Camp Battles

MacReady

On 5/15/2018 at 9:37 AM, vegas492 said:

Internet gentleman's wager...I'll take McCray at RG and Madison at RT.  

mmm. Pretty sure Madison was drafted to address a future need inside rather than outside. He's got significant experience in Mike Leach's pseudo-ZBS and he doesn't have the anchor to play Tackle in pass-pro.

16 hours ago, jleisher said:

Week 10 could be Bulaga (RG) and Madison at (RT)?  Don't be surprised if Spriggs isn't let go if he has a lackluster mini camp.

It all depends on if Springs fixed that inside move, would go a long way for me. If he hasn't, he's cut immediately.

13 hours ago, HyponGrey said:

It all depends on if Springs fixed that inside move, would go a long way for me. If he hasn't, he's cut immediately.

I'm willing to give Spriggs the benefit of the doubt.  He was an absolute liability preseason and before going on IR.  But he wasn't bad when he returned from the IR.  He could have been trying to play through some stuff and just wasn't able.  Unless someone else really steps it up, keep him around until his contract is up.

7 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I'm willing to give Spriggs the benefit of the doubt.  He was an absolute liability preseason and before going on IR.  But he wasn't bad when he returned from the IR.  He could have been trying to play through some stuff and just wasn't able.  Unless someone else really steps it up, keep him around until his contract is up.

I agree. Let Spriggs prove he can't do it. If he can't hold down RT until Bulaga returns, then move on to Murphy. Meanwhile Murphy battles it out with Patrick, McCray, Madison, and the rest for RG. My feeling is McCray's highest value to the team is the utility role. Just like a utility infielder in baseball, jack of all trades, master of none, but therein lies the value.

On 5/16/2018 at 8:47 AM, Joe said:

mmm. Pretty sure Madison was drafted to address a future need inside rather than outside. He's got significant experience in Mike Leach's pseudo-ZBS and he doesn't have the anchor to play Tackle in pass-pro.

Same was said about Mark Tauscher.  Kid reminds me of him, big, doughy, great feet and balance.

That and...I heard that at mini camp, the first reps he took were at RT....   

On 5/15/2018 at 5:14 PM, jleisher said:

Week 10 could be Bulaga (RG) and Madison at (RT)?  Don't be surprised if Spriggs isn't let go if he has a lackluster mini camp.

I can't recall being so down on a young kid as I am on Spriggs.  I had such high hopes for him.  Even when he came back last year, I didn't see the "jump" that others saw.  Big year for him and I've written him off already.  Hope he proves me wrong.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I can't recall being so down on a young kid as I am on Spriggs.  I had such high hopes for him.  Even when he came back last year, I didn't see the "jump" that others saw.  Big year for him and I've written him off already.  Hope he proves me wrong.

His pro arc is very similar to D Adams first two years.  Injuries and trying to play through injuries totally skewed his perceived progress. Hang tight.  Spriggs' upside was enough to get TT to trade up for him, that in itself is earth shattering.  If Spriggs is healthy he will be fine.  He is very athletic for a OL.

23 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

His pro arc is very similar to D Adams first two years.  Injuries and trying to play through injuries totally skewed his perceived progress. Hang tight.  Spriggs' upside was enough to get TT to trade up for him, that in itself is earth shattering.  If Spriggs is healthy he will be fine.  He is very athletic for a OL.

I wish I had your optimism concerning him!

Sadly, that has faded for me.  I no longer view him as an athletic offensive lineman.  I view him as an athlete who is not a quality lineman.  Meaning...he tested better than he will ever play.

Even Murphy beat him out for the swing tackle position last year..even at LT where Spriggs was supposed to be the superior athlete.  

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

IMO Adams was a SUBSTANTIALLY better player as a rookie.  Spriggs has struggled for damn near the entirety of his NFL career. 

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:26 PM, packfanfb said:

When I hear "Rollins" and "slot" in the same sentence I just direct people to the Dallas game and his coverage against Beasley. Ranks up there with the worst I've ever seen. Please no Rollins in the slot. 

Thought about that too.  I've watched that game twice in the last week.  Rollins was terrible in the game and he was perfectly healthy.  He had his moments as a rookie but he's been pretty much a train wreck since then. 

You mean D Sherrod?

21 minutes ago, SSG said:

IMO Adams was a SUBSTANTIALLY better player as a rookie.  Spriggs has struggled for damn near the entirety of his NFL career. 

Well, in 12 of 16 regular season games in Adams rookie year he had 2 or less catches.  He did have a big game in the playoffs vs Dallas.  When an OL does his job there aren't stats to really show it.  Spriggs 'entirety' career is two seasons.

I'm sorry, I know my optimism offends you.

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Well, in 12 of 16 regular season games in Adams rookie year he had 2 or less catches.  He did have a big game in the playoffs vs Dallas.  When an OL does his job there aren't stats to really show it.  Spriggs 'entirety' career is two seasons.

I haven't given up on Spriggs and hope he wins the RT job outright. I don't see the similarity you seem to, but would be thrilled if he had a third year comparable to Adams third year. Although, that surely would become an issue with the contract a RT at that level would cause. That would be a good problem to have, I'll leave it at that.  

You are mistaken.  I've got no issues with rainbows and butterflies opinions.  If you can't fathom of having a pessimistic opinion about a player, no worries.  I'd imagine it is easier to view every Packer as the best at everything.  No need to apologize for watching the games through extreme Green and Gold glasses.  Nothing wrong with thinking the Green Bay Packers don't have a flaw on the roster :)

I  wasn't aware that there were fans whom thought Adams had a bad, wasted rookie year.

Archived