David Tepper expected to purchase Carolina Panthers for record $2.2 Billion

Danger

4 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

I'm just quoting from the Yahoo article regarding the sale.  That's what he said his plans are.

Yeah, there aren't any flags from the Tepper track record like there were with Haslem, that's fair.    It's no guarantee, but man, even without hindsight Haslem's record was pretty iffy given the normal old-boy club standard the NFL likes to use.

30 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

There's a tweet by Adam Schefter (I have no idea how to share those things) that says he wants, "Continuity, stability, progressive thinking on player contract extensions, and not setting the market on free agents.  He wants the Steeler Way in Carolina."

So it will be the same.  Richardson's thing was always he wanted to be like the Steelers.

interesting, that's good for the onfield and in the building stuff.

Has there been any mention on the aesthetics and peripheral stuff with him? Like Uniforms etc

36 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

I'm just quoting from the Yahoo article regarding the sale.  That's what he said his plans are.

those plans out of another mans mouth got us justin gilbert johnny manziel danny shelton and cam erving with our first 4 first round picks
hnggg yes

52 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I find it interesting that the Panthers sold for an amount similar to the Houston Rockets. The Rockets have a significant market share in China (from when Yao Ming played in Houston) so there's an international appeal to the franchise. Houston is also the 4th largest city in the US and the Rockets were the only team in the city with a championship pedigree (well, until recently...)

Just imagine the money a "National" team such as Pittsburgh, Dallas or Green Bay would go for...

As of last year Forbes estimated #1. Dallas to be worth $4.8 Billion, #2 New England to be worth $3.7 Billion, #3 NYG to be worth $3.3 Billion. 

4. WAS $3.1B
5. SF $3.05B
6. LAR $3.0B
7. CHI $2.85B
8. HOU $2.8B
9. NYJ $2.75B 
10. PHI $2.65B

These were at the start of last season. I think my Eagles have probably climbed some with winning the Superb Owl.

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

interesting, that's good for the onfield and in the building stuff.

Has there been any mention on the aesthetics and peripheral stuff with him? Like Uniforms etc

I haven't seen it.  Hope he does away with the sucking up to the NFL for no reason shield at midfield though.  That's stupid.

52 minutes ago, mistakey said:

those plans out of another mans mouth got us justin gilbert johnny manziel danny shelton and cam erving with our first 4 first round picks
hnggg yes

Hopefully Tepper doesn't consult stewbums for his decisions. 

2 hours ago, TankWilliams said:

Man, 2.2 billion for the panthers seems huge.  Not downplaying them as a franchise, but it makes me wonder what a team like the Bears would go for in such a large market like Chicago, in the situation that they sell.  Virginia McCaskey has said it will never leave her family, but who knows what happens when her reign ends. 

Charlotte is a rapidly growing city to be fair. They are closing in on 1 million residents. The Panthers also have the advantage of being the only major sports franchise within a 150 mile radius.

5 hours ago, cddolphin said:

Forbes had valued the Panthers at $1 billion just 6 years ago.

For all the 'woe-is-me football is dying' talk, potential owners are dropping big bucks for mid-tier franchises.

Same selling price as the Houston Rockets. For all the talk of the NFL being the gold standard in terms of economic growth, this valuation amuses me. 

1 minute ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Same selling price as the Houston Rockets. For all the talk of the NFL being the gold standard in terms of economic growth, this valuation amuses me. 

To be fair the NFL team in Houston with less success and history, the Texans is worth $2.8 Billion. Market matters.

1 minute ago, Danger said:

To be fair the NFL team in Houston with less success and history, the Texans is worth $2.8 Billion. Market matters.

True, but all things considered, the NBA's current trajectory looks to have it pass the NFL in the next few decades.

7 minutes ago, Danger said:

No doubt in terms of revenue the NFL is still king. However, given the globalization of the NBA and the stark contrast in the rate of growth at the youth level for each respective sport, I think it's only a matter of time. 

Archived