ATL signs DT Terrell McClain

Broncofan

DT is a weak position group for us. Jarrett is legit, Crawford flashed at times last season, Senat is a rookie and I'm not sure about any of the other DT's on the roster. Hence people expected the Falcons to double dip during the draft. Now that we didn't I'm happy TD is picking up some extra depth. McClain isn't an allstar but he should be better then a guy off the street.

59 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Can't name any signing recently that worked out for you guys when you tried to mooch off division rivals tbh.

You can pretty much add Scandrick to that list because he and Norman will be at each others' throats before the end of training camp. Can't wait. :D

50 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Terrell McClain is a much better fit for Atlanta's scheme than he was for Washington. Much better at 1-gapping and will have weight incentives in his contract.

Redskins typically ask their DL to one-gap.  McClain just wasn't good last year, man.  It's not even a 3-4 vs. 4-3 thing either.  We lined up in Nickel or Dime over 70% of the time, and he was still bad when in a 4-man front. 

He was ranked 120th best DL by PFF FWIW, with a 41.8 grade.

6 hours ago, atown703 said:

Never understood why ATL didn't resign Poe...

Money bro we didn't have enough for it he wanted 9+ mil and until we extended Ryan's contract we only had 2 mil left.  Even after signing Ryan we only went up to like 8 mil which still wasn't enough so the 4 mil a year from McClain is a easier thing for us to handle.   Also we have/had a TONNNN of guys coming up for new contracts in  Ryan, Grady, Beasley, Matthews, Neal, Coleman, Rico Allen and im missing 1 or 2 more probably.  Their all going to want bigger contracts from their rookie deals and we need to resign as many of them as possible.  All but Coleman are probably locks we are gonna try to resign and all are younger than Poe.

Now with that said people are acting like just because Mcclain had 1 down year last year on a brand new team he is trash but just the year before in 2016 him, poe, and Bennie Logan were all right there together in the top 30 DT's in the league.   Poe was 25th, McClain was 29th, and Bennie i think was 30th or 31st according to PFF.     McClain is a very solid player and was for Dallas so for 4 mil he is worth giving a try for 1 year just to see if he wasn't a fit for the Skins which is a possiblity.

23 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

DT is a weak position group for us. Jarrett is legit, Crawford flashed at times last season, Senat is a rookie and I'm not sure about any of the other DT's on the roster. Hence people expected the Falcons to double dip during the draft. Now that we didn't I'm happy TD is picking up some extra depth. McClain isn't an allstar but he should be better then a guy off the street.

we also brought shelby back, he'll play some dt as well. 

On 5/11/2018 at 8:32 PM, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Redskins typically ask their DL to one-gap.  McClain just wasn't good last year, man.  It's not even a 3-4 vs. 4-3 thing either.  We lined up in Nickel or Dime over 70% of the time, and he was still bad when in a 4-man front. 

He was ranked 120th best DL by PFF FWIW, with a 41.8 grade.

Sure. But I'm going to trust the Falcons braintrust on this one. They seem to understand what works for Dan Quinn on the defensive line.

Archived