NFC North 2018 Thread

Heinz D.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Gase was nothing special and should be noted for being more average than Trestman offensively, he was as predictable at times as Loggains was under Fox. In no way was his offense current or cutting edge.

His last year he ran over 75% of the time Jay was under center, but only about 30% while in shotgun. That was pathetic. I wanted him as a HC far more than Fox, but honestly I'm not sure he would have been much better for us.

While I agree with your overall sentiment(to a point) in that Gase was over-rated by both media and fans alike. Gase did/does have a modern offensive philosophy and what he did in his last year was phenomenal considering what he had to work with. Gase' offensive scheme - much like most modern offenses - relies alot on getting the ball out quick. And that all starts with having atleast one versatile back who can make plays in the pass game and Gase didn't have what he was expecting to have due to injuries and other factors(Forte) and yet he still made it work. 

That's also why he wasn't fretting over traded away Ajayi mid-season last year in MIA because his style wasn't fit to play two-ways and he knew that Drake was a better fit for his scheme beings that he was the better threat out of the backfield. (FYI -- kind of off-topic, Jordan is all but gone from this team for the same reason)

His play-calling may seem predictable now, as you pointing out (and again, I agree to an extent) but it was also circumstantial. Last season he ran the ball 63% of the time under center and 23% of the time in shotgun -- for the whole season -- and 61%/24% ratio after the trade. 

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

While I agree with your overall sentiment(to a point) in that Gase was over-rated by both media and fans alike. Gase did/does have a modern offensive philosophy and what he did in his last year was phenomenal considering what he had to work with. Gase' offensive scheme - much like most modern offenses - relies alot on getting the ball out quick. And that all starts with having atleast one versatile back who can make plays in the pass game and Gase didn't have what he was expecting to have due to injuries and other factors(Forte) and yet he still made it work. 

That's also why he wasn't fretting over traded away Ajayi mid-season last year in MIA because his style wasn't fit to play two-ways and he knew that Drake was a better fit for his scheme beings that he was the better threat out of the backfield. (FYI -- kind of off-topic, Jordan is all but gone from this team for the same reason)

His play-calling may seem predictable now, as you pointing out (and again, I agree to an extent) but it was also circumstantial. Last season he ran the ball 63% of the time under center and 23% of the time in shotgun -- for the whole season -- and 61%/24% ratio after the trade. 

I was talking about what he did with us only, I have no idea about his playcalling in Miami. The team hasn't interested me since before he waa hired there so I have only seen 2-3 games of theirs over the last 2 years, and it was always to watch the other team. 

7 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Tell me what? That the Packers offense wasn't the same without him? I agree but I have already broke down why though, in depth. 

No, this part: "Take Rodgers off that team and they’re a bottom 25% NFL roster IMO."

6 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I was talking about what he did with us only, I have no idea about his playcalling in Miami. The team hasn't interested me since before he waa hired there so I have only seen 2-3 games of theirs over the last 2 years, and it was always to watch the other team. 

Yeah I know, I was mainly just clarifying as to why some of his play-calling here may have seem predictable at the time.

1 hour ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Well that's all a matter of opinion.

It certainly is (seeing as it was my opinion). It was also supported by the results last year after Rodgers went down. In the name of objectivity though the same thing would happen to most teams losing their top line QB. None of that really matters though because he’s healthy now, and as long as he’s healthy there isn’t a team in the league they can’t beat on any given Sunday. 

22 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It certainly is (seeing as it was my opinion). It was also supported by the results last year after Rodgers went down. In the name of objectivity though the same thing would happen to most teams losing their top line QB. None of that really matters though because he’s healthy now, and as long as he’s healthy there isn’t a team in the league they can’t beat on any given Sunday. 

Ehhh...I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Hundley was bad. Not that that invalidates all of what you're saying, but he was definitely below league average for a backup quarterback, over all.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Ehhh...I'm not sure that's entirely accurate. Hundley was bad. Not that that invalidates all of what you're saying, but he was definitely below league average for a backup quarterback, over all.

9 TD and 12 INT in basically 10 games is about what I’d expect from a backup level QB. To me all Hundley showed was that he’s not a starter. He wasn’t AWFUL. That really emphasizes my point though. Without Rodgers the squad wasn’t able to carry a backup QB. They were... us. 

37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

9 TD and 12 INT in basically 10 games is about what I’d expect from a backup level QB. To me all Hundley showed was that he’s not a starter. He wasn’t AWFUL. That really emphasizes my point though. Without Rodgers the squad wasn’t able to carry a backup QB. They were... us. 

There were some games where he was awful, though. They'll probably end up better off with Kizer...but the whole thing is skewed, as the team's better overall now, IMO. Either way, we agree they weren't that great without Rodgers (and still wouldn't really be). 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

There were some games where he was awful, though. They'll probably end up better off with Kizer...but the whole thing is skewed, as the team's better overall now, IMO. Either way, we agree they weren't that great without Rodgers (and still wouldn't really be). 

Agreed. He completely sucked in about half his games.

He had 2 games with 3 TDs each. That was 66% of his production. Take that out and you have 3 TDs and 12 INTs over 8 games. Of course he deserves credit for those games, but that shows how terrible he was over the course of the season, outside of a pair of aberrations. And for context the two teams he did beat were the Steelers and Browns... One was winless and the other was so inconsistent Glennon beat them while barely passing for more than 100 yards.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, AZBearsFan said:

You also have to factor in just how much of the play-calling had to be adjusted on the fly mid-season (which was virtually across the board) to make up for the loss of Rodgers and the effect that it had on the offense as a whole. 

But as you said, None of it really matters now.

Cool thing is I think Minnesota is at its peak.  GB and Detroit are level or declining, but Bears are in ascendancy.

Hasn't been the case in a long time.  Other cool thing is Bears are built very young.  It something that could last 3-8 years when or if it hits.

On 5/21/2018 at 6:04 PM, AZBearsFan said:

The Packers won 3 games without Rodgers last season: Tampa Bay, Chicago and Cleveland. Those were bottom 5 teams last year (Chicago is debatable though). Without Rodgers, the Packers were a bottom 10 team who could barely beat bottom 5 teams. 

Now, they should be obviously better with Rodgers, along with a competent Tight End and corners that are worthy of making the 53 man roster, but that team looks more like a playoff team with all that added than a true SB level team.  Minnesota should still be the favorites to win the NFCN.

Right now, I expect the division to go:

Minnesota

Green Bay

Chicago

Detroit

The Bears should be much improved this year, but maybe not playoff material just yet. I see a roster and schedule that's good to go 8-8 or 9-7 with a lot of promise going forward. 

Archived