What is your REALISTIC expectation for this year?

BigD1123

I've been thinking about it a lot. With all the coaching and player changes I honestly am not sure what to expect. What do you guys think will be the outcome this year. Also what would the outcome have to be for you to consider the move to Gruden a good one?

My expectations are that we see a very well coached team. I think 9 wins would be ok but I'd like to see 10 or 11 for me to be comfortable with all these changes. I'm worried about the tackle position as well as linebacker. I know we had a bad year last year but I honestly feel like lack of coaching lost 4 to 6 games. It is exciting thinking about how good we could be...but its depressing thinking how bad we could be. What do you guys think we will see this year?

I think we played well above our talent level and had a few games we could have just as easily lost that we won in 2016.  2017 our lack of coaching talent was exposed as it appeared teams easily found mismatches and we were unable to adjust.  this year I think we will see the D play better and adjust faster than the O.  We have holes but believe our O-coordinator is capable of heading some of them.  On the O side my main issue is the o-line.  We have one player that is proven and able to run what Cable and Gruden want to do and that is Hudson.  Penn KO and Gabe are not scheme fits and Penn's body is probably done.  That leaves us with the two rookies who look like scheme fits but are unproven.  Without the o-line functioning not much else will work.  I believe our 2 best o-linemen this year will be Parker and Hudson.  Also the team will have some transition pains this years and have a chance to develop if we can remain consistent with the schemes over the next 3 years.  I think we will be below .500 this year with a chance to sneak into the playoffs next year.

1, I wanna see a prepared team, which doesn't get outcoached week after week.

2, I want to see Carr back at his '16 level or above that

3, I want to see pressure from our DL on a constant level

4, I want to see a solid D overall without communication break downs

5, If we accomplish those, I would expect a 9+ win season and a chance for the divisional title or at least for WC

8 hours ago, Rolni said:

5, If we accomplish those, I would expect a 9+ win season and a chance for the divisional title or at least for WC

That'll about cover it! That's pretty much exactly what I'm hoping for and think we've got a good chance of getting. 

17 hours ago, Rolni said:

Really a great list and I think it can happen. I'm still not sold on Cable. And still not sure about our linebackers. But even if those 2 units are behind or weak I believe we can scheme around it.

My expectations on offense:

• Carr to rebound to 2016's form under Gruden
  • Cooper to take a massive step forward catching the ball and being a go to WR early in the offense
  • Running game to be average week over week with limited RB talent and expect Lynch to hit a wall
  • Oline to struggle in stretches. Growing pains at tackle with raw rookies and aging vets
  • Creative offense that exploits mismatches and is well prepared each week

Defense:

• Bend but don't break approach with some stretches being completely overwhelmed by good offenses
  • Creativity with Mack who will be back in the DPOY conversation
  • Improved CB play and more INTs
  • Struggles covering LBs and RBs because of poor LB and S talent
  • Improved but up and down pass rush outside Mack. Rookies trying to find footing and no know quantiity outside Mack and Irvin to much lesser degree

Overall:

• Expecting team to carry Gruden's passion each week. Prepared to play and a solid game plan
  • Some surprise cuts that divide fans as they trim to 53 man roster
  • Lots of FA busts from big class of signings

Predictions (for the team):

• MVP - Carr
  • DPOY - Mack
  • Comeback player - Cooper
  • DROY - Key
  • OROY - Parker
  • FA signing of the year - Nelson

10-6, maybe 11-5 with a playoff berth (WC or Div Title).

The offense should look a ton better without Downy soft calling a snow white vanilla offense. 

Find a RB to actually carry the load and stick with it. I don't want to see Marshawn backloading carries in the last 9 minutes of the 4th Q. That type of crap infuriated me last year.

Amari to put up or shut up. 

With the money and now picks we've invested in the O-line, Carr had better not need to be running for his life.

Consistent pass rush on D.

Stronger against the run game in the middle/secondary.

At some point during this season, I wan't to talk about how great (X) covered the TE today. 

Still a middle of the road, 8-8 team in my view. Still lacking talent in a lot of areas. Coaching will help, but it will take time. Typically only half of your FA signings pan out and your rookie class is pretty raw this year so I don't expect an immediate impact there. 

I don't trust the defense. There is a reliance on rookies to improve the pass rush. LBs still suck. Secondary is a question mark. Will need to come together quick to get over .500.

I do get the feeling Gruden wants to come out swinging and try to win now. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Still a middle of the road, 8-8 team in my view. Still lacking talent in a lot of areas. Coaching will help, but it will take time. Typically only half of your FA signings pan out and your rookie class is pretty raw this year so I don't expect an immediate impact there. 

I don't trust the defense. There is a reliance on rookies to improve the pass rush. LBs still suck. Secondary is a question mark. Will need to come together quick to get over .500.

I do get the feeling Gruden wants to come out swinging and try to win now. 

This is how I feel almost exactly.  76to 9 wins imo.  I'd love for us to win more, but I need to see more before I expect more.

6 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

This is how I feel almost exactly.  76to 9 wins imo.  I'd love for us to win more, but I need to see more before I expect more.

We won 6 last year when everything that could go wrong went wrong and a mediocre at best coaching staff. Just based on coaching alone, I think last years team could win at least 2-3 more games. If we're going across positional groups, we're improved at WR, improved at LB (whitehead and johnson are complementary to each others games and are both proven commodities), improved on the DL (I'm very sold on Hurst), and edge (ditto for Key), and Safety (prefer Gilchrist at the very least to Nelson last year).

Maybe I'm optimistic, but I see a very good team this year. There's talent infused at positions where we've lacked it for years.

I don't see 'a very good team''. I see a team with a talented core but to many holes to be a lock for a > 0.500 season. We could end up 12-4 but just as easily 6-10 imo.

So i expect us to win games we are not expected to win, and this forum to melt down party mode. And the next week we lose versus the Browns and this forum will melt down again.

Being one of the older posters on this site I remember Jon Gruden coaching the Raiders the first time.

He’s an offensive genius every week he would craft an offense specifically for the opposing teams defense.

ESPN would show how other coaches were copying his plays week to week.

With that being said I expect an explosive offense, 

10 -12 wins

Carr 4,000+ yards, 30+ TDs

Archived