Camp Battles

MacReady

On 5/18/2018 at 10:08 PM, HighCalebR said:

Campen can make the most out of guys like Lane with a few years. Spriggs is an athletic specimen that really didn't have much else going at Indiana. He's been seeing much better athletes and moves then he ever caught wind of being a Hoosier. I'll give the benefit of doubt to the Coach for the first two years. Lots of clay to work with yet.

I'm not really buying this.

Kid played at Indiana for like 3 years.  Big 10.  

2012 he played against...Indiana State, UMass, Ball State, Northwestern, Michigan State, Ohio State, Navy, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State and Purdue.

2013 he played against...Indiana State, Navy, Bowling Green, Missouri, Penn State, Michigan State, Michigan, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Purdue.

2014 he played against...Indiana State, Bowling Green, Missouri, Maryland, North Texas, Iowa, Michigan State, Michigan, Penn State, Rutgers, Ohio State and Purdue.

I think he played against a very good level of competition there.  Just like Bulaga did.  Dan Feeney was a highly rated guard, went third round in 2017.  From Indiana.  Jordan Howard was from Indiana.  Tevin Coleman.  Rodgers Saffold.  Some good players come from Indiana, and they play good competition.

That isn't what is wrong with him.  I'm not sure what is...I know this...Lane Taylor worked his tail off to get to where he is....  Hopefully Jason works his tail off too.

40 minutes ago, Joe said:

Spriggs has been rather injury prone. That's his biggest problem. Injuries delay and can negate improvement and success on the field...

I agree with that.  And his injuries have happened at unfortunate times that have delayed that growth in the years where growth is most apparent.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm not really buying this.

Kid played at Indiana for like 3 years.  Big 10.  

That isn't what is wrong with him.  I'm not sure what is...I know this...Lane Taylor worked his tail off to get to where he is....  Hopefully Jason works his tail off too.

Mans gonna make me go back and watch Spriggs cut ups.. 

Well OSU isn't up anymore, but I'm almost 100 Bosa flipped most of the game. He played Shilique at MSU... but he's done largely nothing in the NFL and he had a good battle with him. Until his draft year the BIG wasn't putting out spectacular EDGE talent. For real look at that list of games he played and point out the legit guys who could get after the QB he faced.. There's like 3 legit college rushers there. The deeper Mizzou EDGE squad made him look a little silly a few times. This was a freshly neutered Penn State and Mich pre Harbaugh. He didn't face a lot of NFL CalebR (ooooh) talent while at IU. Listing his line mates and the guy running behind him really don't have much bearing to how he played, just the overall talent of that particular squad. Some good players have come from DIII too.. do they play great competition? 

Jason lived off his athleticism and a strong run game/1 read-run QB behind him. Buy what you want but he was drafted based on his athleticism, and had a long ways to go with technique.  (In College) Some of his zone blocks are great on what he reached. He saw the 2nd level plenty as a power guy. This means that he isn't just athletic, he knows how to use it. What he doesn't do well; sit down in pro and hand fight (he lets dudes get to his cheese, you want to keep your cheese especially at 6'6"), doesn't mirror or place hands with consistency (when he does these things he looks gooooood, inconsistent is bad mmmkay?), if he doesn't lock you up on first punch he's beat (at the collegiate level he could regain because the guys he's facing don't close fast enough).

He was going to take some time all along, most people knew this. He needed to gain some strength and maybe a little girth, and needed work on his pass pro more than anything. (yeah I know, only 2 sacks allowed! Schlauderoff didn't allow any.. who? amirite?) If Mac is to be believed at all he seems to like where he was at at the end of the year. So, again, I'll give the coaches some more time with him. You don't come across lean, long, athletic 300# guys all too often. 

They all have to work their tail off man, it's the NFL. If they don't they bounce. Spriggs was worthy of that pick if he works out or not. Shoot your shot. It'd look a whole lot better on us if he did pan though. Everything he needed work on was something one coach or another could help him with.

McCray is going to surprise a whole lot of people this year. I think he's going to make a major leap in year two and become entrenched at RG. His improvement over last year was one of the bright spots IMO. 

24 minutes ago, Golfman said:

McCray is going to surprise a whole lot of people this year. I think he's going to make a major leap in year two and become entrenched at RG. His improvement over last year was one of the bright spots IMO. 

He went from God awful against nobodies in preseason to serviceable at the year's end out of nowhere.

44 minutes ago, HyponGrey said:

He went from God awful against nobodies in preseason to serviceable at the year's end out of nowhere.

Heck of an ascent.  In one year we have complained about how he made the team, to debating whether he is going to start, or be the super-sub, and mostly optimistic about that.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Now that's a beard

636633890474306176-MJS-packers01-15-hoff

Actually.....at this stage of his rehab, that beard is therapeutic and recommended. It affords front/forward ballast and weight to offset the instability and lack of backside support / balance his injury causes. Now - if his rehab goes as expected (and hoped) he'll be able to lessen that ballast (read: shave the beard) because his achilles will be providing the strength and balance of a normal/healthy one.

Bet you didnt know that :)

• 2 weeks later...

packers.com has an article up on OL Lucas Patrick (another Packer with two first names)

He worked out at ADAPT in Oregon this offseason:

https://www.packers.com/news/lucas-patrick-eager-to-make-his-cinderella-story-last

"The regimen at ADAPT is different than most offseason training facilities geared toward offensive linemen. Instead of focusing on weight training and pure strength, Patrick concentrated on flexibility, mobility and strengthening his hips.

By the time he returned to Green Bay for the Packers’ offseason program, Patrick said he was squatting the best he has his entire life. He believes it’s helped him stay low and gain leverage during spring practices.

“I’m already a wide-bodied frame,” Patrick said. “I don’t need to go in and bulk up as much. I carry a lot naturally. So that’s why I go in there and it’s flexibility and mobility because that’s where I struggle. That’s kind of what a typical lineman might struggle with.”

The mobility thing is what Jahri Evans struggled with at his advanced age and may be part of the decision-making process around going with McCray. As far as Patrick goes, he'd be an ideal IOL candidate on Sundays and he's already gotten some experience at all 3 spots.

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2018 at 5:15 AM, VegasDan said:

There is a simple rule, if its within the 10, let it go. Beyond the 10, don't let it hit the ground. It seems to me, Davis violated this rule multiple times, sometimes in the same game. Maybe they are telling him a different rule, but if not, he isn't very good at following directions.

Davis has very impressive physical gifts and great hands. On paper he looks special. He has had great QBs in college and now in GB. I cant figure out why he has never clicked as a WR.

I think maybe the punt return flubs and lack of Wr production are related to a root cause. Maybe he just isn't football smart to learn and follow directions or patterns/plays.

No such rule exists, except in the minds of some fans.

MM and Zook talked about it in some detail during a presser last year. With the new style of Aussie punting, the coaches moved the line back, sometimes within the 5 yard line. They also give consideration to the time of day, opponent, field conditions, score, wind direction, coverage team for the opponent, hang time and  other variables. They may make one choice in Quarters 1, 3 and a different choice in quarters 2, 4.

So when fans rip on Davis, they are often doing it from an uninformed point of view. If you stop and think about it - that flexibility makes a lot more sense than a single universal rule. One more component is if the punt does hit the ground, one of the ST guys will often yell a code word telling everybody to stay away - including the PR.

And sometimes they tell the KR/PR ahead of time exactly what to do no matter what. Its clear that Davis had some PR whiffs last season, but the fulcrum you're using to flog the guy just isn't how it works in the modern NFL.

As far as camp battles, it seems like it will be Davis vs MVS in the PR role, but I'm sure GB will trot out some others as they have in years past

1 hour ago, Shanedorf said:

No such rule exists, except in the minds of some fans.

MM and Zook talked about it in some detail during a presser last year. With the new style of Aussie punting, the coaches moved the line back, sometimes within the 5 yard line. They also give consideration to the time of day, opponent, field conditions, score, wind direction, coverage team for the opponent, hang time and  other variables. They may make one choice in Quarters 1, 3 and a different choice in quarters 2, 4.

So when fans rip on Davis, they are often doing it from an uninformed point of view. If you stop and think about it - that flexibility makes a lot more sense than a single universal rule. One more component is if the punt does hit the ground, one of the ST guys will often yell a code word telling everybody to stay away - including the PR.

And sometimes they tell the KR/PR ahead of time exactly what to do no matter what. Its clear that Davis had some PR whiffs last season, but the fulcrum you're using to flog the guy just isn't how it works in the modern NFL.

As far as camp battles, it seems like it will be Davis vs MVS in the PR role, but I'm sure GB will trot out some others as they have in years past

Not to mention with how anemic the offense was through most of the year it made sense to try to get big plays returning punts than having the ball at the 20. I don't understand the hate for Davis as a PR. 

Archived