Camp Battles

MacReady

Which ones are you looking most forward to watching?

QB - Incumbent backup Bubblegum Hundley battles Deshone Zero Win Kizer.

RB - Is Ty 10 Snaps Montgomery in danger of losing his starting role?  Is Aaron Jones going to prove he deserves the starting spot?  Is Jamaal Williams the most well-rounded, and thus most capable of being the starter?  Will Mays or somebody else put it together? 

TE - Will Kendricks win the second spot by default and lack of any competition? 

WR - Adams, then Cobb, then who?  Allison, Davis, Clark, Pearson, Kumerow, Moore, ESB, MVS, Yancey? 

RT - Bulaga will likely start the season injured, so who takes his spot?  Madison?  Murphy?  Will Spriggs be healthy enough (or good enough)? 

G - Will we sign Evans back, or will McCray, Patrick, Pankey?  Madison?  Amichia?  Taylor has the left side, who has the right? 

DL - You've got Clark, Daniels and Wilkerson.  Then you've got Looney, Lowry and Adams. 

ILB - Martinez figures to be on the field most here.  Who battles for 1st, 2nd, 3rd down snaps?  Does Ryan have the edge in this competition due to inexperience?  Will Burks do enough to take 1st/2nd down snaps from Ryan, or will he be a passing situation substitute?  Will Jones continue working in this role? 

EDGE - Matthews and Perry.  Both have durability concerns.  Who steps in during those scenarios?  Does Fackrell decide to give a Fack?  Is Biegel ready to turn heads?  Odom?  Gilbert?  Veteran insurance? 

CB - This position was handed to players in recent years due to default and no better options.  Now it seems every role is up for grabs.  Who is the odd man out of the starting (or semi-starting) lineup?  King, House, Alexander, Jackson and Williams figure to fight for two boundary roles.  Which of the losers work best in the nickel?   Who makes the roster out of Brown, Goodson, Hawkins, Pipkins, Rollins, Waters?

S - Clinton-Dix and Josh Jones.  Who takes the backup spots, or does one of the backups perform well enough to start?  Evans, Brice, Whitehead.  Does one of our corners get looks at safety? 

I’m real interested in the time share between Jones and Williams. Both showed the capability to be very good starting RBs, and they compliment each other so well. I hope Mac substitutes them in regularly to keep them both healthy and fresh. 

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Which ones are you looking most forward to watching?

QB - Incumbent backup Bubblegum Hundley battles Deshone Zero Win Kizer.  Kizer wins back up and we go with 2 QB's. 

RB - Is Ty 10 Snaps Montgomery in danger of losing his starting role?  Is Aaron Jones going to prove he deserves the starting spot?  Is Jamaal Williams the most well-rounded, and thus most capable of being the starter?  Will Mays or somebody else put it together? Montgomery is only a 3rd down back if his blitz pick up improves. I see Jones and Williams being the primary running threats. I think Mayes is a long shot to make team unless there is some sort change in philosophy and we don't keep a FB

TE - Will Kendricks win the second spot by default and lack of any competition? Yes

WR - Adams, then Cobb, then who?  Allison, Davis, Clark, Pearson, Kumerow, Moore, ESB, MVS, Yancey? Clark, Davis, Yancey, Moore (I have no idea)

RT - Bulaga will likely start the season injured, so who takes his spot?  Madison?  Murphy?  Will Spriggs be healthy enough (or good enough)? I thought Bulaga was good to go for start of year? If not, I think it's Spriggs. 

G - Will we sign Evans back, or will McCray, Patrick, Pankey?  Madison?  Amichia?  Taylor has the left side, who has the right? No to Evans we roll with what we have. I think McCray is the starter opposite Taylor. 

DL - You've got Clark, Daniels and Wilkerson.  Then you've got Looney, Lowry and Adams. Question is 5 or 6. We've got the best group we've had since 2009. Only six if Looney plays his way on the team. 

ILB - Martinez figures to be on the field most here.  Who battles for 1st, 2nd, 3rd down snaps?  Does Ryan have the edge in this competition due to inexperience?  Will Burks do enough to take 1st/2nd down snaps from Ryan, or will he be a passing situation substitute?  Will Jones continue working in this role? This depends entirely on if someone steps up at outside LB. I think they would like Matthews inside more, but not without a clear answer outside. I'd guess Ryan on first down and Burks may get some snaps in nickle, perhaps dime. 

EDGE - Matthews and Perry.  Both have durability concerns.  Who steps in during those scenarios?  Does Fackrell decide to give a Fack?  Is Biegel ready to turn heads?  Odom?  Gilbert?  Veteran insurance? See above, I think they are really counting on Gilbert and Biegel. Fackrell would be better inside too, but I don't see it happening. I vet here makes sense. 

CB - This position was handed to players in recent years due to default and no better options.  Now it seems every role is up for grabs.  Who is the odd man out of the starting (or semi-starting) lineup?  King, House, Alexander, Jackson and Williams figure to fight for two boundary roles.  Which of the losers work best in the nickel?   Who makes the roster out of Brown, Goodson, Hawkins, Pipkins, Rollins, Waters? Pipkins makes it and Waters maybe but he has to beat our Williams or House. I think Alexander starts week 1. 

S - Clinton-Dix and Josh Jones.  Who takes the backup spots, or does one of the backups perform well enough to start?  Evans, Brice, Whitehead.  Does one of our corners get looks at safety? I don't discount Brice, but believe Jones is going to make a major 2nd year leap. 

My two cents are in red. The only thing that is not addressed is the UDFA's who will undoubtedly be heard from as well. 

1 minute ago, Gopackgonerd said:

WR and CB will be fun to watch since it's where we have the most additions. Also interested to see who comes out of the woodworks and shows something behind Clay and Perry. 

Hopefully Robert Ayers lol

6 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

How do you think the position is going to turn out? 

I'm very worried about King's shoulder, but if it's healthy he should be perimeter CB #1. Perimeter CB #2 will start out with Williams, but Jackson takes over by the end of the season. House is top perimeter reserve. Alexander to the slot CB position and starts from day 1. Pipkins top backup at slot CB. Waters either makes the team as # 7 CB, or goes to PS for another year. Hard to say how the injury has hurt his development. 

17 hours ago, Rodjahs12 said:

If I had to guess 

CB1-King

CB2-Williams 

slot-Alexander

CB4-House

CB5-Jackson

Cb6-Pipkins

Sounds right to me, but I think they somehow get Rollins onto this roster; maybe a move to Safety? I want to see more of Pipkins however; he proved to be fairly reliable down the stretch and he's coming into camp with a massive chip on his shoulder.

17 hours ago, pollino14 said:

I’m real interested in the time share between Jones and Williams. Both showed the capability to be very good starting RBs, and they compliment each other so well. I hope Mac substitutes them in regularly to keep them both healthy and fresh. 

I agree. I seriously think they'll wind up being the starters and Monty will have a rather undefined position in the offense.

28 minutes ago, Joe said:

Sounds right to me, but I think they somehow get Rollins onto this roster; maybe a move to Safety? I want to see more of Pipkins however; he proved to be fairly reliable down the stretch and he's coming into camp with a massive chip on his shoulder.

Serious question Joe! What has Rollins done, other than being a second round pick, to give you any confidence he can play at the NFL level? BTW, this isn't a Randall type situation where we tried to move a safety to CB either. He's only played CB, and not very well, so a move to safety will require a learning curve a 4th year player on the last year of his rookie contract doesn't maybe deserve. 

I'll just say, I'll be shocked if he makes the team. 

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Serious question Joe! What has Rollins done, other than being a second round pick, to give you any confidence he can play at the NFL level? BTW, this isn't a Randall type situation where we tried to move a safety to CB either. He's only played CB, and not very well, so a move to safety will require a learning curve a 4th year player on the last year of his rookie contract doesn't maybe deserve. 

I'll just say, I'll be shocked if he makes the team. 

He had a great rookie year until he got injured and that's been the case. If he gets hurt in TC, I'm sure he'll be cut. He's reliable in the slot when he's healthy.

Archived