Day 3 Draft Picks

WindyCity

2 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

those women were the only good thing about trestman, don't you dare talk about them like them

I'm not bashing them at all, they grew up beautiful without a male figure in the household. 

Though I have no idea what the hell the bolded part means my man.... lol

I like our day 3 picks.

Iggy has upside as a starting "Mike" ILB after Trevathan departs and could be a ST terror 'til then.  He's nearly as fast as Smith.

Nichols is a great 5 tech DE type with size power and athleticism.  He should get a decent number of snaps this year.

Fitts has all the tools you look for but is he another "brittle" type like White?  Had third round grade so worth a shot in round six.

Wims is White's Grim Reaper.  If White can't step up Wims will replace him before the year is out.

We need guys like this making the team.  Biggest problem from previous era was too many misses in middle and late rounds.

3 hours ago, soulman said:

Biggest problem from previous era was too many misses in middle and late rounds.

I disagree about it being our biggest problem. The bigger problem to me by far has been the lack of impact players (high end starters, not just starters) from the guys at the top of the draft where you’re counting on that from them. It’s expected that Roquan becomes a 10-year stud. It’d be nice if Iggy did. Guys taken on day 3 becoming core players outside of ST on every roster is reasonably uncommon. For every 5th round pick that becomes Jordan Howard you’re generally going to get twice as many that become Airese Currie or Josh Moore. We’ve had depth guys from the day 3 guys we’ve had. The problem to me has been that since we missed in the early rounds those depth level guys have far too often been asked to play roles beyond their abilities. 

3 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I disagree about it being our biggest problem. The bigger problem to me by far has been the lack of impact players (high end starters, not just starters) from the guys at the top of the draft where you’re counting on that from them. It’s expected that Roquan becomes a 10-year stud. It’d be nice if Iggy did. Guys taken on day 3 becoming core players outside of ST on every roster is reasonably uncommon. For every 5th round pick that becomes Jordan Howard you’re generally going to get twice as many that become Airese Currie or Josh Moore. We’ve had depth guys from the day 3 guys we’ve had. The problem to me has been that since we missed in the early rounds those depth level guys have far too often been asked to play roles beyond their abilities. 

We've lacked younger quality depth for quite awhile which has cost us big time when starters went down.  I also believe many core player come from the middle rounds although they typically begin as ST guys and backups.  But I do agree our top picks have been hit and miss.  For every Alshon Jeffery we have a Kevin White or a Shea McClellin to offset a Leonard Floyd.  Under Angelo how many times did we re-draft the OT position and he failed to find LBs to replace Urlacher and Briggs or top shelf WRs.

Pace has done far better with his mid round picks than his predecessors and it's beginning to show.  We didn't have to re-draft for the Safety position or for RB because we have found starters in the middle rounds at both positions.  You expect top picks to become your "impact" players at least in rounds one and two and hopefully get a third eventual starter in round three. Rounds four and five are the middle rounds where I do expect to find some core players but admittedly it can be a crap shoot so some teams stock up on those picks hoping to find a starter or at least some quality depth.  So to say you miss on several to find one or two who do work out isn't wrong but how well you hit on those guys can make a huge difference.

Quite a few of Pace's mid round picks are still on the roster and contributing.  Some at a much higher level than others.  We still lack enough impact players but hopefully a few like Floyd, Smith, and Miller will rise to that level.  Others higher picks are lineman who have become difference makers albeit not guys who garner as much attention but both the OL and the DL are far more solid than they've been in awhile.  The only two spots on either line where there's competition for a starting role is at DE opposite Hicks on the defense and LG on the offense and even there Bullard and Daniels appear to be the front runners going into camp.  Overall it's a much better looking roster than I've seen in quite awhile.

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest problem this team has faced it has drafted more role players than stars.

Want to see where this is really evident? Look at the jerseys people are wearing to the games. Superfans like us have players we’re excited about, but outside of Trubisky, there’s nobody who appeals to the Average Joe.

17 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

The biggest problem this team has faced it has drafted more role players than stars.

Want to see where this is really evident? Look at the jerseys people are wearing to the games. Superfans like us have players we’re excited about, but outside of Trubisky, there’s nobody who appeals to the Average Joe.

Yeah, it would be great if Roquan turned into a star, not only for publicity as you stated but also just for on-field performance.

This is evident all over really. Highlight collages going into primetime games by ESPN, NFL Network and NBC have players like Beckham, Brady, Julio Jones, etc. but there are no more Bears.

Archived