Elliott Suspension Discussion

Texasmade

I think it's a bigger deal that they are refusing to make available her testimony (according to the same source). I always gathered that knowing the evidence against you was an essential component to a fair hearing. There are a number of lawyers here... am I off on that?

Henderson also has denied requests for notes or transcripts of meetings with [Elliott’s accuser].

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

Oh great. Now arbitration will follow the NFL's lead and ignore the facts and look at only the discriminating evidence as well.

Zeke is screwed. Saddle up. Six gm suspension will be upheld. This is going to end up in court. 

H.H.. for some of you that dont know, is the lead arbitrator in this case. He is a former NFL executive and current legal council. The NFLPA **HATES** when he is appointed as he routinely just follows the leagues take. The rare exception that he went against the grain was Gregg Hardy and the only reason he did that is the league circumvented their own rules and over-suspended him by 8 games. 

I'm not surprised that Elliott is going to get rail roaded.  This is Goodell's version of "justice".  This league has no concern about DV.  They do however have a great concern with keeping sponsors and advertisers happy.  So they will serve up their sacrificial lamb, pat themselves on the back and say job well done. The NFL is a joke.

Again, I said this this was going to happen 6 months ago. Everyone scoffed but here we are. With the "I told you so" out of the way, I do believe it is going to get bumped to four games. No logic to it other than the case itself is so full of holes it leaks like a sieve. Just a hunch.

Either way, he will miss time. I posted something like this earlier but I feel it is worth revisiting.

Dallas is the only team playing 1 NFC East game. It is game 1 against NYG. The pros to this are:

1. We are at home.

2. It is early in the season so everyone is relatively healthy.

3. The Giants have not looked great in preseason, not that it is a sure indicator of anything, but it is encouraging.

4. ODB may be out or at least limited.

If we can win that game and beat the LA Rams and SF. We will be 3-3 and 1-0

in the division.

The NYG, Iggles and Skins all have to play one another in that 6 game span. SO if we beat the NYG, they already have 1 loss. If the Iggles beat the Skins and the N

NYG beat the Iggles, everyone in the NFC East has 1 loss in the division already.

To think that they will all go 5-1 is absurd with the schedule looming.

4-2 at best and I believe NYG have the easiest of the 3 teams in the NFC East during the early part of the season.

So I see us at 3-3,l Iggles at 3-3 and Skins at 2-4. NYG POSSIBLE 4-2/3-3.

If that is the case we will have:

1. A pi$$ed off Elliott, Irving and Moore, Hitchens, Gathers back.

2. Hopefully Switzer and the CB's we drafted will be working their way back into the mix.

3. Possibly only 1 game back in the NFC East lead and ZERO losses in the division.

4. And 5 games against NFC East opponents.

With 10 games to go at that point, 5 against division foes and 1 game back, it is safe to say we will be controlling our own destiny.

Question.

If the league stays with the 6 game suspension, or even reduces it to 3 or 4 games and Zeke wants to bring it to Supreme Court to fully clear his name. Can the commissioner put him on the exempt list until the court hearing? Thus totally boning Zeke for fighting to clear his name, causing him to miss an entire season, similar to the way the Greg Hardy case worked out?

22 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

Question.

If the league stays with the 6 game suspension, or even reduces it to 3 or 4 games and Zeke wants to bring it to Supreme Court to fully clear his name. Can the commissioner put him on the exempt list until the court hearing? Thus totally boning Zeke for fighting to clear his name, causing him to miss an entire season, similar to the way the Greg Hardy case worked out?

Fish seems to think so.  Gregory_Regularly, Lawyer on BTB who put together the heavily documented fanpost about the Zeke situation, says emphatically that Fish is wrong and that such action had to come much earlier in the process.

FWIW.

I don't believe he could put him on the exempt list when an NFL ruling has already been made.

Usually the exempt list is for the period in which the NFL is investigating to determine a suspension length.  Not once a suspension has been issued and is in dispute.  Otherwise, they would've put Brady on the exempt list.

3 hours ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

Hypothetically, if he were to have the suspension pushed back, how concerned would you be about that leaking into the playoffs?

This is a huge mess.  If Elliott gets suspended, it needs to be during the beginning of the season or he shouldn't miss any games at all.  It would not be fair to the Cowboys for Elliott to play during the regular season and then suspend him during the post-season for an issue that is going during this off-season.  If the appeal is still in process and it's ultimately decided Elliott will be suspended, it should carry over to the start of next season (2018-19 season) like Tom Brady's suspension.

Also, because this is a domestic violence case the NFL has to be very careful about reducing Elliott's suspension.  According to what I have heard about the case, there seems to be a fair amount of inconsistencies in the young woman's story, but since the NFL has gone on public record with a six game suspension - how would it look to lower that suspension?  A lot of people, unfortunately, do not care about details; they only see the headline in bold lettering domestic violence.  There is going to be a huge backlash if the NFL reduces this suspension.

10 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

What is taking so long to make a decision? Thought it was coming yesterday 

It's such a cluster flock I figure they're taking their sweet time as too given the impression they are doing their due diligence. 

Archived