Movies you wish you could have seen in theaters when they were first released

August4th

13 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Jurassic Park was amazing in theaters.   Saw it opening weekend with my family on the biggest screen in the area.   I was 11.  I'll never forget that. 

Yep. Jurassic Park was so exhilarating when I first saw it as an adolescent. The first reveal of the dinosaurs with the swelling of the music was amazing. Sure, it’s now been gif’ed to hell but it’s legitimately an iconic movie moment. The T-Rex eye scene. So much of it.

T2 was the same way with the special effects. Just incredible to watch what is happening the first time.

The one I would have liked to see as an adult would be Empire Strikes Back. One of the best plot twists in the history of cimena. It would have been stunning to experience first hand.

I know I saw Jurassic Park in theaters but I was still pretty young and don't really vividly remember the experience. Jurassic Park themed birthday parties were all the rage in 1st grade.

Really wish I could have seen the original Star Wars trilogy. Walking out of the theater after ESB must have been awesome. 

I bet some of the Hitchcock movies would have been great in theaters too, like Vertigo.

Just now, fretgod99 said:

The one I would have liked to see as an adult would be Empire Strikes Back. One of the best plot twists in the history of cimena. It would have been stunning to experience first hand.

Yeah, this is really a top 10 cinematic moment of all time.  I was a kid when Star Wars was available on VHS and I never really watched them in the right order and I can't even track my first memory of watching the movies.  I grew up knowing Vader was Luke's dad.  There really isn't a single twist since this one that was as profound and gigantic, and I really wish I could have experienced it that first night.  The closest twist I think I could compare it to would be my experience playing Knights of the Old Republic.  I don't think there will ever be another twist as epic as that one in anything mostly because Hollywood just does not make original blockbusters anymore, so any huge twist will be spoiled by the source material long before it ever hits theaters. 

the opening scene from JP and that spitting dinosaur were the most terrifying moments for me as a child

makes me wonder how much scarier that film would of been if James Cameron got his hands on it.. in my dream world I would of had Spielberg direct JP and have Cameron take on lost world

As far as plot twists go, for as much as he’s bombed since then, you gotta give credit to Shyamalan for Sixth Sense. It’s sort of the hipster thing for people to claim they knew all along (and I’m sure some people did), but by and large, that was a pretty wicked reveal in what was a pretty good movie.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

As far as plot twists go, for as much as he’s bombed since then, you gotta give credit to Shyamalan for Sixth Sense. It’s sort of the hipster thing for people to claim they knew all along (and I’m sure some people did), but by and large, that was a pretty wicked reveal in what was a pretty good movie.

The fact it held the top spot for all of August that year (I looked it up to be sure) says that take is mostly BS (of course a few ppl likely figured it out).    A twist that's easy to figure out would never have made it such a hit.   I remember being absolutely floored when that scene showed up, and everyone watching with me all had "WTF!!" looks on their faces when the lights went on.

His work sucked for the longest time after that, and the audience caught on to look for hints to big twists in all his remaining movies (which he's never been able to reproduce to the same extent), but as a first trick, well, hats off.   It was a doozie.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

I remember seeing Jurassic Park in theaters. Think I was 3 at the time; talk about a hell of an experience for a kid. It may have been the first movie I ever saw in theaters too. Definitely appreciate it even more in hindsight.

As far as what movie I wish I could have seen in theaters, assuming we're talking about being at a reasonable age where we could in theory appreciate the work, it would probably be The Exorcist for me. Being a huge fan of the horror genre, think this would have been incredible to see in theaters where the special effects were at the peak of the industry.

3 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

I've always maintaned Shyamalan gets too much hate for certain movies, like The Village which I quite enjoyed.

I saw the theatrical re-releases of the original Star Wars trilogy and it left quite the impact on me.

As to films I missed on the big screen... I've always enjoyed packed theaters when it came to good horror movies (lacking recently), and I wish little adolescent cddolphin would have went to see The Ring in theaters.

The Matrix also springs to mind, even though I saw the 2nd and 3rd in theaters.

8 hours ago, fretgod99 said:

i didnt like the movie when i saw it in theaters. i thought it was dumb, and was making fun of it in my mind 

until the ending. 

which made it retroactively good for me.

3 minutes ago, MathMan said:

i didnt like the movie when i saw it in theaters. i thought it was dumb, and was making fun of it in my mind 

until the ending. 

which made it retroactively good for me.

I see dead people...thought ok it’s different but is it really that different? 

Then that ending....:ph34r: