Eli Manning on trial for fake memorabilia scam

WheatieMan

Committing fraud on your fans is a real scumbag move. That it's widespread doesn't make it any less of a scumbag move... It just means that there are lots of scumbags.

However, to be perfectly smug, I've always been of the opinion that people really shouldn't be purchasing things if they have no connection to them. I don't think I'd ever pay for an autograph or piece of "game used" equipment.

11 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Good thing James Harrison retired or he might get suspended for this.

He is being forced into reinstatement after Goodell finds that Manning faked his retirement papers for a quick $20. Must serve 10 game ban before retiring.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:54 AM, Broncofan said:

The real Q is whether Brady was generally aware or not.   10 games coming if he was.

Word on the street is that Brady is actually Manning's equipment manager!

(Needed the money since he's taking a paycut from NE)

On 5/17/2018 at 1:52 AM, #39 Fan said:

what a scumbag. 

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/04/giants_eli_manning_named_one_of_the_top_philanthro.html

Eli is one of the most generous players in the NFL and won the Walter Payton man of the year award a few years ago for his many charitable deeds, primarily for building and supporting children’s hospitals.  If he’s a scumbag, what does that make you and I? 

maybe there's more demands for charity auction donations in NYC than most other cities see

well-heeled self congratulators probably donate the items to a Goodwill store after they win them

I'd want to know more before passing judgment; maybe Skiba is some friend from back in the old neighbourhood and Eli was helping him pay the bills

15 hours ago, Gmen said:

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/04/giants_eli_manning_named_one_of_the_top_philanthro.html

Eli is one of the most generous players in the NFL and won the Walter Payton man of the year award a few years ago for his many charitable deeds, primarily for building and supporting children’s hospitals.  If he’s a scumbag, what does that make you and I? 

A rich person giving away money they would have never spent anyways means nothing.

Eli still faked this game worn memorabilia to make money off of fans, the fact that the NFL doesn't suspend him after suspending so many other people over allegations is a joke imo,

On 5/19/2018 at 5:04 PM, Gmen said:

Harvey Weinstein is (was) known for being an incredible philanthropist. Just as an example. He's also a total scumbag.

* BTW, I'm obviously not saying comparing their scumbaggery is comparable.

20 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

A rich person giving away money they would have never spent anyways means nothing.

Eli still faked this game worn memorabilia to make money off of fans, the fact that the NFL doesn't suspend him after suspending so many other people over allegations is a joke imo,

Wait.. so he has more money than he can give away, yet he’s scamming fans for a couple hundred bucks?  Something doesn’t add up here.  But if Eli was selling fake gear to Bubba from the Bronx to support children’s hospitals, well.. I’m actually perfectly okay with that.

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

Wait.. so he has more money than he can give away, yet he’s scamming fans for a couple hundred bucks?  Something doesn’t add up here.  But if Eli was selling fake gear to Bubba from the Bronx to support children’s hospitals, well.. I’m actually perfectly okay with that.

Iirc when the news first broke, it's that he wanted to keep the actual game-worn gear out of sentiment and/or he did not have enough gear he was willing to part with to give to the memorabilia dealer as per their contract, which is why he had the fake "game worn gear" fabricated.

It's definitely not a matter of Eli wanting to "scam" someone out of a couple hundred dollars. He merely didn't want to or couldn't give up what he was supposed to give up. The more responsible move would be to simply breach the contract (which isn't a crime, but would probably carry its own monetary penalty), but he chose to fake it instead.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

lol

How am I wrong? How many of the users on this forum see the bottom of their bank account occasionally, or would if they bought everything they wanted?

Eli Manning will never see the bottom of his bank account, so if he donates money, that doesn't come out of his funds for his wants or needs.

If I wanted to donate $1000 to a child's hospital this month, I could maybe do it, but it would take away all my discretionary income and savings and some of my grocery money this month to do it. When Eli donates money, he doesn't change his spending in any other way because it means nothing to him.

Archived