Elliott Suspension Discussion

Texasmade

4 minutes ago, romo2bryant said:

i don't know if Zeke is guilty, if he is, he deserves whatever is in store for him. but man... roger better be right, cause jerry is coming for his head.

Independent of Goodell, Zeke needs to get himself together personally. Even if he is innocent, he's still guilty of repeatedly exercising seriously bad judgment. I get that he's young, but he's not the only young guy with money in the league. Hopefully this, or at the least the ~$8.5 miill he stands to lose, serves as a wake up call to get his life together. 

35 minutes ago, Texasmade said:

Independent of Goodell, Zeke needs to get himself together personally. Even if he is innocent, he's still guilty of repeatedly exercising seriously bad judgment. I get that he's young, but he's not the only young guy with money in the league. Hopefully this, or at the least the ~$8.5 miill he stands to lose, serves as a wake up call to get his life together. 

It's bigger than that. If the suspension stands, he very well could lose his chance to play in the NFL. That's huge. 

Very disappointing from more than just a football perspective for me.  Everything I have seen come out indicates that there's no proof he did anything wrong.  If I believed he did, I'd have no problem with he punishment.  He is appealing and I would hope he gets a reduction.

Our schedule is tough to start out, but DMC did run for over 1000 yards at 4.6 YPC 2 seasons ago.  He may not be the gamechanger Zeke is, but we should still have a respectable ground game.  We still have our Big 3 on the OL, so as long as Collins and the starting LG aren't incompetent, our line should still be plenty strong.  Dak will have to take on more responsibility.  We'll see, I believe in Dak.

22 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

It's bigger than that. If the suspension stands, he very well could lose his chance to play in the NFL. That's huge. 

If it stands he'll lose his chance to play for 4-6 games, depending on how the appeal shakes out. Any furuther losses are dependent on how much Zeke grows up and how he conducts himself of the field. Frankly, him having to operate under a zero tolerance policy wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, for him, the organization or the league.

Such a tough topic, but what the NFL does vs the transparency they give is just not right.  If Zeke did something, ok then this is warranted (and probably light) but the NFL should not just be able to run around make these calls "because we felt like it".  

The biggest thing for Zeke if he takes this to the Federal court system ala Brady will be as soon as the decision on the appeal is announced to file suit / appeal in a court other than NY.  No NFL player will ever win there.  He stands a better chance in OH, DC, DE or TX.  There has got to be some legal way to block the NFL from filing immediately as they know when the decision gets announced. I hardly see how that is fair and just.

I don't think the NFL particularly likes being a quasi-judicial system that has to conduct investigations and hand out punishments. But then that led to immense outrage when things like the Ray Rice incident happened. People were literally freaking out that the NFL wasn't coming down hard enough on Rice and mostly letting the actual criminal justice system play out. Yeah, now we're surprised the NFL is ramping up what is essentially arbitrary punishment for public relations? Don't get mad at the NFL, they're just doing what they've been forced and shamed into doing. It's the morons who pushed the NFL into this judicial role that need to be looked at. You know, the people who don't even give a crap about the NFL but will be all hands on deck if they can hashtag about it. 

20 minutes ago, Phire said:

I don't think the NFL particularly likes being a quasi-judicial system that has to conduct investigations and hand out punishments. But then that led to immense outrage when things like the Ray Rice incident happened. People were literally freaking out that the NFL wasn't coming down hard enough on Rice and mostly letting the actual criminal justice system play out. Yeah, now we're surprised the NFL is ramping up what is essentially arbitrary punishment for public relations? Don't get mad at the NFL, they're just doing what they've been forced and shamed into doing. It's the morons who pushed the NFL into this judicial role that need to be looked at. You know, the people who don't even give a crap about the NFL but will be all hands on deck if they can hashtag about it. 

Thats not how that transpired though. The NFL was given the tape of Ray Rice knocking the poop out of his girl. They chose to sweep it under the rug. In this case the girl was literally caught red handed lying about the assault and attempting to get others to cover her story. Polar opposites. 

24 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Thats not how that transpired though. The NFL was given the tape of Ray Rice knocking the poop out of his girl. They chose to sweep it under the rug. In this case the girl was literally caught red handed lying about the assault and attempting to get others to cover her story. Polar opposites. 

They're nonetheless linked. The NFL brushed that stuff because they aren't capable of conducting real investigations. They can't subpoena witnesses or compel the disclosure of evidence. I don't think they wanted to be in this position at all.

Even if the Rice saga was severely mishandled by the NFL we're in hypersensitive times. There are legitimate journalists talking about how the NFL "got it right." Got what right exactly? Essentially virtue signaled? The problem is coming from outside the NFL. The fact that the NFL is acting upon societal expectations and pressure isnt wholly their fault. Like I said I don't think the NFL wants to be doing this stuff.

I didn't think I could have hated Goodell more than I already did but wow... I stand corrected.  As idiotic and bumbling as he is, I gotta ask what the hell the players were thinking when they gave him the power to be judge, jury and executioner.  The most backassward part of this is that Zeke wasn't even in the NFL when this event allegedly happened.  

And ive now been an attorney for 17 years.  I know cases.  I have literally won multiple million dollar cases.  I can tell you that regardless of the standard of proof (preponderance of the evidence or beyond a reasonable doubt) Zeke would win this case every time.  It's clear she is trying to pass off old bruises as being caused by Zeke.  The NFL recognized those as false. But the NFL then makes the leap that she not lying about new bruises.  Her credibility is already shot.  Then, add to that that her own friend has text messages asking to to go along with a false story... the case would be over.

sadly, Jerry is going to be a good soldier just like Kraft.  He won't do anything to rock the boat.  

3 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I didn't think I could have hated Goodell more than I already did but wow... I stand corrected.  As idiotic and bumbling as he is, I gotta ask what the hell the players were thinking when they gave him the power to be judge, jury and executioner.  The most backassward part of this is that Zeke wasn't even in the NFL when this event allegedly happened.  

And ive now been an attorney for 17 years.  I know cases.  I have literally won multiple million dollar cases.  I can tell you that regardless of the standard of proof (preponderance of the evidence or beyond a reasonable doubt) Zeke would win this case every time.  It's clear she is trying to pass off old bruises as being caused by Zeke.  The NFL recognized those as false. But the NFL then makes the leap that she not lying about new bruises.  Her credibility is already shot.  Then, add to that that her own friend has text messages asking to to go along with a false story... the case would be over.

sadly, Jerry is going to be a good soldier just like Kraft.  He won't do anything to rock the boat.  

As always I appreciate your perspective.  I'm angry not as a Cowboys fan, but as a fan of the game who as a reasonably intelligent person cannot understand how the NFL decides to administer punishment.  This ruling, given the evidence, is beyond logic and reason.  Are we to believe that the police and prosecutorial investigators missed critical evidence during the initial investigation?  I am completely bewildered.  Sadly as desperately as I want Jerry to defend his player and take on the league, I am coming to the conclusion that given his recent admission to the HOF, that he won't rock the boat.  There will be some minor sabre rattling, but not a full fledged fight.  I feel sad for NFL players.  Given the climate of twisted rule enforcement, any social interaction that in the mind of a disturbed or vindictive individual does not go their way, they now have the climate in which to file questionable claims that could ruin lives and careers.  Don't get me wrong.  If it turns out that Zeke or any other player committed such a heinous act they should be punished.  But in Elliott's case this just reeks of a we are going to make an example of you regardless.  We will cherry pick evidence to suit our cause.  That's sad.  And dangerous.

4 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Jerry is already in the HOF. They can't boot him out, especially if he attempts to go after the league for this decision...the public would recognize it for what it is, vindictive retribution. 

I honestly see the suspension being reduced to one game, if not overturned completely upon repeal. If Josh Brown can admit to DV and get one game, there's no reason Zeke should receive a more severe punishment for alleged actions.

3 hours ago, Northland said:

As always I appreciate your perspective.  I'm angry not as a Cowboys fan, but as a fan of the game who as a reasonably intelligent person cannot understand how the NFL decides to administer punishment.  This ruling, given the evidence, is beyond logic and reason.  Are we to believe that the police and prosecutorial investigators missed critical evidence during the initial investigation?  I am completely bewildered.  Sadly as desperately as I want Jerry to defend his player and take on the league, I am coming to the conclusion that given his recent admission to the HOF, that he won't rock the boat.  There will be some minor sabre rattling, but not a full fledged fight.  I feel sad for NFL players.  Given the climate of twisted rule enforcement, any social interaction that in the mind of a disturbed or vindictive individual does not go their way, they now have the climate in which to file questionable claims that could ruin lives and careers.  Don't get me wrong.  If it turns out that Zeke or any other player committed such a heinous act they should be punished.  But in Elliott's case this just reeks of a we are going to make an example of you regardless.  We will cherry pick evidence to suit our cause.  That's sad.  And dangerous.

They had very little to gain.  A first time offender for DV would get a slap on the wrist.  Maybe some probation time.  Also considering the fact that he's famous, it would draw a circus.  They have bigger fish to fry and not enough resources to fry all of them.  Unfortunately, that's the way the legal system works. Fortunately, the NFL has plenty of money and time to conduct a thorough investigation.  And because of it has high standards for player conduct, it was willing to do so. 

What's #sad, is that Cowboys fans can ignore a detailed report of the events, thousands of text messages, a dozen witnesses and PHOTO EVIDENCE!  What more do you need?  What would it take for you to believe your little angel is guilty?  Ray Rice style video?  The amount of denial in the Cowboys fanbase in the face of overwhelming evidence in unbelievable.  The woman that was beaten is the victim here, not your season.  If that was your daughter, you'd be singing a different tune right now.

56 minutes ago, Gmen said:

They had very little to gain.  A first time offender for DV would get a slap on the wrist.  Maybe some probation time.  Also considering the fact that he's famous, it would draw a circus.  They have bigger fish to fry and not enough resources to fry all of them.  Unfortunately, that's the way the legal system works. Fortunately, the NFL has plenty of money and time to conduct a thorough investigation.  And because of it has high standards for player conduct, it was willing to do so. 

What's #sad, is that Cowboys fans can ignore a detailed report of the events, thousands of text messages, a dozen witnesses and PHOTO EVIDENCE!  What more do you need?  What would it take for you to believe your little angel is guilty?  Ray Rice style video?  The amount of denial in the Cowboys fanbase in the face of overwhelming evidence in unbelievable.  The woman that was beaten is the victim here, not your season.  If that was your daughter, you'd be singing a different tune right now.

But, you given the glaring holes in all of this, would be perfectly fine if this were your son, right? 

Archived