How good is Jadeveon Clowney?

SBLIII

On 5/17/2018 at 8:41 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Brett Kollman gives a great breakdown of what makes Clowney so great. 

This exactly. This shows the growth and development of Clowney and his top tier athleticism and talent finally becoming one. 

He's as good of an athlete, if not better than just about every guy mentioned. The things that all the aforementioned had on him were technique, consistency, and good health. Now that he's developed better technique he can consistently be lurking in the backfield on passing downs with an array of moves. 

He can set the edge just as good if not better than any of the aforementioned. He can play as many, if not more positions on the defense than any of the aforementioned. He now just needs to put up the double digit sack numbers so people can be comfortable with putting him in the same breath as the aforementioned. 

I guess what I'm saying is, when it comes to the list above, he should be mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This was actually a very interesting watch, thanks. Even as a guy who watches every Texans snap, I didn't catch much of that until it was broken down in such a fashion. 

He sees a lot more progression in his technique - I don't, but perhaps I need to watch Clowney a bit more intently.

Compared to where he was at South Carolina, things are trending up. With more technique refinement, repetition and experience he can only get better. 

3 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

This was actually a very interesting watch, thanks. Even as a guy who watches every Texans snap, I didn't catch much of that until it was broken down in such a fashion. 

He sees a lot more progression in his technique - I don't, but perhaps I need to watch Clowney a bit more intently.

Brett has a huge crush on Clowney and he probably spent a whole lot of time since 2014 watching Clowney tape and saving the tape to see his growth. This is the second video he's done on Clowney and the growth shows. 

I feel like he still has(can) so much more to improve in his technique/refinement of his game. But his physical/natural abilities are so excellent it makes up for that. I also feel like he's hit his ceiling. I don't think his football IQ is good enough to improve in the technical aspect of his game.  At the moment, he's borderline elite, but the position is DEEP in today's NFL. I would take all guys mentioned above him without much hesitation. And I would take Bosa over him without hesitation if I had a choice between the two. Bosa continues to be criminally underrated. He's only been the best pass rusher since coming into the league...

2 hours ago, Nex_Gen said:

I feel like he still has(can) so much more to improve in his technique/refinement of his game. But his physical/natural abilities are so excellent it makes up for that. I also feel like he's hit his ceiling. I don't think his football IQ is good enough to improve in the technical aspect of his game.  At the moment, he's borderline elite, but the position is DEEP in today's NFL. I would take all guys mentioned above him without much hesitation. And I would take Bosa over him without hesitation if I had a choice between the two. Bosa continues to be criminally underrated. He's only been the best pass rusher since coming into the league...

He really hasn't been.

8 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He really hasn't been.

I was going to say that he really hasn't been underrated. Everyone knows the name of Bosa and consider him a top 10 pass rusher and apart of what many believe is the best pass rushing duo in the NFL. I am not sure how that's considered underrated unless you are thinking people should be groveling at the turf/ grass he plays on. 

On 5/18/2018 at 10:25 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Whenever I watch the Texans play my primary focus is on Clowney & Nuk. Two exceptional players, extremely glad he's become the player that he has today. And hopefully this upcoming season will put to rest any notion of him being a bust(even though I believe he's already done so).

Archived