All-Inclusive OTA's Thread

45 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Wouldn’t we be better off having good players more so than compensation picks? Maybe I’m crazy but the obsession with draft picks is getting out of hand. Let’s let all of our good players go because we might potentially hit on another draft pick...or ya know, we could let Crowder walk and end up with another Matt Jones type pick. 

Is Jamison Crowder worth a 5 year/$40M contract? Maybe. Should the Redskins be the ones to pay it? I dunno if that's wise.

It's the way the modern NFL is crafted: free agency contracts are generally mistakes (rare is it to see a vet finish their major bump up contract a la Garcon). Draft picks and controlling the cap is how to build the modern roster.

35 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Wouldn’t we be better off having good players more so than compensation picks? Maybe I’m crazy but the obsession with draft picks is getting out of hand. Let’s let all of our good players go because we might potentially hit on another draft pick...or ya know, we could let Crowder walk and end up with another Matt Jones type pick. 

At what cost to keep him? That's the real question.

It's more about the size of contract that Crowder will likely be seeking when the time comes. They are predicting Crowder's demands will far outweigh his production or team need... and that's the smart guess. Smart to bring in youth now.. that can learn the playbook.. and be ready to step in for replaceable vets that expect fat contracts. Just have to wisely pick and choose which guys are worthy of keeping at top dollar. 

I dont think its about Crowders production as much as Doctsons. He has to step up this year. Is Doctson worth the 5th year option right now? I don't believe so, though I hope he proves me wrong. Between Robert Davis, Quinn and Harris somebody is getting knocked out of starting lineup sometime this year I bet. I don't think Quinn is just a slot, he is 6 foot tall. But we'll see what happens 

I don’t know if they were specifically looking to replace Crowder or Doctson with the last pick in the draft. I do know that with Alex Smith the need to have 3 WRs (Crowder, PRich, Doctson) on big contracts just won’t be there. Than you add in Reed’s deal to the mix that’s just plain a lot of money on pass catchers. Never really thought about it but yea I can see Crowder moving on. 

It all depends on what Quinn does. I think Redskins fans everywhere are putting the cart before the horse on this one. I’d love for Quinn to be able to replace Crowder but it’s too early to tell if that will happen. I do agree though that Crowder would be the one to go if they like Quinn. Crowder is going to have to have one heck of a year for the front office to think they need to keep him.

As bigdog44 said, you also have to consider what’s going to happen with Reed. Reed could be the one out after this year and then they’d re-sign Crowder and draft a TE high.

On Quinn- yeah I’d love a guy to talk tough and hope he backs it up. But you know what? I understand this so well. Is Quinn kind of our new D Hall? My thinking is #stfu and show us what you can do to help us win.

i like the kid, but he really does need to shut the blank up and just play. 

Yeah I’m old school, don’t talk how good you think you are, show us. 

6 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

On Quinn- yeah I’d love a guy to talk tough and hope he backs it up. But you know what? I understand this so well. Is Quinn kind of our new D Hall? My thinking is #stfu and show us what you can do to help us win.

i like the kid, but he really does need to shut the blank up and just play. 

Yeah I’m old school, don’t talk how good you think you are, show us. 

Well, this doesn't seem fair. Dude was asked a question, and had the good sense to respond to the question with confidence of himself. 

He will show us if that inner confidence was well placed as the offseason unfolds. 

If there was a guy currently on the team that answers with, "no, I doubt I'll make the team, but I will try!" I'd say cut him loose now. :P 

7 hours ago, turtle28 said:

It all depends on what Quinn does. I think Redskins fans everywhere are putting the cart before the horse on this one. I’d love for Quinn to be able to replace Crowder but it’s too early to tell if that will happen. I do agree though that Crowder would be the one to go if they like Quinn. Crowder is going to have to have one heck of a year for the front office to think they need to keep him.

As bigdog44 said, you also have to consider what’s going to happen with Reed. Reed could be the one out after this year and then they’d re-sign Crowder and draft a TE high.

Looking silver linings, there are two possible outcomes that can happen with Reed, and they will be made as clear as clear can get

He plays amazingly well in 2018 to earn a roster spot in 2019 at 9.7 mil cap cost... or he sucks/isn't useful enough, and gets cut loose in 2019 for a 6 mil cap gain. 

15 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Well, this doesn't seem fair. Dude was asked a question, and had the good sense to respond to the question with confidence of himself. 

He will show us if that inner confidence was well placed as the offseason unfolds. 

If there was a guy currently on the team that answers with, "no, I doubt I'll make the team, but I will try!" I'd say cut him loose now. :P 

You know what, you’re right.

.questiin asked, question answered, now go to work 

this team and  wizards have for years talked about how good they are, give themselves nicknames like when our bottom 5 defense stated the season calling themselves National Defense. Several games into the season they folded faster than Zanzibar did to the British. 

9 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

You know what, you’re right.

.questiin asked, question answered, now go to work 

this team and  wizards have for years talked about how good they are, give themselves nicknames like when our bottom 5 defense stated the season calling themselves National Defense. Several games into the season they folded faster than Zanzibar did to the British. 

That was only Terrance “I ate too much Potroast” Knighton. He named the defensive line “Capital Punishment” before the season in 2015. That was all on him, not anyone else.

The last time I remember the Redskins defense having a nickname that stuck was in the last super bowl year of 91-92 when they were the “Capital Defense.”

On 5/12/2018 at 11:26 PM, Eric said:

I dont think its about Crowders production as much as Doctsons. He has to step up this year. Is Doctson worth the 5th year option right now? I don't believe so, though I hope he proves me wrong.

The 2015 class 5th year option for non-top 10 wide receivers (*) cost teams $9.387M. DeVante Parker and Nelson Agholor had their options picked up (by Miami and Philadelphia, respectively), while Breshad Perriman (Baltimore) and Phillip Dorsett (New England, who acquired Dorsett via trade for Jacoby Brissett with Indianapolis) had theirs declined.

For what it's worth, the Raiders not surprisingly picked up the 5th year option for Amari Cooper at $13.924M, while the Bears also not surprisingly declined it for Kevin White. Both of those gentlemen had a higher amount due to the fact they were picked in the top ten of the draft.

So, let's throw a little inflation into the mix and call it an even $10M to get Doctson's 5th year. Paul Richardson's cap numbers are $4M, $7.5M, $8.5M, $10M, and $10M. So, it would be expensive but in line with what the market would be paying.

If Doctson doesn't come through, then they might shift those dollars over to Crowder.

(*) Geez, that's a correct but awkward construction.

Archived