him but I know the other two guys have some serious upside and I have seen some quality film on them.

The only player I feel like we missed on that I wanted was P.J. Hall but he would have been a major reach at #33 or #35 and he went before we had a chance at #64.

I know nothing about Chad Thomas either but none of the players than went after #67 got me excited either so I am perfectly fine with that pick.

I love this type of thread... @freakygeniuskid... good stuff...

I've played this scenario out multiple times since the draft..

Assuming you meant the board falls the same... my best player available board would've led me to select

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Sam Darnold QB, USC

• While Baker makes my pants tingle when I hear him speak and when he's lead of men-ing, I had Darnold as the clear, elite, pro-bowl, franchise changer QB1 based on 2 years of film)

4. Bradley Chubb DE, NC State

• Always take the elite pass rusher over the elite CB, especially when you can get similar CB impact in a later round (see my 2nd round pick). Chubb is a more Khalil Mack one arm post, bull rush, power player than a speed skater fluid mover outside burst and dip/flatten to the QB type of sack artists... Because of this, most thought Chubb wasn't a special pass rusher based on his tape, but when you mix his strength, hand technique, and elite of the elite relentlessness, motor, nastiness, and love for the game you have a 9 to 15 a year sack artists. Him, Ogbah, and Myles would've created a top 5 pass rushing unit for years to come. The flexibility to move Myles, Ogbah, or Chubb inside on 3rd down would've created nightmares for opposing offenses. Chubb's value in the run-game and how he sets the edge would have been on an elite level as well.

33. James Daniels C, Iowa

• He's a 10 year pro-bowl Center or Guard... his tape was some of the best I've seen at the center position in 10 years... special movement skills, flexibility, relentless motor, finishes with nastiness, uses length well, tremendous anchor, and great intangibles. I think he would've started over Tretter year 1 and gone on to be in the pro-bowl as a rookie. His impact would've made his selection a must although not the most pressing need. BPA.

35. Duke Dawson CB, Florida

• Beyond Mike Hughes' tape, Dawson's tape was my favorite to watch of a CB since Joe Haden's Florida tape... the competitive Fire and the relentless aggressive style of Dawson along with his ability to mirror and disrupt routes in press-man was elite imo. While he's smaller and ran a slower 40-time, he is a boundary CB not a slot. He's going to make a few pro-bowls before his time is done. He reminded me of a more fluid moving and even more physical Brent Grimes.

67. Joseph Noteboom LT, TCU

• Movement skills and hip fluidity and anchor were so underrated... needs more punch power, but uses length well, 10 years solid Starter, will easily earn a few pro-bowls.. I think he will start one day at LT or RT and never look back. Corbett is a better guard prospect, but in terms of LT ability based on the film it was Noteboom by a significant margine for me.

105. Antonio Callaway WR, Florida

• He was my 3rd best WR before I removed him from the board; it's a great pick and I agree with the gamble at this spot if they trust him.

150. Troy Fumagalli TE, Wisconsin

• One of the best high-point, sure-handed, pass catching TEs to come out in quite some time. Although a marginal athlete, he runs good routes and has natural instincts to get open. Fumagalli's long-term starter impact in the event that Njoku is ever unavailable for an extended period of time would have made this pick an easy one for me. He's a willing blocker and flex out as a WR if we wanted both he and Njoku on the field at the same time.

175. Damion Ratley WR, Texas A&M

• He was one of my sleepers from the jump... I called him Roddy-White in my pre-draft evaluation. Vertical threat with big time YAC ability.

188. Bo Scarbrough RB, Alabama

• (Hard nose, power, and burst on inside runs replicates the skill set of Chubb... both have knee issues in the past...didn't think RB with Hyde and Duke was that big of a need given the rest of the RBs available in the draft in later rounds..

1. Baker Mayfield QB

4. Denzel Ward CB

im keeping these two because I’ve accepted it and talked myself into the picks so why change it. 

33. Josh Jackson CB because why not. Let’s create a top flight secondary and really drive competition. 

35. Nick Chubb RB love him love the pick won’t change it 

67. Maurice Hurst UT - still thought he could be a stud rotational player and possible probowler 

i like everyone else except Thomas. 

1: Darnold 

4: Ward 

33: Landry

35: Guice but I also liked Chubb

67: Sam Hubbard or Jerome Baker

I didn’t follow rounds 4-7 as much due to coaching obligations, but I wanted St. Brown and DT from UM.

On 5/11/2018 at 12:45 PM, freakygeniuskid said:

@shoffma1999's post about his personal draft made me think.

If you could go back and re-pick our draft this year, assuming we make every pre-draft trade the same, and the ones during the draft, who would you pick at each spot? For me I think I would go...

4. Denzel Ward, CB, OSU

33. Harold Landry, DE, BC

35. Courtland Sutton/Anthony Miller, WR

67. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State

105. Antonio Callaway, WR, FLA (just made too much sense, he's Dorsey's "character gamble" for this draft)

150. Tyrell Crosby, OT Oregon, Genard Avery, DE/ILB, Memphis, or Dane Cruikshank, FS, AZ

175. John Kelly, RB, TENN (Gimme Kelly in the 6th over Chubb in the 2nd, allllllll day)

188. Cedrick Wilson, WR, BSU, Richie James, WR, MTS, Auden Tate, WR, FSU

Mine was very similar lol.

4. Denzel Ward, CB, OSU. I was afraid to really voice it, but I couldn't get comfortable with Chubb at 4 for whatever reason. Maybe I'll be wrong. That said, I was so focused on trading down for Ward that it was hard to imagine being forced to pick here. I was fuzzy about this pick even during the draft but immediate loved it. 

33. Harold Landry, DE, BC. I considered him at 12 with a Bills trade down from 4 so would grab him in a heartbeat at 33. I wanted him so bad here. Ugh.

35. Josh Jackson CB. It was probably overkill, but Ward and Jackson were my favorite to corners. I could see Jackson playing third safety well as well. Darn. 

67. Nathan Shepherd, DT, Fort Hays State. ?

105. Antonio Callaway, WR, FLA (just made too much sense, he's Dorsey's "character gamble" for this draft). Best receiver in the draft. This was where I mocked him religiously to the Browns.

150. Genard Avery, DE/ILB, Memphis. I just realized I got three of my dudes! I wouldn't call Ward my dude, as my dude was a trade down. I had no plan that made me happy at four other than trade down, though I admit Barkley would have been the most exciting had that shaken out.

175. John Kelly, RB, TENN (Gimme Kelly in the 6th over Chubb in the 2nd, allllllll day). I just realized, though, that I like Chubb at 35 much more than Chubb at 4, so there is that.

188. Cedrick Wilson, WR, BSU.

Browns draft was a storm of wind farts, raining sewage and turd hail stones. 

#1 Sam Darnold

Should have taken best QB at 1 over the best schmoozer.

#4 Roquan Smith

Barkley was gone so I would have went the real best defender in the draft. Smith is going to make all the Ward v Chubb talk irrelevant.

#33 Joshua Jackson

Will be better than Ward

#35 Isaiah Oliver

We sign a bunch of cast of never were DBs we still need good ones

#67 Justin Reid

If he is half as good as his Brother he is better than the guy we got from GB. Better yet how about we sign his brother too. Idiotic he is still on the market.

As much as I hated the draft I will be back in August lubed up and bent over ready for my yearly punishment.

12 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

Browns draft was a storm of wind farts, raining sewage and turd hail stones. 

#1 Sam Darnold

Should have taken best QB at 1 over the best schmoozer.

Maybe.

#4 Roquan Smith

Barkley was gone so I would have went the real best defender in the draft. Smith is going to make all the Ward v Chubb talk irrelevant.

I would vomit. Roquan Smith, the guy that can't get off blocks in college, should have been the pick? At a position we clearly don't have a need for? Even if you love Roquan (I don't), he's nowhere near worthy of a top 5 pick. Too limited in what he offers.

#33 Joshua Jackson

Will be better than Ward

What makes you believe this? Interception numbers in college? Being slightly bigger? Ward is better in literally every on-field aspect by a significant amount.

#35 Isaiah Oliver

We sign a bunch of cast of never were DBs we still need good ones

Ok fine. I can buy this argument.

#67 Justin Reid

If he is half as good as his Brother he is better than the guy we got from GB. Better yet how about we sign his brother too. Idiotic he is still on the market.

Wouldn't have been a bad pick, but I think Reid went right about where I had him graded out. It's not like he was some enormous steal IMO. I'd have been ok with it, but he's not better than I think Randall will be. I don't think S is a need for this team if we plan on playing Randall at FS. 

18 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Maybe.

I would vomit. Roquan Smith, the guy that can't get off blocks in college, should have been the pick? At a position we clearly don't have a need for? Even if you love Roquan (I don't), he's nowhere near worthy of a top 5 pick. Too limited in what he offers.

What makes you believe this? Interception numbers in college? Being slightly bigger? Ward is better in literally every on-field aspect by a significant amount.

Ok fine. I can buy this argument.

Wouldn't have been a bad pick, but I think Reid went right about where I had him graded out. It's not like he was some enormous steal IMO. I'd have been ok with it, but he's not better than I think Randall will be. I don't think S is a need for this team if we plan on playing Randall at FS. 

I agree with everything @BleedTheClock posted here. I would also like to know what you see in Ward that makes him a bad pick? He is by far the best cover CB in this draft and it's kinda not even close although Oliver is not bad but Ward is gonna be really good certainly the best CB in this draft imo. I think Radall is now playing his natural position so I don't see your beef there either. Our D coordinator said he couldn't play the defensive schemes he wanted too because he didn't have a good cover CB and you think this draft is a bust because we filled probably the biggest need in our D at #4 instead of taking the 1 position that has decent depth? Ugh and sigh

For me, assuming we didn't trade any of the picks because we didn't have the offers, this is how I think I would have handled our picks.

1. Sam Darnold QB, USC - He was always the best player in the draft to me and the best QB on the board.  I am okay with Mayfield but my dream was Darnold.

4. Bradley Chubb DE, NC State - I thought pairing him with Garrett would have been ridiculous!  I thought this was the best way to help the team.

33. Courtland Sutton WR, SMU - I thought Courtland was the second best WR in the draft.  I don't think we can rely on Josh Gordon to stay clean and wanted a big bodied WR to paid with Jarvis Laundry.

35. Connor Williams LT, Texas - I honestly still think hes the best LT in this draft.  I would like to see Shone Coleman get a shot, but I thought when Williams had another off season to recover from his knee injury, he would go back to his 2016 form, which was truly dominant on the blind side.  I still thought we needed a CB but he was too good to turn down here.

67. Maurice Hurst DT, Michigan - If I'm being completely honest, I would have been praying one of the CB's fall to here in Carlton Davis or Isaiah Oliver, but with them gone, and my draft crush Rashaad Penny going so early in the draft, I go where the draft takes me and choose a value pick player here.  I think we would be fine with E.J. Gaines, and T.J. Carrie as our starting CB's this year, especially with Mitchell, Calhoun, and Howard backing them up, so I take the best player on the board, giving me 5 players who were supposed to be first rounders in my first 5 picks.

114. Saquem Griffin LB. UCF - I thought this kid was one of the best players in the country and a steak in the 4th round.  We could use some depth at LB and he at the very least would be an amazing player to have in the locker room and a special teams kid, and at the best he could compete at LB.

150. Tavaris McFadden CB/S, FSU - I'll be honest I go value picks 4th round and later.  I saw him as an incredible player back in 2016 but got burnt in 2017.  He is good at press man and zone and I think it would be worth a shot to see if he could be a CB or backup Safety for us with Greg Williams system.

175. Equanimous St. Brown WR, ND - Again value picks here.  I think he was a project well worth a middle 5th round pick to try and bring competition to the group.  If he didn't work out it didn't kill us to take a shot here.

188. Deshon Elliot S, Texas - I thought he would end up going in the 3rd round.  I think we need some depth at the Free Safety position and I really liked watching this kid play in college.  Had we been sitting there in the middle of the 6th and he was still on the board I wouldn't be able to help but take him.

Not everyone here would have panned out I'm sure but I think the draft, especially after the 3rd round, is worth taking a risk on guys that fell for one reason or another.  If nothing else it would be exciting to see how things shake out.

1. QB Sam Darnold- Honestly if this were the only change from our real draft I would've given us a A+

4. CB Denzel Ward- Late in the process I solidifed my opinion on him he was my guy at 4

33. CB Isaiah Oliver - I would've loved to add length in conjunction with Ward's speed. Oliver I think is a future star 

35. RB Nick Chubb- Good with Chubb we wanted a back and hes a great athlete with AFC North mindset 

67. DE Arden Key- Boom or Bust pick if he played like he did in 2016 this could've been a steal 

105. WR Antonio Callaway - Good with this pick if Callaway or Gordon can play a full season we'll be in a great position 

150. LB Genard Avery - Didn't know anything about him but I'm good with it great athlete and seems to have a good demenaor  

175. WR Equanimeous St. Brown - No way I'm passing on him right here 

188. S Deshone Elliot - 3rd safety could potentially play some FS if Randall goes down 

Pick #1: QB Baker Mayfield - It was a toughie to decide here, I like Darnold a lot too. But as far as QB's since The Return, Mayfield is the first one I've been "all-in" on since Couch.

Pick #4: DE Bradley Chubb - I'll continue to pound my mantra, "You can never have enough pass rushers". I believed there was enough talent in the DB class to see one fall to us in the 2nd.

Pick #33: CB Isaiah Oliver - Still think he's a first round talent and already has some of the cover nuances you see if experienced NFL press-man corners. He was my #2 CB behind Ward.

Pick #35: WR Anthony Miller - Both Gordon and Coleman insurance. The type of competitor I want to pair with Mayfield for their careers.

Pick #67: OT Joseph Noteboom - After Brian O'Neill, this was my last moldable LT available that I believed in.

Pick #105: DT Maurice Hurst - I wouldn't have believed his talent, albeit with medical risk, would be still around at this point. This would've been my quickest dash to the podium.

Pick #150: LB Genard Avery - Loved this pick, his film is awesome and he seems to accommodate to everything his coaching staff asked of him.

Pick #175: RB John Kelly - North/South runner with excellent balance after contact. Love this guy's stiff arm. 

Pick #188: OG/C Tony Adams - Versatile interior blocker, started almost 4 full years and repeated as All-ACC in 2016-2017. Compact, powerful frame with wrestling experience.

Archived