Elliott Suspension Discussion

Texasmade

While it is a narrow exception and rare circumstance which a court interferes with an arbitral award, this [Elliott] case presents unique and egregious facts, necessitating court intervention

He specifically references Brady's case before delivering this opinion. Pretty sure he's saying this is quite different

17 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Well....

I'd be lying if said I had any idea what any of that actually means, but the laymen's version seems to be a long the lines, that this just bluster from the NFL, which ultimately isn't going to change anything. The process is still going to be long and drawn out, more than likely spanning past the length of the season, thus Zeke is likely still going to be available all season. 

6 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

I'd be lying if said I had any idea what any of that actually means, but the laymen's version seems to be a long the lines, that this just bluster from the NFL, which ultimately isn't going to change anything. The process is still going to be long and drawn out, more than likely spanning past the length of the season, thus Zeke is likely still going to be available all season. 

In order to get the Injunction against the suspension, the NFLPA had to show that Elliott would be irreparably harmed by not being allowed to play. With a football player's career being what it is, any games he misses he's never going to get again. Also, the Cowboys themselves filed a motion that they would be irreparably harmed by not having him. These are fairly standard decisions.

To get the injunction overturned, the NFL has to show that they are irreparably harmed by Elliott not serving his suspension immediately. It's unlikely that they can do that, since they suffer nothing at all (and, in fact, likely gain something) from his playing. If someone can demonstrate that the NFL is damaged in some way by Zeke being allowed to play until his court case is heard, then the NFL *may* have a case. As it stands right now, they have precisely bupkiss

17 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Been a while - just realized we migrated to a new forum... haha

Zeke's fighting a no-win battle, but it's disgusting how the NFL handled his case.  Reminds me of the O'Mara fine levied on the Boys and Skins during the lockout.

There's actually a good bit of reason to believe Zeke can beat this. The judge specifically referenced the Brady case and how its precedent both does and does not apply here before handing down the injunction.

Archived