Teams to change 'location' names?

I could potentially envision the Seattle Mariners becoming the Cascadia Mariners. (Especially if Portland never lands an MLB Team). The Mariners TV market stretches from Alaska, Down British Columbia through Washington and Oregon and over into Idaho - Montana as well.  

On 14/05/2018 at 4:13 AM, PARROTHEAD said:

Being a Redskins fan. Id love the name to change to "Powhatan".  Dropping the Washington bit and representing the Powhatan tribal region which DC is in.

now natch i don't know the extent to which that whole skins name thing is an issue

but while i see why it's a cool tribute i also imagine that has some

um

implications, no?

9 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

now natch i don't know the extent to which that whole skins name thing is an issue

but while i see why it's a cool tribute i also imagine that has some

um

implications, no?

The Powhatan Nation were the Redskins. No other nation. Its like asking the Japanese what North Korea should be referred to otherwise.

The Powhatan Nation loves the Redskins name, doesnt want it to change. Because its theirs and depicting no other native nation.  And the name doesnt refer to their natural skin tone. The settlers called them "The Red Skinned People" because they first landed in a swampland area, and the Powhatan used a red clay mixture to cover their bodies as mosquito repellent.

So I feel it would bring proper, dedicated meaning if Washington was dropped. And truly honor whom is meant to be honored. Cause i can see with a generalized name like Washington with the Redskins name having other tribes being offended, thinking its meaning them, cause they were a little more on the red toned side, when the Powhatans were naturally brown.

15 hours ago, PARROTHEAD said:

The Powhatan Nation were the Redskins. No other nation. Its like asking the Japanese what North Korea should be referred to otherwise.

The Powhatan Nation loves the Redskins name, doesnt want it to change. Because its theirs and depicting no other native nation.  And the name doesnt refer to their natural skin tone. The settlers called them "The Red Skinned People" because they first landed in a swampland area, and the Powhatan used a red clay mixture to cover their bodies as mosquito repellent.

So I feel it would bring proper, dedicated meaning if Washington was dropped. And truly honor whom is meant to be honored. Cause i can see with a generalized name like Washington with the Redskins name having other tribes being offended, thinking its meaning them, cause they were a little more on the red toned side, when the Powhatans were naturally brown.

cheers for the history lesson, again given i'm not american i don't know the full story, tbh that's actually pretty cool

update: heh this was the 69000th post in this subforum nice

Archived