David Tepper expected to purchase Carolina Panthers for record $2.2 Billion

Danger

7 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

No doubt in terms of revenue the NFL is still king. However, given the globalization of the NBA and the stark contrast in the rate of growth at the youth level for each respective sport, I think it's only a matter of time. 

yea it seems to be poised to be much much bigger, international audience will help it catch up to the NFL sooner.

I think it really is going depend on how the NBA sticks the landing when Lebron hangs it up finally, like they need to have a next wave of dominate but marketable players.

I have a hard time thinking it'll be hard to surpass the NFL domestically until football has to change to facilitate the injury/mental health stuff. Until then too many people are going to prefer that type of sport compared to the NBA.

16 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

True, but all things considered, the NBA's current trajectory looks to have it pass the NFL in the next few decades.

I wouldn't use the sale of the Rockets as the barometer. Huge international followings with Yao and Hakeem doing the majority of their work in Houston, 4th largest market in the US, championships in the trophy room...

Internationally, Rockets are a big deal and their selling price reflects this. 

3 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

No doubt in terms of revenue the NFL is still king. However, given the globalization of the NBA and the stark contrast in the rate of growth at the youth level for each respective sport, I think it's only a matter of time. 

You're not wrong there. Have any of you tried explaining football to a group of foreigners (be it from Europe or elsewhere)? I'm not sure it's possible to be done succinctly. 

7 hours ago, Danger said:

As of last year Forbes estimated #1. Dallas to be worth $4.8 Billion, #2 New England to be worth $3.7 Billion, #3 NYG to be worth $3.3 Billion. 

4. WAS $3.1B
5. SF $3.05B
6. LAR $3.0B
7. CHI $2.85B
8. HOU $2.8B
9. NYJ $2.75B 
10. PHI $2.65B

These were at the start of last season. I think my Eagles have probably climbed some with winning the Superb Owl.

JB0NB7V.jpg

Seriously though, I'd imagine you're right. Won the Super Bowl and have a leading candidate for MVP who is that young, price is probably right above Chicago and trending up.

10 hours ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Same selling price as the Houston Rockets. For all the talk of the NFL being the gold standard in terms of economic growth, this valuation amuses me. 

I would absolutely consider them the gold standard.  Would you rather own an NBA team or an NFL team?  Most people would probably rather have the NFL team.

4 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

"Tepper keeps a brass replica of a pair of testicles in a prominent spot on his desk, a present from former employees. He rubs the gift for luck during the trading day to get a laugh out of colleagues."

Nick-Young.jpg

Aw yus!  That's the kinda guy I want in charge!  ?

6 hours ago, Oregon Ducks said:

"Tepper keeps a brass replica of a pair of testicles in a prominent spot on his desk, a present from former employees. He rubs the gift for luck during the trading day to get a laugh out of colleagues."

Nick-Young.jpg

Does it work tho?

11 hours ago, cddolphin said:

You're not wrong there. Have any of you tried explaining football to a group of foreigners (be it from Europe or elsewhere)? I'm not sure it's possible to be done succinctly. 

best you could say is that's it's like rugby but with a lot more stoppages. That doesn't work for anyone outside of the UK, South Africa, or Australia though.

The NBA's problem is that there are too many regular season games that essentially don't matter. There are 30 teams and 16 make the playoffs. It's basically pointless to follow until later in the season. At least with baseball there are so few teams that make the playoffs that the games actually matter. 

Then to top it off the playoffs take 2.5 months to happen. Two series will end and they will wait a week to start the next one, for no other reason than they want the NBA finals to happen on a certain date in June. The season starts in October. That's an 8 month season, it's too long

EDIT: deleted false information, however my point still stands. They have 5x the games but pull in less money for a reason... The regular season doesn't move the needle for most people and even the playoffs are drawn out 

36 minutes ago, N4L said:

The NBA's problem is that there are too many regular season games that essentially don't matter. There are 30 teams and 16 make the playoffs. There are 4-5 teams every year that make the playoffs with sub .500 records. It's basically pointless to follow until later in the season. At least with baseball there are so few teams that make the playoffs that the games actually matter. 

Then to top it off the playoffs take 2.5 months to happen. Two series will end and they will wait a week to start the next one, for no other reason than they want the NBA finals to happen on a certain date in June. The season starts in October. That's an 8 month season, it's too long

That’s just blatantly false. In the past 5 years, only 3 NBA teams have made the playoffs with a below 500 record. None in the last three years. That’s no where near “4-5 a year”. In that same five years the nfl has had a sub 500 team make the playoffs too. I don’t even really like the nba but making up facts isn’t a good look. 

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I would absolutely consider them the gold standard.  Would you rather own an NBA team or an NFL team?  Most people would probably rather have the NFL team.

I think it depends on who you ask. You ask someone in Minnesota or Wisconsin, it's easily football. Ask someone in Indiana or Kentucky, it's basketball. 

Members on a site called FootballsFuture would pick football, members on a site called BasketballsFuture would pick basketball.

26 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I think it depends on who you ask. You ask someone in Minnesota or Wisconsin, it's easily football. Ask someone in Indiana or Kentucky, it's basketball. 

Members on a site called FootballsFuture would pick football, members on a site called BasketballsFuture would pick basketball.

Yeah, that's probably true.  Good point, ET.

Archived