Financial Experts say...

Mox

Is this savings you have access to or retirement? If it's savings you have access to, there's no way I'm hitting that. If it's retirement - between my HSA and 401(k) I'm going to easily hit that mark in 9 years. I did the math and I'll be at 5x my current salary by then.

18 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Is this savings you have access to or retirement? If it's savings you have access to, there's no way I'm hitting that. If it's retirement - between my HSA and 401(k) I'm going to easily hit that mark in 9 years. I did the math and I'll be at 5x my current salary by then.

This post legitimately made my day. We had talked about an HSA a few months ago, and now you've got one. 

1jjk8.gif

3 minutes ago, steadypimpin said:

What if my company reimburses me for medical expenses? Can I still open one or should my wife do one in her name? What kind of return do you average on one of those?

You need to have a HDHP, and presuming that you and your wife are on the same plan, you'll either both be eligible or neither of you will be. Check the link for the specifics on what constitutes an HDHP.

If your company reimburses expenses, you won't be able to use those receipts for qualified withdrawals. But you'd still be able to contribute and let it grow over time.

2 hours ago, MathMan said:

i dont plan on being alive upon retirement, but if by some chance i am, im going to give squalor a try 

May I suggest a gereatric crime spree? Robbing a bank is bad, but a 65 year old robbing a bank is kinda funny.

Archived