Greg Williams on Denzel Ward. Lets think about this more

brownie man

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/browns-defensive-coordinator-explains-why-they-picked-denzel-ward-over-bradley-chubb/

" There's another reason. I've got a video of 28 snaps of Myles Garrett pass-rushes last year where he gets within two steps or less of the quarterback when the ball comes out, basically, we aren't covering long enough to let him get to the quarterback. Myles and others -- especially [defensive end] Emmanuel Ogbah -- will get more chances because of Denzel."

When I first read this quote I kinda brushed it off, like oh yeah we need corner help. Yeah Denzel will help our pass rusher, but Chubb would've really been nice a trio of pass rushers add alot of value. 

But I started looking at this quote more it started to be more impactful 

Basically 

Myles Garrett is as good a pass rusher as we'll be able to get. There is probably no better pure pass rusher we'll be able to obtain. He's not there yet, but at some point, he will be the best defensive end in the league. 

So if Myles Garrett number 1 pick the perfect Dend prospect can't get to the QB because he doesnt have enough time than we can't expect anyone else to be able to do it. Like Myles Garrett is literally as good as it gets so if he can't get there no other aspect of improving the Dline is going to help him. Keeping him fresher is isn't going to help. 

So I'm much more comfortable with Denzel I was leaning toward him anyway, but this quote pretty much solidifies it. If Myles Garrett can't no one can so we definitely need a corner no way around it. 

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m talking corners, not Jabril being lined up for a pooch punt prevention.

Remains one of the least comprehensible long-term strategic decisions I can remember in professional sports. The only things I could compare it to were from teams that were actively tanking.

9 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Remains one of the least comprehensible long-term strategic decisions I can remember in professional sports. The only things I could compare it to were from teams that were actively tanking.

Well..... I mean.....we kinda were lol.

Ive never seen coaches tank though.  Front offices? Sure.  Not coaches.

4 hours ago, DizzyDean said:

Both Ogbah and Garrett staying healthy for a full 16 games will also do wonders for our pass rush.

That is the key to this whole defense IMO and what they are trying to do. 

Ogbah + Garrett have had their injures and unfortunatly Garretts goes all the way back to college as him being a little fragile. 

Which blows my mind even further how you dont get a 3rd insurance policy pass rusher in the draft. Harold Landry at 33 would have been...ummm...exactly that.

I've mentioned this before, it's the chicken or the egg all over again. Yes I would agree that a pass rush is slightly more important than a secondary, but the absolute fact is that you need both. You could have a d line of LT, Reggie white, deacon Jones and Alan page, but they aren't getting to the qb with dizzy dean, mind character and I in the secondary. But if you trade Reggie white for deion Sanders and put him on the #1 wr, now you can scheme how to "hide" dizzy and mind with lb and safety help. If management had Ward and chubb graded closely, then ward was the easy choice. 

One of the other reasons I think we picked Ward is we have put ourselves in a position moving forward to have the opportunity to go BPA with every pick in the draft.

Looking down the depth chart there is not one GLARING need I see. We have talent at every position now. Granted on paper but still it looks like the FO did their job. While there are some positions that are weaker than others, I think the 2019 Draft and hopefully moving forward in general allows for us to take the best football player on the board.

I was a big fan of Williams coming into last year. But how he used our DBs last year was hard to defend. A common fan could observe the issues with Peppers at “angel” and CBs eight yards off receivers and see it getting exploited, without adjustment, all year long. 

4 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I was a big fan of Williams coming into last year. But how he used our DBs last year was hard to defend. A common fan could observe the issues with Peppers at “angel” and CBs eight yards off receivers and see it getting exploited, without adjustment, all year long. 

Yeah there was never a wrinkle or anything,

That Indy game was the worst.  Jamar Taylor, imo, isn’t as bad as some make him out to be but he’s not going to cover TY Hilton in the open field one on one all day with no safety help. Not many dudes will.

Williams just let Taylor get roasted repeatedly as opposed to adjusting and at least trying a more traditional approach. Or a more absurd one that was at least different.  

19 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think Hue and Greggggg were btching so much to Sashi that they wanted to "show him" by playing ludicrous formations.  But I think they truly thought that was the best strategy, given the personnel they were forced to use.  I disagree personally, but I do think the dysfunction between FO and coaching staff was pretty deep.  I have no sources, as usual.  Just reading the tea leaves.

Archived