This is America

Manny/Patrick

I cant really comment on this video without getting political, which will ultimately get this thread locked....all I'll say is, I'm not a fan....and I love Donald Glover.

5 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I cant really comment on this video without getting political, which will ultimately get this thread locked....all I'll say is, I'm not a fan....and I love Donald Glover.

You've piqued my interest, brb

9 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I've got a lot of interpretations for the video.  None of them speak very glowingly of Glover, who I think is a massive hypocrite, and not just in terms of this video.  Also, the song sucks. 

Is it because of who he's married to? If so - lame.

Just now, Desperado82 said:

Is it because of who he's married to? If so - lame.

I didn't even know he was married.  Has nothing to do with that, and it has everything to do with everything he does that is directly hypocritical to everything he says he is against. 

Video is good. I think it draws necessary attention to an issue that many think is dead.

I mean, some people don’t even know that their were still slaves in the Deep South until 1960.

I think the symmetry coded into it is smart as well. Dancing as he does to show that is pop culture and then under the surface of that you have the violence. And the dichotomy between the surface and then what’s beneath it.

Honestly though, I think he could’ve chosen to be even more provocative in his artistic statement.

When he was dancing in the school and used the assault rifle, I think a good idea for that moment would have been to show the unity of what a victim can be. I would have utilized kids from all backgrounds on stage. Show that tragedy unites us all under one banner.

For his last verse where he’s running in terror feels as though it is satire here. He is running away from this idea of America. In this America where he sees the harsh realities of racial nuances that play themselves out. He sees the struggles and just wants to be free of them, but they continue to follow him wherever he goes.

I think the concept is as provocative as and reminds me of the song New Slaves (2013), him running in the end makes me think of one of those New Slaves running away in fear of this America... that said, I know a good number of people probably will see it as a) not real/thing of the past b) not something that should be shown so lightly/to kids/this is not funny or c) clearly this means Childish Ghambino has a mental disorder.

I see this video as art and satire that addresses issues of a deeper scope. Similar to Dear White People, only the satire is even more provocative. Something to reflect on, but not to be outraged by.

Archived